Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Check these polls and you will see that (among Loungers) the greatest demand is in the 1/4 to 1/2 range (with 3/8 as the high point). Naturally, prices will tend to be higher where demand is greatest.

Actually, demand is only one part of the equation. Prices are lowest where supply exceeds demand and highest where demand exceeds supply. For whatever reason there are a lot of smaller-sized hats available but only a few of the larger sizes. Guys who wear the smaller sizes soon learn they don't have to pay the big bucks to get a nice hat. Guys who need the larger sizes have few choices and either pay the money or do without.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, demand is only one part of the equation. Prices are lowest where supply exceeds demand and highest where demand exceeds supply. For whatever reason there are a lot of smaller-sized hats available but only a few of the larger sizes. Guys who wear the smaller sizes soon learn they don't have to pay the big bucks to get a nice hat. Guys who need the larger sizes have few choices and either pay the money or do without.

As part of the supply calculation, I wonder if the manufacturers make less of the large hats in the first place, which would then lead to their rarity. If that's true, then it would definitely make for higher prices in the larger sizes.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have done a similar thing, danofarlington. I have about 20 hats and they are all in boxes, so they are not out for me to easily see visually. I have tags on the boxes but they are all all stacked on each other under my computer table, so not real easy to quickly get to. I find it easier to open my database file and look them over. I have them IDed, with stats and photos.

billyspew

One Too Many
Has anyone made a computer data base of their hats?

Yes. I have a MySQL database I've written, with a web front end that sits on one of my secure hosting areas with a web interface written in PHP. I have information stored about almost all my hats and links to the pictures of them on Flickr.

Have been meaning for a while to create something close to http://www.comicbookdb.com/ which would enable other people to do the same. However I'm time limited and haven't yet gotten around to it.

Yes. I have a MySQL database I've written, with a web front end that sits on one of my secure hosting areas with a web interface written in PHP. I have information stored about almost all my hats and links to the pictures of them on Flickr.

Have been meaning for a while to create something close to http://www.comicbookdb.com/ which would enable other people to do the same. However I'm time limited and haven't yet gotten around to it.

Very interesting!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many

I like the sound of that. All I did was make a Word document with 4 or 5 photos of each hat and then the stats underneath.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I'm looking at different "taupe" hats and "natural/undyed" hats, and I'm wondering: they both seem kind of greyish, but with earth-tone undertones...are they the same or similar?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've asked this before over on the Akubra Camp Draft thread but got no response so will try here :)
Do ANY of you folks have an Akubra Open Road as made for Stetson back in the '50s/'60s ? Are there any differencs BTW it and the current Campdraft which is now supposed to be the same hat only sold as an Akubra model? It would be interesting to see one :)

ManicMagpie

New in Town
I just inherited a Churchill fedora in "charcoal" (sort of an oliveish grey, really). I know it's newer since the original owner used to replace his hats regularly. It doesn't have a raw edge, there's a seam but no binding. The logo inside isn't that worn so I guess it's pretty new.

Although it could use some brushing/blocking, this hat is comfortably broken in. Does anyone think there's enough value in the hat to warrant special care or shall I just wear it as is and enjoy? I can post a picture if needed, but I think y'all can imagine what sort of hat of which I speak.

Thanks!!
--Juliana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran