Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I've got a hat jack on the way myself. I am going to try the same thing to a 7 1/4 stetson I have (take it to 7 3/8)

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Starting a hat shop

From the sound of it, there are more than a few regulars who either work in or are fortunate enough to own their own hat shop. Now I'm sure that there has to be some good advice that could be shared for an entrepreneur who would like to retire from the rat-race and instead share a love of quality hats with the locals.

I would love to hear the hows and why's

Maybe this should be a thread unless this has already been addressed??

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
If you need a jack quickly, Shepler's carries them.

Randy
Good to know. Thanks Randy. I haven't been out there since I got my last pair of boots and have never checked out their hat selection. My hat jack came in the mail last night so I gave it a shot. I wetted down the sweatband and gave the jack a few turns. I'll see how it worked when I get home today.

Rodkins said:
... I wetted down the sweatband and gave the jack a few turns. I'll see how it worked when I get home today.
Make sure you put some leather conditioner on that sweatband because wetting & drying removes the oils from the leather making it brittle over time. When leather dries, the evaprating water takes the oils & this is why leather draws up so much after being wet. The conditioner will return it to supple as much as it can. JMHO

gpsoldhat

New in Town
Akubra stylemaster

I'm thinking about buying the akubra stylemaster. The hat reminds me of one my grandfather wore and I believe It might have been a Stetson whippet

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
gpsoldhat said:
I'm thinking about buying the akubra stylemaster. The hat reminds me of one my grandfather wore and I believe It might have been a Stetson whippet

Welcome to the FL, tons of info here but I'm not seeing a question.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
Make sure you put some leather conditioner on that sweatband because wetting & drying removes the oils from the leather making it brittle over time. When leather dries, the evaprating water takes the oils & this is why leather draws up so much after being wet. The conditioner will return it to supple as much as it can. JMHO
I did and it worked very well. I did it in a few rounds of wetting and then stretching and it worked great. Nothing split or tore and the hat fits great now. Thanks for the help, everyone.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Lloyd said:
What's the best conditioner for sweats? Neatsfoot oil or ?????

I bought some Bickmore "Bick 4" a couple of years ago at a Western Store for my Lizard boots. Excellent for any leather, genuine, bonded or "imitation." Found it works great for dry sweatbands, maintaining, or stretching. Lasts a long time also and doesn't irritate skin on my melon. Just rub in and wipe off excess that hasn't soaked in after a while...hasn't discolored anything lighter that I have used in on...:)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm curious, if you want to reshape the crown on your hat, do certain crown styles need more room than others? I want to take a center dent pinch crown 4 3/4 inches and make it a tear drop crown with that great peak at the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff