Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Perhaps @alanfgag could weigh in. I believe he uses wire shelving.

I do use wire, not from a grand plan, but because we had a unit that was ready for reuse. We had two actually, one we sold at a yard sale. Donna, in an act of ultimate kindness, ran into the friend who had purchased it and bought it back, so I should have two for my hat storage. We have a couple of spare rooms in the house that once were kid's bedrooms. One has become a workroom that houses my hat collection and tools and Donna's sewing table. A work in progress.

The wire shelves are very sturdy without needing a back support so they are open on two sides. We have a three story turret in our 19th century house and the shelves are set against rounded walls, leaving quite a bit of extra depth in the back. The wire shelves are fifteen inches deep, with heavy guage wire/rod about 1 1/4" apart. Because of the depth, I can fit five stacks of hats on each shelf, each stack holding 3-5 hats, depending on the ribbon height. I use foam rings to space the hats in each stack to protect the ribbon and to minimize any marks on the felt from stacking. Stacking will create some pressure marks on the felt over time. My steamer is in the room and I use it every day to freshen the hats before wearing. I have found no marks created on the underside of the brim from storing the hats on wire shelves.

The ceilings are high - I can store 6 piles of 3-4 hat boxes on the top of the shelving, which I use for those hats that seem like they might like the protection of a hat box. I have fashioned hooks that I use on the outside and the front of the shelving units as needed. At full capacity, I can store close to 300 hats in this area. I have vowed to stay under that number.

I do think it makes sense to plan for more storage than you need at the moment.

hatstorage.jpg

Last edited:
I do use wire, not from a grand plan, but because we had a unit that was ready for reuse. We had two actually, one we sold at a yard sale. Donna, in an act of ultimate kindness, ran into the friend who had purchased it and bought it back, so I should have two for my hat storage. We have a couple of spare rooms in the house that once were kid's bedrooms. One has become a workroom that houses my hat collection and tools and Donna's sewing table. A work in progress.

The wire shelves are very sturdy without needing a back support so they are open on two sides. We have a three story turret in our 19th century house and the shelves are set against rounded walls, leaving quite a bit of extra depth in the back. The wire shelves are fifteen inches deep, with heavy guage wire/rod about 1 1/4" apart. Because of the depth, I can fit five stacks of hats on each shelf, each stack holding 3-5 hats, depending on the ribbon height. I use foam rings to space the hats in each stack to protect the ribbon and to minimize any marks on the felt from stacking. Stacking will create some pressure marks on the felt over time. My steamer is in the room and I use it every day to freshen the hats before wearing. I have found no marks created on the underside of the brim from storing the hats on wire shelves.

The ceilings are high - I can store 6 piles of 3-4 hat boxes on the top of the shelving, which I use for those hats that seem like they might like the protection of a hat box. I have fashion hooks that I use on the outside and the front of the units as needed. At full capacity, I can store close to 300 hats in this area. I have vowed to stay under that number.

View attachment 152169
Thanks! Always fun to see the collection, if only partially.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I have an antique press that I use for rivet and snap setting for my leather work and I also have an arbor press from Harbor Freight that I've had my local machinist specialize for leather die stamping. I just ordered a set of the Osborne 16L button dies and they will go straight to the machinist when they arrive, but I can't see spending $200+ for the Osborne press when I can do a workaround for a fraction of the cost.
I ordered my #16 button dieset lastnight, they are machining the shank for me for a $10 charge to fit my Rowley press. Let me know if you find flat backs for the buttons in size 16. They are sending me canvas backs as a sample, these are used in the bridal industry and have a small squishy nib on the back and will lay flat.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I ordered my #16 button dieset lastnight, they are machining the shank for me for a $10 charge to fit my Rowley press. Let me know if you find flat backs for the buttons in size 16. They are sending me canvas backs as a sample, these are used in the bridal industry and have a small squishy nib on the back and will lay flat.
I'm waiting for the dies before I can even begin to modify the press. I just bought 100 fabric cover buttons off the bay for less than $10. I'll have to wait for them to come from China, but I'm in no rush. They are the loop back which is the same style as on my Akubra Campdraft. They should be just fine for the occasional wind/trolley cord that I get a request for. Let's trade notes and see how it goes.

I'm waiting for the dies before I can even begin to modify the press. I just bought 100 fabric cover buttons off the bay for less than $10. I'll have to wait for them to come from China, but I'm in no rush. They are the loop back which is the same style as on my Akubra Campdraft. They should be just fine for the occasional wind/trolley cord that I get a request for. Let's trade notes and see how it goes.
What do you plan on using for the cord?

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I've been using elastic beading cord and dying it to match the ribbon. Not quite as narrow as the originals, but pretty close.
Do you have a link to brand and kind you like? I was trying to find stretchrite branded beading cord but no luck. Then researching elastic beading cord and it turns out there are 3 kinds and since I can't find them locally I can't examine which one that would be most appropriate.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Do you have a link to brand and kind you like? I was trying to find stretchrite branded beading cord but no luck. Then researching elastic beading cord and it turns out there are 3 kinds and since I can't find them locally I can't examine which one that would be most appropriate.
I use the Dritz from Joann that comes in black and white and is only slightly thicker than my vintage cords. It's inexpensive, easy to find, and the white takes the dye well. I haven't tried any of the others so can't speak to those. https://www.joann.com/dritz-beading-elastic-5-yrds/prd2905.html

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

The ceilings are high - I can store 6 piles of 3-4 hat boxes on the top of the shelving, which I use for those hats that seem like they might like the protection of a hat box. I have fashion hooks that I use on the outside and the front of the units as needed. At full capacity, I can store close to 300 hats in this area. I have vowed to stay under that number.

View attachment 152169
And the tennis ball hangers. Genius!!
B

Bcraig

Familiar Face
Well I am thinking ahead about hot weather and I am wanting a straw hat.

I Have a straw hat for Mowing and piddling around the house already.

I am Looking for a nice looking straw Fedora or Panama for everyday wear when I leave the house going about the day .
Vintage ,New ?

I am wanting a Hat made 100% in the USA ,not just finished in the USA,
Made of Real straw from the USA .

I would appreciate some names or links for such a hat.

Thanks

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
Well I am thinking ahead about hot weather and I am wanting a straw hat.

I Have a straw hat for Mowing and piddling around the house already.

I am Looking for a nice looking straw Fedora or Panama for everyday wear when I leave the house going about the day .
Vintage ,New ?

I am wanting a Hat made 100% in the USA ,not just finished in the USA,
Made of Real straw from the USA .

I would appreciate some names or links for such a hat.

Thanks

I am curious; why does it have to be 100% made in USA?

I am from the USA and believe in buying USA made Products as much as possible.
Always Have
Almost 100% of Panama hats are harvested and woven in Ecuador, then finished by a hatter at the location of their destination. You will be hard pressed to find a straw hat made in the US from raw US materials. If you do, it likely would be some awful polypropylene thing that you'll regret buying.

In this case, just get the real thing.

You could buy a Milan made in the USA. But I no idea where the material comes from.
Proper Milan is sourced from China. I'm pretty sure that's where Art gets his. Not certain about Optimo.

Upon consideration, there's always hemp. Not certain of sourcing, but a Peters Bros or Stetson hemp milan could be an option. Not quite as light or the look of a Panama, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ