Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I suppose a lot of members here on the lounge run into that problem with sellers as a lot of people can't even read a tape!
This hat has just the vintage 1/4 tag it is new,I would assume it is 7 1/4 as I have not seen any 6 1/4 hats.
If indeed it is a 7 1/4 that's a big difference from 22 5/8 to 22 unless he really doesn't know how to measure.
C.C

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It's not just a question of reading the tape. Measuring circumference can be tricky even for those that can read. I would say that if you are sure that you are indeed size 1/4, and the hat in question is tagged 1/4, there is a good chance that it will fit more or less well. Just remember that each size is a range, not a fixed point. Of course, it's not uncommon for old hats to be a little smaller or bigger than expected. But if you like the hat and the price is right, go for it. I think the odds may be on your side.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's not just a question of reading the tape. Measuring circumference can be tricky even for those that can read. I would say that if you are sure that you are indeed size 1/4, and the hat in question is tagged 1/4, there is a good chance that it will fit more or less well. Just remember that each size is a range, not a fixed point. Of course, it's not uncommon for old hats to be a little smaller or bigger than expected. But if you like the hat and the price is right, go for it. I think the odds may be on your side.

If the size is different from the tag, it will probably be just a little smaller, perhaps one size down, and you could easily have the hat stretched to fit again. These hats won't shrink like wool.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Whippets are a hot item these days. When you get the hat let us know. Hopefully, it will turn out to be affordable and just right for your needs. Good luck! ;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Ouch! that's hard to say. What do you mean by fair? Going prices for Whippets are conspicuously high these days (particularly in your size).

Are you asking what it will likely sell for in an open auction? Send me the link privately (by PM) and I will give you my opinion. By the way, I'm not your size and will not be in competition for the hat.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
If your looking to win it on ebay in that size and depending on color, $165 - $275+. Whippet prices can get pretty crazy and some colors are more desireable than others.

B
My next hat is going to be an Open Road I'll probibly buy that this spring. Now for my birthday in August I am toying with getting a VS by Art Fawcett to do a Whippet clone. CC you might want to try that.

Jeff

:arated:
If the size is different from the tag, it will probably be just a little smaller, perhaps one size down, and you could easily have the hat stretched to fit again. These hats won't shrink like wool.

The leather sweatbands will draw up with age even if just sitting & pull the felt in with them. Good thing is, they'll stretch back to original size easily, unless the leather is dry & too brittle. I have a few 7 5/8 marked vintage hats that are tight to my brother who is a 7 3/8.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Hello,FL members I have a chance to get a 7 1/4 tan Stetson 20 Playboy with the round yellow box I was wondering if they are worth very much?It is a Canadian made Hat.
Are the Canadian made hats worth more or less?Is there any difference?The hat is in nice condition.
Thanks for any Advice,C.C.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello,FL members I have a chance to get a 7 1/4 tan Stetson 20 Playboy with the round yellow box I was wondering if they are worth very much?It is a Canadian made Hat.
Are the Canadian made hats worth more or less?Is there any difference?The hat is in nice condition.

It's not clear to me that there are fixed expected price ranges on most models of vintage hats on E Bay. There is probably a somewhat small pool of bidders for the hats, and prices depend on who's got the fire on a certain day, how much money to spend, or how many beers they've had when they see the auction. I think it's rather ad hoc, although prices climbing to above $100 seem common now. Some models such as Whippets seem to go higher. Otherwise, all depends on the mood of the day, I say.

I've had a couple of Canadian made Open Roads = just as nice as any USA made ones that I've had. I couldn't tell any differences. Worth? Can't help there. I paid about the same for the Canadian made as the USA made, some may put a premium on the US ones just because...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart