Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Well, it will come as a surprise to nobody, but I'm already considering my next fedora. :D

As mentioned above, while I don't consider my fedoras "work hats," I do use them as a lifestyle accessory, like a jacket, gloves, etc... Therefore, I can see my fedoras as largely replacing my cowboy hats during the winter (we'll get to the Panama fedoras in a few months!). Firstly, fedoras are not as prone to being blown off, but they are also generally more comfortable for everyday wear, easier to wear in a vehicle, and they protect against the winter sun just as well. And they look so darn nice...

I've read about Akubras here, so I researched them and they look quite nice. Is it true they are one of the more weather "tolerant" fedoras? I like the Stylemaster, in either carbon or acorn. Also, it seems the Stylemaster has a bound edge; is that an advantage for durability, etc...?

Is there a "best" retailer to consider? Any sponsors of the forum? David Morgan seems like a logical choice but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Akubra is a divisive brand: there are those who love them and those that hate them. I'm in the middle.

The bound brim gives it more finished and/or dressy look. It is not a durability feature.

If you are going to give Akubra a try I recommend going with an open crown hat. The Campdraft and the Federation IV come to mind. I tried the Fed IV and didn't care for it. I do like the Campdraft and I keep meaning to try the Squatter. The Campdraft is the best deal out there for new production economy hats as long as you like the proportions and the thin ribbon. Check out the Akubra Overload thread for more. Akubras do have a reputation for dealing well with bad weather.

As to retailers, you'll find that Akubra makes certain models and certain colors within a model as exclusives for various retailers. David Morgan is fine, but you'll pay re than if you order it from Australia. Everything Australian often has the best prices. The Hattery (Hats Direct) often has the best in-stock rates, and I've had good luck with Hats by the Hundred. And to keep you confused, some Akubras come if different quality levels within the same model with different felt and sweats. Lots of diverse options on this with several people claiming the lower priced hats have better felt!?! Not a lot of consensus.

Now to my biggest issue: fit. Speaking only for myself, I have not received two Akubras is the same size that fit the same. This issue is compounded it You order online from Australia where returns are long and expensive. Akubras are also know to "shrink to fit" as their leather sweats contract more than most.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Akubra. Do your due diligence and read up on them before buying.

At your hat size there are lots of fastastic vintage hats that are absolutely incredible. I'd focus on vintage if I were you.

Is there anything more obnoxious or pretentious then when everything vintage is described as "bespoke". I hate that word more than most people hate moist

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4f114c86f1769b6496a33d3715836ba9.jpeg

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Is there anything more obnoxious or pretentious then when everything vintage is described as "bespoke". I hate that word more than most people hate moist

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Even some of our custom hatters use "bespoke" in a context I'm not comfortable with. There is a difference in made to measure and truly bespoke. Semantics? Perhaps, but with real meaning to me. I'm totally in agreement that vintage (even the best) has nothing to do with being "bespoke."

Akubra is a divisive brand: there are those who love them and those that hate them. I'm in the middle.

The bound brim gives it more finished and/or dressy look. It is not a durability feature.

If you are going to give Akubra a try I recommend going with an open crown hat. The Campdraft and the Federation IV come to mind. I tried the Fed IV and didn't care for it. I do like the Campdraft and I keep meaning to try the Squatter. The Campdraft is the best deal out there for new production economy hats as long as you like the proportions and the thin ribbon. Check out the Akubra Overload thread for more. Akubras do have a reputation for dealing well with bad weather.

As to retailers, you'll find that Akubra makes certain models and certain colors within a model as exclusives for various retailers. David Morgan is fine, but you'll pay re than if you order it from Australia. Everything Australian often has the best prices. The Hattery (Hats Direct) often has the best in-stock rates, and I've had good luck with Hats by the Hundred. And to keep you confused, some Akubras come if different quality levels within the same model with different felt and sweats. Lots of diverse options on this with several people claiming the lower priced hats have better felt!?! Not a lot of consensus.

Now to my biggest issue: fit. Speaking only for myself, I have not received two Akubras is the same size that fit the same. This issue is compounded it You order online from Australia where returns are long and expensive. Akubras are also know to "shrink to fit" as their leather sweats contract more than most.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Akubra. Do your due diligence and read up on them before buying.

At your hat size there are lots of fastastic vintage hats that are absolutely incredible. I'd focus on vintage if I were you.

Well, it will come as a surprise to nobody, but I'm already considering my next fedora. :D

As mentioned above, while I don't consider my fedoras "work hats," I do use them as a lifestyle accessory, like a jacket, gloves, etc... Therefore, I can see my fedoras as largely replacing my cowboy hats during the winter (we'll get to the Panama fedoras in a few months!). Firstly, fedoras are not as prone to being blown off, but they are also generally more comfortable for everyday wear, easier to wear in a vehicle, and they protect against the winter sun just as well. And they look so darn nice...

I've read about Akubras here, so I researched them and they look quite nice. Is it true they are one of the more weather "tolerant" fedoras? I like the Stylemaster, in either carbon or acorn. Also, it seems the Stylemaster has a bound edge; is that an advantage for durability, etc...?

Is there a "best" retailer to consider? Any sponsors of the forum? David Morgan seems like a logical choice but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I just re-read that you are a size 7 3/8. That's the size where vintage hats start to become rare and more expensive. Still, with some patience you'll find some vintage gems. Also give a look at the classifieds here at the Lounge as there were some hats listed recently in your size:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/classifieds.15/

And here's the link to the Akubra Overload thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-overload.33000/

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the notes on Akubra. As I’m so new to fedoras in general, what are some favored alternatives? I do love my Stetson’s, but I’m surely willing to explore.

Also, please school me on vintage (I won’t say bespoke! :) ) Where does one get started in looking for vintage hats? Classifieds here, I presume, and garage sales/thrift stores. But where does one learn what constitutes a quality vintage hat?

Thank you!

Edit: the post above crossed over with mine. Thank you for the suggestions and links!

Thank you for the notes on Akubra. As I’m so new to fedoras in general, what are some favored alternatives? I do love my Stetson’s, but I’m surely willing to explore.

Also, please school me on vintage (I won’t say bespoke! :) ) Where does one get started in looking for vintage hats? Classifieds here, I presume, and garage sales/thrift stores. But where does one learn what constitutes a quality vintage hat?

Thank you!

Edit: the post above crossed over with mine. Thank you for the suggestions and links!

I'd say to go slow. Hanging out here is a great primer. Watch the Post New Hats Here and the What Hat Are You Wearing Today threads.

eBay and Etsy are good places to look for vintage too. Dating the hats can be tricky even for those more experienced than I am (I really don't know much and I hope you understand that those with a little knowledge can be very dangerous). For common brands there are threads here on the Lounge that can help with dating.

The consensus is that hats made in the 1950s or earlier are best. At your size you might not get to be that picky.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
To piggyback on some of the Akubra posts:

I have 4 of them and wear them more than any of my other hats. Something about them not being irreplaceable really appeals to me.

I prefer the Fed IVs. Strictly the look I prefer over their other hats - in fact over most other hats in general. I have three of them and they are all a little different, but none of them possess any characteristics that bother me at all. They are all the slightly less expensive Imperial felt.

My brown one has been the most abused - sweated in, rained and snowed on, creased, blocked, recreased, reblocked and rererecreased, and it still comes up smelling like a rose.

I am a 7 3/8, 59 cm and these hats are true to size for me, although when I got them they were just a tad large. But over a short time they snuggled right up to my noggin and feel custom-fit.

Re bespoke hats: bespoke is custom made for one person. At one time a hat or garment may have been bespoke for somebody, but if you're the 2nd or later owner, they are not bespoke for you.

bradleyheathhays

New in Town
I've decided to see what I can do with some flat caps but so far the closest fit I'm finding is the s/m combined size. What I need is to find some place that has these style hats in either a small size or by specific numbered hat sizes. Believe I'm something like a 7 1/8. Have to be on a budget right now so I'm hoping to find something in the $20-40 range.

Any suggestions for an online supplier of flat caps like these?

To piggyback on some of the Akubra posts:

I have 4 of them and wear them more than any of my other hats. Something about them not being irreplaceable really appeals to me.

I prefer the Fed IVs. Strictly the look I prefer over their other hats - in fact over most other hats in general. I have three of them and they are all a little different, but none of them possess any characteristics that bother me at all. They are all the slightly less expensive Imperial felt.

My brown one has been the most abused - sweated in, rained and snowed on, creased, blocked, recreased, reblocked and rererecreased, and it still comes up smelling like a rose.

I am a 7 3/8, 59 cm and these hats are true to size for me, although when I got them they were just a tad large. But over a short time they snuggled right up to my noggin and feel custom-fit.

Re bespoke hats: bespoke is custom made for one person. At one time a hat or garment may have been bespoke for somebody, but if you're the 2nd or later owner, they are not bespoke for you.

And this is typical of Akubra owners. There is love, hate, and everything in between. I didn't like my Fed IV and just sold it on eBay. I do like my Campdrafts.

Style and aesthetics are such personal things. I'm not an Akubra hater. I like them and will probably buy more, but if I had a smaller head I'd be able to find more vintage hats in my size and I definitely prefer vintage.

Perry Underwood

One of the Regulars
Last edited:
"Acceptable" palm straw fedora styles? What do you think???

Not a lot of specifics to work with here. SunBody makes "fedoras" in two grades of palm and they are tough serviceable hats. My issues with them are:
They are heavy for a summer hat.
They are too warm.
The crowns are too low.
They have too much taper.
They are unrefined.

And still I own two and I'll buy at least one more before summer. They are the Akubra of palm hats...for good and bad.

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/category/6/fedoras-dress-amp-sporty.cfm

Perry Underwood

One of the Regulars
For fun, I did some searching, and I found something surprising. Village Hat Shop seems to have a Sunbody fedora style hat for considerably less than for sale at sunbody.com. The crown seems to be 1/4 inch higher at Village Hat Shop, but perhaps that's a typo.

The hat in question at Village: $52

https://www.villagehatshop.com/prod...op-guatemalan-palm-leaf-straw-fedora-hat.html

The hat at Sunbody. $84.60

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/209_6/3-inch-brim-fine-palm-tear-drop-fedora.cfm

Here's the hat. (Sunbody website)

Sunbody hat .jpg

For fun, I did some searching, and I found something surprising. Village Hat Shop seems to have a Sunbody fedora style hat for considerably less than for sale at sunbody.com. The crown seems to be 1/4 inch higher at Village Hat Shop, but perhaps that's a typo.

The hat in question at Village: $52

https://www.villagehatshop.com/prod...op-guatemalan-palm-leaf-straw-fedora-hat.html

The hat at Sunbody. $84.60

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/209_6/3-inch-brim-fine-palm-tear-drop-fedora.cfm

Here's the hat. (Sunbody website)

View attachment 100388

Your not comparing the same hats. SunBody makes two grades of palm. The fine palm is the hat for $84. The village hat shop hat looks to be the standard grade hat with the upgraded leather hat band.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
B!Wear caps are still just $35 (just like when I got mine 12 or 13 years ago!), and definitely good quality at that price. Note that they're eight-panel newsboy caps, not simple flat caps. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

But I have to caution you: I'm also a 7-1/8, and I got two different wool Mediums from them... One fits like a 7, the other like a 7-1/4 - neither is quite right. If you order from them, you should ask if you can specify exactly what circumference you need, since there's clearly some variation in their Mediums, perhaps due to the fabric thicknesses.

OTOH, that might no longer be the case. I got mine so long ago that I don't know if this advice still applies. Send them an email and ask about their sizing if you're interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy