Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Any one have any experience with Rittenhouse hats from the 40's?...

... this was my father's "good" hat that he purchased from Monig's Dept. Store in Ft.Worth back in 1947 (receipt was still in hat box and showed he bought it in January of 1947 and paid $20.00 for it ) . He only wore it in the winter and only when he wore a suit on Sunday's and other "suit" type occasions up to the 60's when it went back in the box as it was "...out of style" and started wearing a stingy brimmed Knox ( it never looked right on him IMHO :) ) Here's some stats on the hat:
2.375" bound brim
5.5" open crown
1.75" brown hat band/bow
.375" gey/tan binding
and here's some pics of the hat:

Squatter1015.jpg

Squatter1018.jpg

Squatter1017.jpg

Squatter1019.jpg

Squatter1020.jpg

Any one here familiar with this manufacterer? It's a very smooth, soft finish hat and that is the original crease as my father wore it :)

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Wow that is amazing! And the attachment you have to it is fantastic! Thanks for sharing it! Sorry I don't have any answers I'm just awestruck!! Does it fit you?!

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Well sir there is no hat I know of with a better historical significance. Congratulations on the best lid a guy could own...

hag

New in Town
I just picked up a nice J.C. Penney marathon, a 3x beaver. I assume it was mad for Penney's by a known hat manufacturer. Any ideas?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Please help me find a thread about wild/unique/odd/interesting liners. I know it exists, as I can recall specific hats in the thread. There's one of GWD's that has golfers, and bolthead's checkered flag Stetson Challenger liner is in there. It's a great thread that needs a bump, and I know it's out there somewhere.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Please help me find a thread about wild/unique/odd/interesting liners. I know it exists, as I can recall specific hats in the thread. There's one of GWD's that has golfers, and bolthead's checkered flag Stetson Challenger liner is in there. It's a great thread that needs a bump, and I know it's out there somewhere.

Sorry, I give up. I remember it also, but can't find it. I think the problem is the thread title wasn't about liners.....

B

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've even been searching within threads, using words like "liner", "liners", "golf", "golfers", "challenger", "checker board", and "wild". I got nuthin'.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I've even been searching within threads, using words like "liner", "liners", "golf", "golfers", "challenger", "checker board", and "wild". I got nuthin'.

I know the GWD hat your thinking of is a Portis. You can see the liner in the Portis thread. I did an advanced search with "liner" and posts by GWD and still coudn't find the damn thing.

B

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have an opinion on the newer Stetson hats. I am new to hats and will be traveling to Brazil soon. It will be very hot and humid this time of year. I was considering buying the Stetson Dega and the Kangol Tropic 504, just for Summer travel. Any suggestions? Thank you.

I was in Brazil during their fall, and it was still quite warm at times; my felt fedora was a bit too much. I don't which hat you should purchase, but make sure it is straw.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
You can remove the liner and wash it by hand in warm water and a gentle soap (then air dry). Good luck!

James007

Familiar Face
What is a IV Liner? It is lined with Silk? which is stitched to the Hat. I would hate to remove the stitching.
Is there another way to clean it?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the Fed IV is lined but it is not stitched in, its glued. Ive removed liners for cleaning. Carefully peel it out and if it doesnt want to separate, use an exacto knife veeery carefully. Ive cleaned liners in a light solution of oxi-clean.

You can glue a liner back in, but I like suggestions Ive read from Woodfluter and HarpPlayerGene. Just place the liner back in th ehat and wear it. Itll stay (WF), and if it gets floppy or doesnt want to stay, spray some starch into the hat, lay the liner in, and hit it with a hot blow dryer. The blower will push the liner into place and stiffen it up when the starch and heat gets onto the underside of it (HPG).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic