Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. rogerstg

rogerstg A-List Customer

FWIW, in the US, labeling laws require the amount of wool to be disclosed on the label, and fur fiber is defined as, "the hair or fur fiber — or mixtures thereof — of any animals other than the sheep, lamb, Angora goat, Cashmere goat, camel, alpaca, llama and vicuna."

That means that anything labeled as fur felt will not have any type of wool unless it is also specified and it's percentage disclosed.

2. The problem is there isn’t a content label of any kind. The sweat being marked “4X Beaver” isn’t the same as a content label. Some of the new hats will say “fur felt,” but the vintage hats I’m referring to don’t make any reference to the content/material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfokker, Zombie_61 and rogerstg like this.
  3. rogerstg

rogerstg A-List Customer

True, though at least since 1939 and maybe prior, wool content was required on labels. It still doesn't help with beaver content, but at least we can be certain that there is no wool in a fur felt hat unless specified.

4. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

Hello All, Not a hat question per se, but why is the "X image" coming up instead of the photos themselves? I'm unable to view photos that I just viewed yesterday. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Seems to be a common issue today.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  6. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

Thanks Fruno. Maybe it's a website problem and the IT guys will fix it. I hope.

7. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

All of a sudden many of the post images refuse to load. About half of the forum images no longer show a photo, only an image tag. Did I hit a wrong settings button somewhere. Never had this issue before. This is what I see now when anyone posts an image: Okay, got it![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Same problem here. Some photos load, some don't. Be patient folks, they'll sort it out.

M Hatman, Redfokker and Wyldkarma like this.
  9. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

+1

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

10. Walter Neff1940

Walter Neff1940 One of the Regulars

This question is in regards to vintage hats verses new hat size.
    I was looking a t a vintage hat marked 7 1/4 and it measures inside 22 3/16. I measured my vintage Adam and it measures 22 5/8 an dis also a 7 14.
    I measured a newer 1970's 7 1/4 and it measures almost 22 3/4

Why so much difference? Ron

psklenar and deadlyhandsome like this.
  11. The 22 5/8 and 22 3/4 Are actually very close the being the same. All manufactured goods will have some variations and when you add in different makers and different eras, and the nature of dealing with natural materials (fur felt and leather) is it any wonder that there are differences? I have a Resistol in 7 1/2 that fits perfectly, and I have a Bailey in 7 3/4 that is too small. It’s just the nature of such things. It’s also why it is always best to be able to try them on prior to buying if possible.

If you want to really scratch your head try buying shoes online.

12. Walter Neff1940

Walter Neff1940 One of the Regulars

Thank you very much. I have only bought one pair on line and luckily they fit. At 61, I remember the days when you could actually go to a store and buy clothes/shoes and they actually fit according to the size. The trouble I am having is the vintage straw sizes.
    Ron

psklenar and deadlyhandsome like this.
  13. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

I personally like the Ramsay without the feather and the brim snapped down in the front. To me those small changes and the crown make it a winner.

Steven

14. Ramsay, no feather, brim up!

15. Ramsay without the feather and brim up or down; dealers choice. And good call on vented crowns with shantung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

No lie on the venting. That Shantung can get pretty warm in the sun!!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  17. I’m not too far behind you. I also remember ordering from the Sears and Roebuck catalog and hoping items would fit.

psklenar and Walter Neff1940 like this.
  18. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

The one with the squarer crown wins it for me, hands down.

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. Interbak

Interbak One of the Regulars

Ramsay for sure, wins on all fronts, ditch the feather. I just wish Biltmore was still in Guelph, used to love stopping in at the factory outlet store a couple times a year.

20. nvilletele

nvilletele One of the Regulars

As mentioned earlier, I dropped the dime on the Ramsay, and left the Guelph be.

Re vented crowns, though not shantung (it's toquilla), I was looking at the Palermo, which I only found in the 2014 SS Biltmore catalog. Has quite a big vent. I was comparing it (an 8x) against a higher quality Panama, the Biltmore Panama Supreme (12x, whatever these x's are supposed to mean), which is not vented. Here are the two hats:

Palermo
    Image 6-10-18 at 4.14 PM.jpg

Supreme
    Image 6-10-18 at 4.13 PM.jpg

Which do you folks like between these two, and why? I know which I like, but as usual it took me a little time to make up my mind.