Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tsores

Familiar Face
Does anyone know if Tilley hats run true to size? I am interested in a Waxed Cotton OUtback. I had the opportunity to try on the Tilley Airflo model and they ran very small.

Thanks for any help provided.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Mine all seem to fit true to size when new. Over the years (decades) they have all shrunk but nothing a stretcher won't help. I don't take very good care of those, just throw them in the backpack and take them out as needed.

Mine all seem to fit true to size when new. Over the years (decades) they have all shrunk but nothing a stretcher won't help. I don't take very good care of those, just throw them in the backpack and take them out as needed.

The model I own is nylon rather than cotton. I put it through the washing machine a couple of times a year. I don't pout it in the dryer, just place it on a metal hat stretcher to air dry. Works like a charm.

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
I found an interesting offer, but the hat is dirty with some bad looking stains.
The ribbon could be replaced, but replacing the bond-edge would be a b.....
Will naphtha or soap water get it clean?
What do you think?

Marque-Grand-Luxe-2.jpg
Marque-Grand-Luxe-3.jpg

Last edited:
...If you brush a felt hat in natural sunlight, you will see a lot of fibers floating around in the air, so I highly recommend using a mask. I am pretty sure they could be harmful if aspirated regularly...
I don't own any vintage hats so I had never considered this, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Even if someone says it was their father's or grandfather's hat and that it's been in a closet for several years, you/we don't know the hat's history and can't know what kind of harmful particulates--asbestos, for example--might have lodged in the felt over the years. Felt fibers might be the least of your concerns. But then, it makes sense that this advice would come from a Doctor. ;)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I don't own any vintage hats so I had never considered this, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Even if someone says it was their father's or grandfather's hat and that it's been in a closet for several years, you/we don't know the hat's history and can't know what kind of harmful particulates--asbestos, for example--might have lodged in the felt over the years. Felt fibers might be the least of your concerns. But then, it makes sense that this advice would come from a Doctor. ;)
And I have and use plenty of masks every day. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I found an interesting offer, but the hat is dirty with some bad looking stains.
What do you think?

View attachment 162112 View attachment 162113
It almost never works, in my experience. You end up replacing the ribbon and taking the brim binding off, or accepting the stains and calling them "character".
The first time I asked Ignacio to replace a brim binding, he made up all kind of excuses not do it.
He finally confessed he hates it, and charged me extra.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Kane

One of the Regulars
Hello, I am following up on a question I asked here recently concerning the quality of Stetson’s Premier felt vs. an older 4x Beaver felt. As mentioned before, after receiving your wise input I pulled the trigger on a new Premier Stratoliner that was on EBay. The hat arrived today, and I wanted to pass along that this is a very nice hat. The hat came with an open crown and the felt is lovely, very soft, a great feeling felt and a good looking hat. I have a recent Stetson Royal Stratoliner, and the Premier Stratoliner looks to have less taper to the crown, and the felt is completely different. The markings and labels are a bit curious: The liner is a Royal Deluxe liner, the same as on my not too old Royal Deluxe Open Road, but the printing on the sweatband and the paper label inside of the hat say Premier Stratoliner. The label on the box is not the standard printed label with number codes and a bar code: it is mearly hand written in a Shrapie with the name, color, hat size, and brim width. I have read that the Premier hats are made with the Royal Deluxe felt in an open crown, but this felt is very different from the felt of my Royal Deluxe Open Road, it is much softer and lighter. Really a nice hat. Thanks again for your spot-on advice.
Cheers!

With warm weather approaching, I’ve been thinking about getting a Peters Brothers hemp Milan hat. Peters Bros. website has been a mess for a long time, but now it’s all but nonexistent. It looks like they started a come revision (much needed) and then stopped 10% in. The site has remained the same for months. I’ve emailed them and they have responded, but it feels they just aren’t all that interested and certainly not trying too hard. I makes me wonder what the quality of their hats are. I’m hesitant to send them any money...they just give me that feeling. Has anyone done business with them recently (2019)?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Just picked up a nice Worth & Worth but the wind trolley button is free floatin....anyone know how to stabilize that/where it goes?

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
I mean it's danglin, swingin around the hat. Lol. It doesn't seem to have a fixed spot. Is there something to do with it? Should I clip it orkeep it?

What do you think?

View attachment 162112 View attachment 162113
I have not had much success with getting stains out of ribbon. Even in the naptha bath process the stains still remain. The felt cleans up nicely but the ribbons not so much.

Nice. Got it, that a good brushing with a decent brush helps "cean" it out. How about this-what is the danger?

What's the harmful thing here? Had not considered a mask situation in the cleaning/prep to wearing a vintage hat.
I just retired after a 10 year career in industrial health and safety as an indoor air quality tech. I would suggest that unless you are sensitive to dust then the fibres/dust created by brushing your hat will not be harmful to your health. If you watch a custom hatter as they sand a felt body I have yet to see one don a mask. Both the volume and the exposure time are at the very low end of the hazardous exposure continuum that they do not present a danger unless as I stated you have a sensitivity or allergy to dust.

I just retired after a 10 year career in industrial health and safety as an indoor air quality tech. I would suggest that unless you are sensitive to dust then the fibres/dust created by brushing your hat will not be harmful to your health. If you watch a custom hatter as they sand a felt body I have yet to see one don a mask. Both the volume and the exposure time are at the very low end of the hazardous exposure continuum that they do not present a danger unless as I stated you have a sensitivity or allergy to dust.

That’s good to know.
I had one of my clerical staff file a grievance a few years ago where she claimed our indoor air quality was unhealthy. Two months and several thousands of dollars later we we finally told our indoor air quality fell within “acceptable” parameters.

That’s good to know.
I had one of my clerical staff file a grievance a few years ago where she claimed our indoor air quality was unhealthy. Two months and several thousands of dollars later we we finally told our indoor air quality fell within “acceptable” parameters.

Yes, a goodly chunk of my work was what I called 'chasing ghosts'...that is investigating complaints of unhealthy indoor air quality made by somewhat paranoid employees that were convinced the air was killing them. The average PPM of dust in office buildings is in the 12 range. I would have fun with folks slapping my cotton work shirt next to the Particulate Metre and watch the readings jump into the mid 100's ....demonstrating that they carried more dust on their clothing than the surrounding environment. The funniest was a contractor's office with an employee complaining of allergic symptoms as soon as he arrived at work. I did a thorough investigation and as the office had likely never ever been cleaned or vacuumed the static dust levels were over the moon once disturbed. We presented the owner with a $2000 invoice and the recommendation they conduct a thorough house cleaning. The owner exploded..."you mean to tell me I spent $2000 for that a..hole and you are telling me the simple remedy is he needs to vacuum?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner