Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
In most cases I'm happy if I can get the "no earlier than" and "no later than" dates within 10 years of each other.

Sometimes the store labels help narrow the date on a particular hat but when I try to extrapolate the Stetson markings I find that some or all of those markings were in use for a long time, perhaps in different combinations.

There are a few fairly certain things, such as if the size tag has both American and European sizes the hat is NOT from the 1920s - no matter what that eBay seller says.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Both the dating and the thread construction would be very difficult and error prone. The size tag and liner dating threads give general periods. Many models persisted for decades. A committee decision would still not be definitive. Only hats with OPA,NRA,OPS tags or from the Stetson Chestnut Street Store have reliable specific dating. External photos lend themselves to the frequent dimensional generalizations which are often erroneous. In most cases one can only accumulate as much knowledge as possible and then make their best guestimates.

Now THAT is a logical, non-snarky reply. Thank you for your expertise and good sense, rlk!

I fully understand why such a thread I was MERELY asking about is hard or impossible to create, now.

I guess I am forewarned NOT to ask a question on the ask a question thread, though.

FRANKIE

New in Town
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll give it a shot. Does anyone know of a good supplier for leather sweatbands? I'm in NYC and I've tried Manny's and Manhatco, but neither carries them. Thanks!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't know where else to ask this. The sale of the 7X Clear Beaver in "Classifieds" right now leaves me envious, as I can't afford it just now, too bad, so sad. But it got me to thinking--how much should I expect to pay for a Stetson 100 hat, when I can get the money? I would post a "WTB" ad in Classifieds, but should someone offer me up one right now I couldn't buy it either, right now. So how much will a pristine 100 cost me? And how often do you see those and 7Xs floating around?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The one Buler is selling is really special. You won't find another CB with a mode edge and a wide ribbon. There have been as many as 2 or 3 CBs with a mode edge in the past 3 years, and while I don't recall what sizes they were, I can tell you that I'd own them if they were within 2 sizes up or 1 size down of what I wear. Whoever gets it is certainly justified to shoot the moon.

danofarlington

The one Buler is selling is really special. You won't find another CB with a mode edge and a wide ribbon. There have been as many as 2 or 3 CBs with a mode edge in the past 3 years, and while I don't recall what sizes they were, I can tell you that I'd own them if they were within 2 sizes up or 1 size down of what I wear. Whoever gets it is certainly justified to shoot the moon.

Man, one per year! I'll see what I can do, but I'm bound to get blown out. Oh well, you can't buy everything. This hat buying thing has to be our secret.

Don't know where else to ask this. The sale of the 7X Clear Beaver in "Classifieds" right now leaves me envious, as I can't afford it just now, too bad, so sad. But it got me to thinking--how much should I expect to pay for a Stetson 100 hat, when I can get the money? I would post a "WTB" ad in Classifieds, but should someone offer me up one right now I couldn't buy it either, right now. So how much will a pristine 100 cost me? And how often do you see those and 7Xs floating around?

To me, I'd expect to pay at least what a good 100% beaver custom would cost for either a 100 or a 7XCB. That is the level I put these 2 models. I own a 100 & looking for a 7XCB but my size makes them even pricier. I bartered a too small 100 not to long ago, never got a cash offer but it was more of western 100 = wide brim. They are out there, good hunting...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
What difference (if any) is there between a Stetson mode edge and a Stetson selve edge? I seem to recall that Brad or someone may have posted the respective patents and/or articulated the distinction. Then again, maybe I'm mistaken. Can someone speak to this here, or point me to the right place?

danofarlington

To me, I'd expect to pay at least what a good 100% beaver custom would cost for either a 100 or a 7XCB. That is the level I put these 2 models. I own a 100 & looking for a 7XCB but my size makes them even pricier. I bartered a too small 100 not to long ago, never got a cash offer but it was more of western 100 = wide brim. They are out there, good hunting...

Thanks. That's a good guide. Although I am not sure I will agree with your thought that an unusual size makes a hat cheaper. From my perspective, at a 7 1/8, there is a greater number of potential buyers for a good hat that drives up the price. At least that's the way I think it ought to work.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
What difference (if any) is there between a Stetson mode edge and a Stetson selve edge? I seem to recall that Brad or someone may have posted the respective patents and/or articulated the distinction. Then again, maybe I'm mistaken. Can someone speak to this here, or point me to the right place?

Depends on the era. Selv-Edge was Stetson's first name for the Cavanagh Edge, from 1933. (It may or may not have been constructed differently, but the end result is the same.) At some point in the '40s (I don't remember when, off the top of my head), Stetson changed the name to Mode Edge, which remained throughout the rest of Stetson's production run. However, Stetson did revive the Selv-Edge name in the '50s for a standard overwelt.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran