Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W_B_K

New in Town
Thanks! The sweats/ribbons could use a freshening anyway. I wasn't sure if a hat could handle a stretch that far and not disturb the proportions.... it is all a bit of a mystery to me how that works. :D

On that note, any recommendations beside Optimo? I am on the east coast (Central PA)... wish I knew of a good hat shop in the area!

W_B_K,

I usually use Optimo, and like their service, however, Lefty has a good point about South Street in Philly and several members have been happy with them as well. The other issue, as Lefty pointed out is that the proportions of the hat may change so much as to make it look abnormal, crown size vs brim size. Anyway, I agree it would be nice to be able to use them yourself because of the family connection.

Welcome to the Lounge and good luck!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The proportions will change, but a hatter should be able to give you an idea of how much. Check out Southstreet Hats in Philly for the only PA hatter I can recall being discussed here.

Yes. That's a major change(3-4 sizes). Will have a better chance of success if the hats have generous crown and brim dimensions before you start. If stingy tapered crown don't bother. May also need to increase ribbon width if color has changed or stitching shows. I've done a few 7 - 7-1/4 and the proportions changed significantly.

Last edited:
Hey folks! Searched but did not find a definitive answer:

I inherited a couple of hats years ago from my grandfather. I have never worn them as they are too small, but sure would like to. The hats are a size 7, but I am 7 3/8-7 1/2.

I understand this is beyond something a hat stretcher can do, but could a pro shop like Optimo do this? Sure would rather use them then sell them... I would save them for my son but I'm 99.99% sure his head will be way bigger than a 7. :)
save them for your son, my grandfather was a 7 3/8, same as my brother. I destroyed 1 & won't do another.

W_B_K

New in Town
Thanks fellas... I'd hate to end up making an ugly hat that no one wants to wear! I will probably keep a couple and put the others up for sale.

Thanks for the tip on S.S. hats... I will check them out the next time I am in Philly.

DRB

One Too Many
The difference in modern felt styles......

Can anyone help explain the difference in the modern day felts? Smooth, satin, velour, longhair. I only have experience with owning smooth. Are the others more of a joy to own? More of pain to keep clean? etc?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I recently saw a Stetson Open Road on ebay that was being sold with the color noted as "quicksilver." I had not heard of this color before. Was the seller confused and the color was really silverbelly, or is there a Stetson "quicksilver" color?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently saw a Stetson Open Road on ebay that was being sold with the color noted as "quicksilver." I had not heard of this color before. Was the seller confused and the color was really silverbelly, or is there a Stetson "quicksilver" color?

EBay sellers are constantly confused about hats. I don't blame them as they probably haven't come across many. But wrong colors are given; obviously fur felt hats described as "wool;" sizes are often wildly wrong; brim sizes estimated wrongly; and so on. On the good side, I bought a Borsalino from Peru for about $110 that I now suspect is pure beaver. Had that been part of the description the final price would have been higher.

I think JtL posted in the OR Guild thread the possible colors offered by Stetson = lots of them. Highly likely one could've been "quicksilver"...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The difference in modern felt styles......

Can anyone help explain the difference in the modern day felts? Smooth, satin, velour, longhair. I only have experience with owning smooth. Are the others more of a joy to own? More of pain to keep clean? etc?

Unfortunately these terms are not applied consistently. They are mostly just different in appearance but wear and clean similarly. Of course long hair requires a bit more grooming than a shaved head unless you don't care if it looks a little messy.
Smooth is typically small densely packed fur fibers that are later pounced/sanded to further smooth the final texture as desired. Silks and Satins are usually products of a moderate loosening of felt ends by wire brush/wheel to create texture and some longer hairs so are of mixed length. Longhairs-shags have a greater portion of the fibers loosened from the body. Velours have the fibers loosened and lifted then shaved/trimmed to a uniform length which can vary from nearly smooth to long. This is a bit of simplification as the original loose fur and chemistry may vary as well.

Last edited:

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ok, I've tried google and searched around the site. But, I can't find the thread where you post pictures of your old family members. My brother's house burned up last month, and about the only thing that survived were two boxes of old pictures. I would love to post some.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Is there a thread on here that goes over the different levels of Stetson quality old and new. Like what is the difference between Royal and Sovereign?
If there was difference in the past is there one now, or are they just marketing terms?

Jeff

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is there a thread on here that goes over the different levels of Stetson quality old and new. Like what is the difference between Royal and Sovereign?
If there was difference in the past is there one now, or are they just marketing terms?
Jeff

Stetson's naming system is widely thought of as "really, really confusing."
There is a thread around here that deals with your exact query, though. I think it's called "Stetson Quality Thought Experiment."

Edit: Yep, found it , here's the link. Hope this helps!

ManicMagpie

New in Town
Wool v. Fur help??

I'd say inside and outside pictures (of the hat) would go a long way here.

I apologise in advance for the terrible quality... using the phone for the pics just to give y'all a basic idea of the hat in question. Darn battery is dead in my real camera. Here's a couple of pics of my inherited gunmetal coloured Churchill (7 3/8, thank god.. a very comfortable fit even though I have a quite oval head)

So, just a basic idea of the hat in question is included below. Anyone able to tell anything from the pics or should I re-post when clarity is better? I'm mainly interested in the age, quality and type (of materiel- fur??). [huh]

589e469c.jpg

b81c5377.jpg

b114f81b.jpg

I wish the pics showed what a lovely, everyday hat this is. Nothing flash, just the fedora of a man who wore them from the 30s til last month.

:eek:fftopic:I had some success removing dust with a clean makeup brush! The hat already looks better, and I didn't have to buy anything. I used a kabuki powder brush and it's a happier hat.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Mainly conjecture on my part, and I can't help you with the age of the hat, but Churchill is a fairly well-known brand. It's probably fur felt, and looks like it's been treated kindly for a vintage lid. It has an underwelted brim and a nice wide ribbon. Wear it in good health!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot