Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Crease vs Bash ... which one came first ? ....

.... in the 40+ years I've worn hats, I had NEVER heard the term "bash" used to denote the style of shape of the crown. My experience has been that this was called the "crease" and when you got an open crowned hat, you had it "creased" at the hatters in the shape /style you wanted. Where/when did the term "bash" come from? I had never heard/seen this term 'till I came to this Forum :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
.... in the 40+ years I've worn hats, I had NEVER heard the term "bash" used to denote the style of shape of the crown. My experience has been that this was called the "crease" and when you got an open crowned hat, you had it "creased" at the hatters in the shape /style you wanted. Where/when did the term "bash" come from? I had never heard/seen this term 'till I came to this Forum :)

I think it is Australian-inspired.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many

Yeah, I've always heard "crease," too. But bash works for me just as well.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I see on some of the hats and some of mine have what apears to be an elastic cord with a loop on one end and a button on the other. It is attached under the hat band. What does it do? Is it just for looks? If it becomes loose how does one tighten it? Any other info on this would be great.

Jeff

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I see on some of the hats and some of mine have what apears to be an elastic cord with a loop on one end and a button on the other. It is attached under the hat band. What does it do? Is it just for looks? If it becomes loose how does one tighten it? Any other info on this would be great.

Jeff

You tuck the button into your jacket's buttonhole and it keeps your hat from blowing away in the wind.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many

Jeff

It's called a trolley string or wind string. To use it, it depends on how the string was made. Some have the button fixed to the ribbon on the side of the hat. In that case you unloop the loop from the button and then loop it around a button on your shirt or suit coat so that if the hat blows off in the wind your hat won't roll away. Others have the button at the end and in that case you loop it using the button.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
What was the name of that Stetson book ya'all were talking about? I'd like to try and date my Stetsons.

The book is not very useful for dating purposes. It's enjoyable as far as it goes.

Snyder, Jeffrey B. (1997) Stetson Hats and the John B. Stetson Company 1865-1970. ISBN 0-7643-0211-6

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
The book is not very useful for dating purposes.

Nuts. I find the Stetson dating thread here on the Lounge practically useless to me. You have to read and read and read and 90% of what's on it is just patter between loungers without any useful info. I wish we could make a thread with just images and dates without all the "Hey, thanks man," and "here is the new one I bought," "Gosh that's a great hat, thanks for sharing" stuff. Plus there is often 3 or 5 posts between the photos of hats and the answer to the question of date, or answers to questions coming between other questions.... I can't follow a thing on that thread it is jumbled and stuffed so much with junk.

I wonder if it is possible for the mods to create a thread that is ONLY photos of hats and the answers of date without all the other stuff in between? I don't know. It would probably be a lot of work for the mods to keep deleting messages that overly complicate the thread and to keep answers and hat photos together, though.

What does anyone think? Is there a solution to this idea?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
What do you think JamesPowers....ya want to start deleting post we think useless?

Nice way to go hyperbolic, pal.

I was NOT talking about deleting posts "we think useless."

I was talking about having a thread ONLY with photos of hats and posts dating those hats in the photos. The deleting I was talking about on such a thread is the chit chat stuff that interferes with the photos and dating. I was IN NO WAY saying that mods should go gallivanting thru the whole board deleting things willy nilly. Notice how I asked if it was possible to "CREATE A THREAD" where we could get a good combo of photos of hats and a dating of those photos?

Sheese, read much?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you'd spend more time reading the posts instead of complaining about how hard it is to find an answer, you'd learn something. If you did, you'd learn that the idea you're proposing has been proposed, considered, and even attempted. It doesn't work, because people want to discuss things, and many posts are mistaken. A good example is your comment in RBH's thread on Open Roads. You immediately brought up smoking in old ads, taking the thread completely off the subject of ORs, to which it never returned.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Uh, and that is why I wondered if the mods could CREATE the thread and monitor it and NOT make it one for general replies. I refuse to sit here and have it claimed that I am the one in the wrong here as if I am against the regular sort of thread where everyone adds their own replies and the members on them. I see nothing wrong with the average threads we have. They are quite fun, in fact.

I was suggesting a SPECIFIC and CONTROLLED thread for serious info only about dating hats. Seriously, why you guys want to start making this a personal attack against me is hard to fathom. I was being very specific on what I was proposing and was NOT IN ANY WAY making a general statement about the other threads or about anyone in particular.

I would think that the only way to do it is have the most knowledgeable member(s), the one(s) that knows the most about dating, to be the one to answer all the questions.

All you have to say is that it is too much work and that would be good enough for me.

One Too Many
Hi Mr. RBH, Congratulations to you and members wich always have kind words to all posts in the lounge, because much members are using hats without importance in brand, are wearing hats loocking for own style. The site give us a happy time, reading and posting. Congratulations again to all You.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Both the dating and the thread construction would be very difficult and error prone. The size tag and liner dating threads give general periods. Many models persisted for decades. A committee decision would still not be definitive. Only hats with OPA,NRA,OPS tags or from the Stetson Chestnut Street Store have reliable specific dating. External photos lend themselves to the frequent dimensional generalizations which are often erroneous. In most cases one can only accumulate as much knowledge as possible and then make their best guestimates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn