Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
So .... to jump in here with a related topic, I wear a 61 / 7 5/8 hat perfectly. Out of the box, most 61s or 7 5/8s fit me just right. (I've always been in bewteen a "XL" & "XXL" but that's a different conversation, mostly being up to the hatmaker.) My related question: I've always bought 61 / 7 5/8 sz hats, but after reeading of shrinkage, should I go up to a 7 3/4 on, say, fur felt fedoras to account for the shrinkage. Just something I've been wondering, again mostly as I've been reading these boards (and thinking about my Stratoliner and if it's going to shrink up).

All of my hats, new, vintage, or custom, that fit initially still fit the same now...with the exception of Akubra. I’m a 7 5/8 long oval and my Campdrafts and Fed IVs either arrived too small or became that way with some usage. I’ve divested myself of my Akubras except for two Campdrafts and they are size 62 (7 3/4) and they have shrunk to where they require time in a hat stretcher to be wearable. Akubra has been the only brand where the sweats have shrunk like this. Personally, I order up a size in Akubra and occasionally use a hat stretcher. To me, the hats are worth it.

If your looking at anything other than Akubra I would order my true size and not worry about shrinkage.

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWillyM.

New in Town
Hey all . New member to the forum and I was wondering if anyone here can give me some information on a hat I picked up from a auction. The box and inside the hat say it is a Borsalino Raleighs. Just would like to know about when it was maded and any info anyone has. I shall upload some pictures I also took off the hat. thanks in advance for your help.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157475185@N03/albums/72157689728179360

Hey all . New member to the forum and I was wondering if anyone here can give me some information on a hat I picked up from a auction. The box and inside the hat say it is a Borsalino Raleighs. Just would like to know about when it was maded and any info anyone has. I shall upload some pictures I also took off the hat. thanks in advance for your help.

Hey, BigWilly! Great way to come into the house, sir!! My guess is that you bought a mid 1960s beauty. Raleigh's was likely the retailer. A nice find... $30 bought a nice quality lid then! Wear it in the best of health, my friend!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
All of my hats, new, vintage, or custom, that fit initially still fit the same now...

If your looking at anything other than Akubra I would order my true size and not worry about shrinkage.

It is possible for the sweatband of any modern new hat to shrink, even just a little bit.

I have a couple of hats, from one of our FL hat makers, that I purchased second hand, but were about as new as a used hat can be - iow, virtually unworn and pristine. Both are my standard size but were swimming on me initially. But with some sweat packing and wear, they no longer require the packing, and fit me fine now.

It is possible for the sweatband of any modern new hat to shrink, even just a little bit.

I have a couple of hats, from one of our FL hat makers, that I purchased second hand, but were about as new as a used hat can be - iow, virtually unworn and pristine. Both are my standard size but were swimming on me initially. But with some sweat packing and wear, they no longer require the packing, and fit me fine now.

I have no doubt that this is the case, but so far with my hats I’ve not experienced sweatband shrinkage. Except for Akubra and I’ve yet to not experience it with Akubra. The shirnk to fit aspect is really off putting. I’m still thinking of ordering another Campdraft (moonstone) inspite of my dislike of the sweats.

You're welcome, and welcome to the Lounge, Will!

Leather is still leather, Scott. It shrinks when drying after exposed to any moisture. I've even noticed shrinking of my leather belts over the years.

Shrinkage has been a problem for man for eons...

I agree, but remember any fur felt hat can shrink if it hasn't been properly cared for throughout it's life--left in a hot car on a summer day, dried incorrectly after being soaked in a rainstorm, and so on. Many of us have read the stories here from members who bought a vintage/used hat online that was smaller than it's size tag suggested.

@Cisco Kid, if you're buying new I'd stick with your known size since that seems to be working for you. Don't let the discussions about shrinkage associated with Akubra hats rattle you--that's a known quality that, so I'm told, is unique to Akubras and hasn't been experienced with other modern hat manufacturers.
And I have not experienced it with Akubras either.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings BigWilly:
Big welcome to the lounge and thanks for sharing a fine hat. I’d say you’re well named, stepping in in a BigWayWilly. You gotta love a Borsa. Look forward to seeing more of your hat adventures. Good get my friend.
Be well. Bowen

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey BigWilly:
Check out the Borsalino Brotherhood thread. This hat will be right at home.
Bowen

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I've got two Stetson Skyline fur felt hats that fit well, but I find I sweat quite a bit with the inside leather bands. My local (3 hours from me) hat shop sent me a couple of those microfiber (Dry-lex I think) inserts that attach with velcro strips to the front of the inside of the hat sweat band.

However, now the hats fit a little too snug. Should I gently stretch the hats with steam and a hat stretcher to accomodate the new inserts? Or should I suck it up and sweat in the original configuration until the leather bands soften and become more permeable?

[QUOI't ="Zombie_61, post: 2399758, member: 12440"]Sounds like you need to take a trip south for a week or so to a climate where you can work up a proper sweat in them and dehydrate 'em a bit like the rest of us. ;)[/QUOTE]
Yeh i guess i dont sweat enough cuz i have no problem with the leather shrinking on any hat.

Sounds like you need to take a trip south for a week or so to a climate where you can work up a proper sweat in them and dehydrate 'em a bit like the rest of us. ;)
Yeh i guess i dont sweat enough cuz i have no problem with the leather shrinking on any hat.
There's the reason. The sodium and moisture in our perspiration slightly dehydrates the leather Akubra uses for their sweatbands, and that's what causes them to shrink. C'mon down to Los Angeles in August or September and you'll shrink 'em right down. :cool:

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Question about hat boxes. Just received a brand new Akubra styemaster from Everything Australia from the Australian distributor, was disappointed it did not come with the branded Akubra hatbox. Just a plain shipping box with a cardboard brim support. Don't hatmakers use branded hatboxes anymore? My last Akubra from 8 yrs ago came with an Akubra box.

Question about hat boxes. Just received a brand new Akubra styemaster from Everything Australia from the Australian distributor, was disappointed it did not come with the branded Akubra hatbox. Just a plain shipping box with a cardboard brim support. Don't hatmakers use branded hatboxes anymore? My last Akubra from 8 yrs ago came with an Akubra box.

I've yet to receive an Akubra box. Stetson, Dobbs, Resistol still do.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have plenty of new Stetson and Dobbs hat boxes. I go down to Hillsboro and Temple on occasion. I could meet up with you if you want/need a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21