Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omne

Familiar Face
Yeah that's what I had heard too. Not intending to anyway, I like the teardrop on my Borso.

Now, real question.. Is there anything wrong with wearing a straw hat at night? I had heard some people say that straw hats are only for the day, and it's felt at night, regardless of season.

As with most things, you can wear what you want to wear. If it's warm out and you want to wear a straw hat, go ahead regardless of whether it's day or night. I do.

GamaH

A-List Customer
As with most things, you can wear what you want to wear. If it's warm out and you want to wear a straw hat, go ahead regardless of whether it's day or night. I do.

Well, you never know when someone might do something crazy like the Straw Hat Riot.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
stranger things...
035-4.jpg

ebb

New in Town
Hello all, i was wondering if anyone could tell me about "Towncraft" hats. I have almost won a bid on ebay. Its a fiftys towncraft nearly new condition. Its looking like im going to get it for about $30 including shipping. Its a 2 1/4i in. brim. size 6 7/8. Can anyone tell me anything about these brand of hats ?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hello all, i was wondering if anyone could tell me about "Towncraft" hats. I have almost won a bid on ebay. Its a fiftys towncraft nearly new condition. Its looking like im going to get it for about $30 including shipping. Its a 2 1/4i in. brim. size 6 7/8. Can anyone tell me anything about these brand of hats ?

"Towncraft" was the label given to J.C.Penney's mens clothing as I recall.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Is there a type of felt - or, more precisely, of felt treatment - that allows hats to withstand rain?
Tilleys and wax cotton will keep my head dry in the great outdoors but what do you wear in a more urban context?
Akubras?

I understand that "normal" felt hats will survive the rain, especially if taken care of before drying, and that a James Smith umbrella is probably a better answer to the problem but do you have alternatives to the brollie?

James71

A-List Customer
I just wear my akubra and a driza bone. after a few years worth of soakings the hat can lose its shape and get floppy, but at that point I retire it to working around the house status and buy a new one.

radsag

New in Town
Montecristo brim cut

I would love to trim brim on a Brent Black optimo from 3" to 2", is this possible?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Is there a type of felt - or, more precisely, of felt treatment - that allows hats to withstand rain?

For me, my Campdraft is my go-to bad weather hat.
Since I got it at the beginning of this year, its been covered in snow, gotten pretty wet with rain and survived lots of sweat on hikes.

One of the nice things with Akubra hats is that if they should get messed up, they don't cost a lot to replace. At some point I'll the same as James, get another Akubra and kind of retire the current one.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
For me, my Campdraft is my go-to bad weather hat.
Since I got it at the beginning of this year, its been covered in snow, gotten pretty wet with rain and survived lots of sweat on hikes.

One of the nice things with Akubra hats is that if they should get messed up, they don't cost a lot to replace. At some point I'll the same as James, get another Akubra and kind of retire the current one.

Depends on what you do to it, but you'll have to wear your Akubra a LONG time! I have a Bushman I bought 32 years ago and I STILL wear it, though not for dress up, mostly out to the barn when I'm messin' with my horses :)

GamaH

A-List Customer
Is there a guide somewhere on how to do a Gus crease on a western hat? I googled, used the site search, everything.

Or for that matter, a guide for western creases. I wanna change the Cattleman crease on mine.

Something really step by step informative like Teardrop Workshop.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you put on a brim binding
That was my first thought as well. And of course the brim can always be folded and sewn like you'll see on cheaper hats. I wonder if Optimo can back weave.

Last edited:

Calliope84

New in Town
Looking for information about a stetson cabela's three forks hat that I found at an estate sale this weekend. Does anyone know the approximate year it was made and its approximate sale value? Anything else....

f3ccg0.jpg

2wfl92t.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic