Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T Rick

Practically Family
has any one heard of this hat ? richman brothers black stinky and does any one have a photo of one?
Hmm... does it look like this one?
KidsSkunkHatSm.jpg
(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

While many vintage hats do have odors.... I believe the hat is being referred to as a stingy (short brim). See this post for a pic of a Richman Bros stingy (the blue hat).
RichmanBros

B

Very nice looking hat, quite a bit like the vintage Bond Fifteen stingy I just got from an eBay auction (my first "real" hat!). More incoming, pics as soon as I figure out how to work the web cam... :D

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmm... does it look like this one?
KidsSkunkHatSm.jpg
(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Very nice looking hat, quite a bit like the vintage Bond Fifteen stingy I just got from an eBay auction (my first "real" hat!). More incoming, pics as soon as I figure out how to work the web cam... :D

We need a beaver hat like that, with the flat tail in back. Then, there would be no doubt that it's a beaver hat, for any doubters there may have been.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hey my fellow hat lovers. I'm looking for a nice black or grey Homburg any suggestions on where to find one other than ebay and other such sites?

Unless you can't find one in your size, ebay is the way to go. Since Homburgs aren't favored by most hat wearers today, you can still find plenty of tremendous vintage Homburgs at comparatively low prices.

You can also put a "want to buy" ad in the Lounge Classifieds. Be sure to state your size.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Unless you can't find one in your size, ebay is the way to go. Since Homburgs aren't favored by most hat wearers today, you can still find plenty of tremendous vintage Homburgs at comparatively low prices.

You can also put a "want to buy" ad in the Lounge Classifieds. Be sure to state your size.

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks I guess I'll keep ebay hunting.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

Do you want new or vintage? Also, how much are you willing to pay? There are some makers who make decent Homburgs out there, but they will probably cost more than their vintage cousins.

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face

Hello Alan-Eby!

Try Christys in the UK. They do a new bowler at around $120 in fur felt although they're not what they used to be
Olnley hatwear UK.
D bar J in Vegas do a "historical bowler"

But zetwal is right. The art of the bowler and Homburg to some are a dying art. And to get the best examples of this the best bet is to got ebay and buy vintage. You'll just get a better qaulity made hat. We have loads in the UK ebay. All going rather cheap, just a few bucks.
The crown on modern bowler is probably a little too low, and the brim not given a tight pencil roll, ( imho )

But it's up to you really.

Have fun'

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Not so different to me, one has a crease the other (while sometimes stiffer) does not.
Should I find an affordable bowler I'll crease it myself and make a Homburg.

That is interesting. I was under the impression that bowlers were extremely stiff (as the cracks in the poor condition ones demonstrate), and the homburgs I have run into are soft, more like fedoras with a curl.

Have you done this to a bowler? I am interested to see how well it has worked.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I have not done that, but my great grandfather used to buy bowler's (maybe just open crowned hats) and crease them himself. I wish I had one of his old hats that would be amazing, but he'd wear one hat till it wore out. In my limited experience Bowlers while stiffer can still be creased, I've worked with hats for a long time (mostly western styles) and am pretty confident in being able to crease a bowler. I'll let you know how it goes if I get the chance to do it sometime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats