Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is the correct number of hats a Man should be allowed to own at any given time? I currently have 49 (21 vintage, 4 custom, 10 straw, and 14 modern from the outlet in Garland). My wife says 35 is plenty - more than enough. I say 52 as a minimum. Over time I plan on moving the modern, outlet hats, to other homes and replacing them with more vintage and custom.

It’s not the money thing it’s the space all the boxes take up!

I have pointed out that she has 4 horses. That’s money and space!

BTW: This is all in fun. My wife is awesome. But I am curious?

What is the correct number of hats a Man should be allowed to own at any given time? I currently have 49 (21 vintage, 4 custom, 10 straw, and 14 modern from the outlet in Garland). My wife says 35 is plenty - more than enough. I say 52 as a minimum. Over time I plan on moving the modern, outlet hats, to other homes and replacing them with more vintage and custom.

All of them.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

boze

One of the Regulars
In anticipation of my first sweat replacement I gave my two light westerns a camp fuel bath for an hour apiece yesterday and I'm happy with the results. Should have gotten before pix. The felt is less dingy and not as stiff. I did ruin the already stained ribbon on the off brand silver belly that's awaiting the new sweat so that'll need to be addressed.
2fc1f7ee5bfdba9a9099dd35ec8e0e27.jpg
48b4ec15f7a75fb367e5cbfe61e859ca.jpg

I am not sure we are the right people to be asking about this! I have somewhere north of the 35 number (I stopped counting as I don't want to know). I declared a hiatus recently but am now equivocating.....there always seems to be one more hat that I need to add to make the collection "complete". I do find my collection problematic in two ways. One of course is the space. My wife recently reclaimed part of her half of the closet and needed to move hat boxes into the guest bedroom. Then we had a damn guest show up so I had to scramble to find a third option for the boxes. The second is my confusion on some days deciding which hat to wear. I have tried some manner of rotation, but nothing has really offered a solution. In some weird way I long for the day when I just had 5 or 6 hats.....life was simpler.

What is the correct number of hats a Man should be allowed to own at any given time? I currently have 49...
I am not sure we are the right people to be asking about this! I have somewhere north of the 35 number (I stopped counting as I don't want to know)...
The question that comes to my mind is, how many of those hats do youse guys actually wear regularly? I only have ten (not counting my five flat caps), but find I keep reaching for the same three as I'm heading out the door while the other seven sit collecting dust most of the time. I understand the "thrill of the hunt" aspect and/or discovering "that" hat that I/you/we just have to have; I have a couple of hats in mind right now waiting for the time when finances permit. But does there ever come a time when we realize, "Okay, this is getting ridiculous."

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be a wise guy here--I'm sincerely curious.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous."

Hell, Al, I get where you're coming from. I thought the same some time ago. I hope to get a handle on it soon. I only had one hat come in last week and am awaiting delivery on 'only' one this week.

It took me awhile to slow down on my cowboy boot obsession. That got really expensive.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The question that comes to my mind is, how many of those hats do youse guys actually wear regularly? I only have ten (not counting my five flat caps), but find I keep reaching for the same three as I'm heading out the door while the other seven sit collecting dust most of the time. I understand the "thrill of the hunt" aspect and/or discovering "that" hat that I/you/we just have to have; I have a couple of hats in mind right now waiting for the time when finances permit. But does there ever come a time when we realize, "Okay, this is getting ridiculous."

Seriously yes. More or less...

Prior to collecting hats I was accumulating/building up vintage mountain bikes. I think it maxed at 26 or so and I did reach a point where I had collected everything on my list and was willing to declare it complete. Since that declaration I have been selling off the ones I don't ride and am down to 12. This is my fallback position on hats......I can declare that based on my bike experience I am not addicted and I can "quit at any time". Apparently I have not reached that point just yet with my fedora collection. But when I do I can see myself selling off the ones I do not wear and settling for the dozen or so that I just cannot part with. To answer your question, YES, I do have hats that are not worn just as I had bikes I did not ride. But it was still a great pleasure to own them. I guess I am just afflicted with the collector's gene sequence.

My serious answer is that there are some that languish longer than others between wearings, but I wear them all.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I'm the same. The ones I don't wear as much are the ones I've personally made when I wasn't as proficient at the craft.
Where do you store your hats?

I have installed shelving in my bedroom and have 10 hats all resting on vintage display hat stands. I have another 10 or so on the shelves in the wardrobe. And a couple in hat boxes and a couple on the hat/coat rack in our hallway. But my hats are now battling my wife's shoes and handbags for space. So I'm looking for some creative hat storage ideas.

Obviously reducing the number of hats isn't an option. I now know that reducing "our" shoe or handbag collection isn't an option either ;)

boze

One of the Regulars

What size are you and what are the seven hats you don't wear and how much do you want for them? I don't have a problem I can quit whenever I want!

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Where do you store your hats?

I have installed shelving in my bedroom and have 10 hats all resting on vintage display hat stands. I have another 10 or so on the shelves in the wardrobe. And a couple in hat boxes and a couple on the hat/coat rack in our hallway. But my hats are now battling my wife's shoes and handbags for space. So I'm looking for some creative hat storage ideas.

Obviously reducing the number of hats isn't an option. I now know that reducing "our" shoe or handbag collection isn't an option either ;)

I have shelf in the closet, a suit valet, and then some large plastic tubs that are stacked in the office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit