Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jane

New in Town
How old is the hat and who can tell me more about This hat.

Attachments

• IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    805.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 94

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
did you not start this exact thread earlier today ?

there are places to ask these questions on this forum

not to mention Alan already answered you in the other thread

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Dimensions of Standard Band Blocks

I am wanting to create some wood band blocks and maybe some hat stretchers. I know that hats and heads are oval or elliptical and so are band blocks and circumfrence can be estimated using the formula C=2*PI(sqrt((1/2a^2+1/2b^2)/2)); where a and b are the corresponding diameters of the ellipse. Does anybody know a source that shows the dimensions of regular oval, long oval, X-long oval, wide oval for the various hat sizes or maybe the corresponding ratios of a and b for each of the ovals? I specifically am interested in 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 regular oval and long oval (the two measurements of interest are the diameter - long and short axis which are a and b). I know these are standard millinery dimensions but can't seem to find the dimensions listed anywhere. thanks.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dimensions of Standard Band Blocks

I am wanting to create some wood band blocks and maybe some hat stretchers. I know that hats and heads are oval or elliptical and so are band blocks and circumfrence can be estimated using the formula C=2*PI(sqrt((1/2a^2+1/2b^2)/2)); where a and b are the corresponding diameters of the ellipse. Does anybody know a source that shows the dimensions of regular oval, long oval, X-long oval, wide oval for the various hat sizes or maybe the corresponding ratios of a and b for each of the ovals? I specifically am interested in 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 regular oval and long oval (the two measurements of interest are the diameter - long and short axis which are a and b). I know these are standard millinery dimensions but can't seem to find the dimensions listed anywhere. thanks.

You might try Stratton Hats. They make felt "Trooper" type of uniform hats. These are "stiff" felt, like a drill instructor or Smokey the Bear hat. So they come in all sizes and shapes (read: oval).

Stratton makes stiff cardboard "sizing rings". Like a pizza box lid with the oval / size cut out. These are hard pressed quality carboard, sturdy enoug for a shop or uniform store to use fitting customers for years.

Might try to get some..they are relatively inexpenive..and they are perfectly cut to match all sizes and shapes.

THESE WOULD BE PERFECT TEMPLATES FOR YOU TO USE.

From Stratton Hats:
Custom Sizing
To ensure an optimum fit, Stratton offers custom-sized headwear to individual needs. Stratton has the broadest range of sizes and shapes offered by any uniform hat manufacturer today. In addition to the Regulars from 6-1/2 to 7-7/8, we offer Long Oval, Extra Long Oval, and Wide Oval in most sizes. Size rings available for measurement

Ken David

One of the Regulars
You might try Stratton Hats. They make felt "Trooper" type of uniform hats. These are "stiff" felt, like a drill instructor or Smokey the Bear hat. So they come in all sizes and shapes (read: oval).

Stratton makes stiff cardboard "sizing rings". Like a pizza box lid with the oval / size cut out. These are hard pressed quality carboard, sturdy enoug for a shop or uniform store to use fitting customers for years.

Might try to get some..they are relatively inexpenive..and they are perfectly cut to match all sizes and shapes.

THESE WOULD BE PERFECT TEMPLATES FOR YOU TO USE.

From Stratton Hats:
Custom Sizing
To ensure an optimum fit, Stratton offers custom-sized headwear to individual needs. Stratton has the broadest range of sizes and shapes offered by any uniform hat manufacturer today. In addition to the Regulars from 6-1/2 to 7-7/8, we offer Long Oval, Extra Long Oval, and Wide Oval in most sizes. Size rings available for measurement

Thanks Andykev, this is definitely an option in obtaining dimensions of different sizes and shapes of standard hat sizes. I was looking in some old publications (1920s) trying to find any information on standard Millinery Band Block dimensions (no luck as of yet but the search continues); I even pinged someone who provides custom made Millinery Bands and blocks for the industry with no luck (but they were willing to make a custom one based on my dimensions or from a conformateur reading). I know that these must be standardized (came across some old equipment such as an oval lathe used in the millenery supply business). I know I can make a custom hat band easily but I am interested in the math aspect. I am thinking that the ratio of the short axis/long axis determines if something is a regular oval, long oval, X-long oval or wide oval. e.g. for a perfect circle the short axis=long axis=diameter so for a circle the ratio would be 1 and some sort of value less than 1 for the other oval types.

bimfi

New in Town
As I mentioned in another post, I am new to hat wearing and buying. There are no hat shops close to me other than a Goorin Bros store downtown. So far I have purchased two fedoras online, and a Panama hat from Goorin Bros.

I'm just curious about the pricing difference from one establishment to another on basically the same hat. Here is a prime example: I went online to the "Bailey of Hollywood" site and found a trilby fedora, the "Duffy II" priced at $325. I then went on eBay and saw the same hat priced at $150. The one advertised on eBay says that it is new and unworn in its original packaging. So, why the big discrepancy? If I lived close to a Baileys, maybe I might pay that price, especially if I could try it on and get the feel for it. My first hat, the Borsalino, I purchased on eBay and paid $85 less than advertised at another shop. The first thing that came to my mind was that these could possibly be knockoffs, but I don't think so. Any thoughts or explanations would be very informative and appreciated. Thanks!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the input. I will try the "ask a question..." next time.
I only say that because based on the prices you are quoting you could find a better quality piece than a bailey

they are fine starter hats in my opinion but I've never seen one that held up to weather or was built with any quality

a Bailey hat for $325 sounds like complete insanity to me ... like timothiescloset type insanity ...

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The companies selling "hat's " today are in two different groups to me. Stetson and Akubra make good quality hats. An then there is everyone else. Once you start wearing a hat for a while you will never wear the Bailey or Goorin hats again. When you buy your first vintage Fedora you will under stand what a good hat feels and looks like on your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The companies selling "hat's " today are in two different groups to me. Stetson and Akubra make good quality hats. An then there is everyone else. Once you start wearing a hat for a while you will never wear the Bailey or Goorin hats again. When you buy your first vintage Fedora you will under stand what a good hat feels and looks like on your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1

Ken David

One of the Regulars
I have searched the forum and internet regarding listings of actual ratios for regular oval, long oval, X-long oval or wide oval with no real luck. Some of the old FL posts had links to other FL posts but they appeared broken (took me to an incorrect page). The only thing I can find somewhat related is from this post:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/is-long-oval-a-different-circumference.9712/

"Round oval is 5/8 inch longer than it is wide
"Regular oval is 1 3/8 inches longer than it is wide
"Long oval is 2 1/8 inches longer than it is wide
"X-Long oval is 2 7/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XX-Long oval is 3 5/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XXX-Long oval is 4 3/8 inches longer than it is wide."

I am not too sure how accurate the above is since using inches vs a ratio really is not correct for varying width/length of the oval. I was hoping to find some documentation from John Cavanagh (inventor of the "Cavanagh" edge) who originally introduced the concept of regular, long, and wide oval. I am thinking there may not be really a standard in the industry.

Regardless I guess it really don't matter, I will create the hat stretcher and band blocks to work with my custom measurement's.

Question: would a head/hat with dimensions of 6 x 8 1/4 be generally considered long oval (ignoring the above criteria)?

sasto1967

New in Town
IMG_7277-2.JPG IMG_7274-2.JPG IMG_7275-2.JPG IMG_7276-2.JPG IMG_7279-2.JPG

I had an interesting find today. I saw a hat in a closet and thought it was an old leather hat. Even handling I couldn't really tell what it was. I looked at the band and couldn't make out all the words, but inside a badge looking outline was "CLEARBEAVER". I also think there were three "X"s and it looks like "Houston" at the bottom. The hat shop listed on the band is in Bellville, which is just outside of Houston. Looking at the inside of the hat it is clearly not leather, and feels like my other beaver felt hats. Anyone have any idea if they did anything other than use this hat to make it look this way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner