Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cozy d

Familiar Face
I've decided to research my vintage hat collection. So far, I've found some were owned by a wetback, a chinky, a jew, and a coon, but luckily, I haven't come across any racists

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Well, I guess I'm no Don Rickles haha

Don Rickles.png

humanshoes

One Too Many
What really strikes me about that photo is that most of the men are wearing their hats really high on their heads. So much so that they appear to be at least two sizes too small. What's up with that? Have we changed, over the years, the way we wear our hats? Was it common to have more space between the top of the ears and the hat brim? My inquiring mind wants to know.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
What really strikes me about that photo is that most of the men are wearing their hats really high on their heads. So much so that they appear to be at least two sizes too small. What's up with that? Have we changed, over the years, the way we wear our hats? Was it common to have more space between the top of the ears and the hat brim? My inquiring mind wants to know.
The same thought struck me. I can understand a slight sideways tilt, but they were high enough to look like costume parodies.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Hats man ...hats

So it’s a Resistol ... a company that made as many if not more of those thin ribbon bound edge hats as Stetson

have you landed yourself an OR ?

I know you were in the market for one
Coming today! Can't wait, after having had the opportunity to actually handle one yesterday.

Jack Ruby was, or at least the hat he was wearing when he shot Oswald was. Made by Cavanagh Hats in New York, size 7¼ with a Cavanagh Edge.

Hat wearing was in a serious decline long before Kennedy entered the public consciousness. Most "experts" believe the increasing reliance on automobiles had far more to do with it than a single man regardless of the fact that he was President of the United States.

Ahem. Alleged murderer, if you please. Oswald was never tried for or convicted of killing then-President Kennedy, nor has he ever conclusively been proven to be the assassin regardless of the Warren Commission's conclusions. :D

HnKiUFO.png
+1

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
awesome !

looking forward to seeing it

nothing quite like Out For Delivery day
Alas, I went by the post office and they haven't received it yet! So out for delivery seems to be delayed a day. Not too big a deal as my Chatham Royal Deluxe is riding on my head in the meantime.

As I'm waiting for my Royal Deluxe Open Road to arrive tomorrow, I had the occasion to actually handle and try one on yesterday. My nearest hat store/hatter is 3 hours away but I had other business in that area, includng needing some work on one of my 6X westerns. While there, I saw a Royal Deluxe OR and got even more excited for mine- it is a very handsome hat.

I will wear it both brim up and brim down. I noticed that it (at least the model I handled today) is seemingly more oriented for brim up wear. Is it just a matter of steaming and shaping it to get it to snap down, or is this particular hat better shaped through wear? It did snap(ish) down, but less so than a more traditional fedora.

I read some other helpful threads on the OR, including those that discuss it's relative stiffness, but I think those were more referring to the crown than the brim.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Alas, I went by the post office and they haven't received it yet! So out for delivery seems to be delayed a day. Not too big a deal as my Chatham Royal Deluxe is riding on my head in the meantime.

As I'm waiting for my Royal Deluxe Open Road to arrive tomorrow, I had the occasion to actually handle and try one on yesterday. My nearest hat store/hatter is 3 hours away but I had other business in that area, includng needing some work on one of my 6X westerns. While there, I saw a Royal Deluxe OR and got even more excited for mine- it is a very handsome hat.

I will wear it both brim up and brim down. I noticed that it (at least the model I handled today) is seemingly more oriented for brim up wear. Is it just a matter of steaming and shaping it to get it to snap down, or is this particular hat better shaped through wear? It did snap(ish) down, but less so than a more traditional fedora.

I read some other helpful threads on the OR, including those that discuss it's relative stiffness, but I think those were more referring to the crown than the brim.
I've only handled modern ORs in stores ... JR had some when I was there last ...

they were a touch stiff but not terribly ... they were factory creased into a nice cattleman ...

I always think a cattleman creased hat looks better brim up but I have seen some guys make it look nice snapped as well

the hats I handled had a bit of a snap to them ... they seemed to be true to size as well

I handled one in sage that was quite nice actually

if I owned one I might iron the brim down so it is more flat than they come ... the hat had a bit more of a flange than I enjoy on that style hat

looking forward to seeing yours

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I've only handled modern ORs in stores ... JR had some when I was there last ...

they were a touch stiff but not terribly ... they were factory creased into a nice cattleman ...

I always think a cattleman creased hat looks better brim up but I have seen some guys make it look nice snapped as well

the hats I handled had a bit of a snap to them ... they seemed to be true to size as well

I handled one in sage that was quite nice actually

if I owned one I might iron the brim down so it is more flat than they come ... the hat had a bit more of a flange than I enjoy on that style hat

looking forward to seeing yours
I admit I'm curious about how the Cattleman crown will look with the brim snapped down. I've seen some threads here with pictures of the brim snapped down and it looks great; but I think the OR looks fantastic either way. I've also read about some people who change the crown to a more traditional fedora-like crown, but I think I will like the variety presented by the Cattleman OR. I'll handle mine and see if it needs a little steam or an iron. I think it will take on a life of its own.

My hat was shipped parcel select, so I'm guessing delivery today (or tomorrow) might be optimistic even if USPS is saying expected delivery today. Oh well, first world problems... ;)

Well, that's kinda cool. Where is this recorded, is the hat on display?
After reading Doug's initial post on the subject I Googled "Jack Ruby hat" and a number of websites were listed that described the hat being sold at auction in 2009; some of those sites quoted the accompanying documentation that described the hat and it's provenance through Earl Ruby, Jack's brother and Executor of his estate. The documentation also mentions that Jack's name and the name of the store "Jas K. Wilson/Dallas" were/are embossed in gold lettering on the sweatband. As far as I know it is currently on display at the Sixth Floor Museum on the sixth floor storeroom of the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas, TX, from which Oswald allegedly fired at Kennedy.

...More importantly, what were Mr. Ruby's opinions on climate change?
I don't think the term existed while Ruby was alive, and haven't seen mention of any such opinions on the matter. My guess is he didn't think about it much beyond uttering a simple, "Damn it's hot today," on occasion. ;)

After reading Doug's initial post on the subject I Googled "Jack Ruby hat" and a number of websites were listed that described the hat being sold at auction in 2009; some of those sites quoted the accompanying documentation that described the hat and it's provenance through Earl Ruby, Jack's brother and Executor of his estate. The documentation also mentions that Jack's name and the name of the store "Jas K. Wilson/Dallas" were/are embossed in gold lettering on the sweatband. As far as I know it is currently on display at the Sixth Floor Museum on the sixth floor storeroom of the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas, TX, from which Oswald allegedly fired at Kennedy.

I don't think the term existed while Ruby was alive, and haven't seen mention of any such opinions on the matter. My guess is he didn't think about it much beyond uttering a simple, "Damn it's hot today," on occasion. ;)

Thanks!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
image.jpg
I admit I'm curious about how the Cattleman crown will look with the brim snapped down. I've seen some threads here with pictures of the brim snapped down and it looks great; but I think the OR looks fantastic either way. I've also read about some people who change the crown to a more traditional fedora-like crown, but I think I will like the variety presented by the Cattleman OR. I'll handle mine and see if it needs a little steam or an iron. I think it will take on a life of its own.

My hat was shipped parcel select, so I'm guessing delivery today (or tomorrow) might be optimistic even if USPS is saying expected delivery today. Oh well, first world problems... ;)

Greetings All: i think they look pretty ok down. Kinda depends on the hat’s nature.
Be well. Bowen

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
View attachment 101990

Greetings All: i think they look pretty ok down. Kinda depends on the hat’s nature.
Be well. Bowen
I like it Bowen- thank you for sharing. I like the idea of front and back snapped down too. I think the Cattleman crease allows for that.

Truthfully, many fedoras can handle the front/back snapped down. I was watching the movie the Untouchables (millionth time) the other day (great hat movie) and noticed many of the fedoras were in a bit of disrepair (well worn) with the "dual snap."
0.jpg

It's been postulated that one of the reasons that mens' heads appear to have gotten larger over the last 50 years is, in part, because we are wearing hats lower on our heads now. This doesn't completely fit as lots of old photos also show men wearing hats lower as well.

I've yet to hear a convincing answer on why mens' average hat sizes have gone up so much over a short time period.

Back to the photo, maybe it was a regional thing? To each their own but it's not a look I like.

It's been postulated that one of the reasons that mens' heads appear to have gotten larger over the last 50 years is, in part, because we are wearing hats lower on our heads now. This doesn't completely fit as lots of old photos also show men wearing hats lower as well.
Yeah, I'm not buying that one either. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because men started wearing their hair longer in the 1960s--longer/more hair = larger hat size. Of course, I have nothing more than casual observation to support my theory, but that's my M.O. so I'm sticking to it. :cool:

glider

A-List Customer
Why is an 8 panel Kroger cap called a Kroger cap. Looks like a standard newsboy. Levine in St Louis has one and states that it's union made, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Interesting theories and observations fellas. For the facts I turned to the Forensic Anthropology Center here in Knoxville. They have the largest collection of contemporary human skeletons in the United States. This article in the Huffington Post seems to support the fact that our skulls are, indeed, getting larger as time passes. Still doesn't explain why so many men of the 30s and 40s wore their hats so damn high on their heads, but interesting, none the less.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/americans-heads-getting-b_n_1559002.html

Yeah, I'm not buying that one either. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because men started wearing their hair longer in the 1960s--longer/more hair = larger hat size. Of course, I have nothing more than casual observation to support my theory, but that's my M.O. so I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Interesting theories and observations fellas. For the facts I turned to the Forensic Anthropology Center here in Knoxville. They have the largest collection of contemporary human skeletons in the United States. This article in the Huffington Post seems to support the fact that our skulls are, indeed, getting larger as time passes. Still doesn't explain why so many men of the 30s and 40s wore their hats so damn high on their heads, but interesting, none the less.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/americans-heads-getting-b_n_1559002.html

I chalk it up to the same as for the reasons men have gotten taller, etc. over the years. Better prenatal care, better health care, that sort of thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR