Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have swatches of Art's felt. You could email him and ask for them.

Dark moss, to my eye, is a medium to darker (but not mistakable for any other color but green) green with undertones of brown under direct light. It appears to be fairly versatile, but slightly less with cooler colors than Art's forest green (very similar, but with a cooler undertone instead of a warmer one).

Pecan looks like a brown-grey taupe color, also very versatile. It would work well with a lot of warmer colors and some medium grays. I'd say Dark Moss could handle the more formal side of things a little better than Pecan, IMHO.

Wojo

Familiar Face
I have Art" samples. They are a little small for me to get an accurate estimation of the color.

Ordinary guy: I agree Whiskey is a nice color. The wife likes that one and dark moss the most right now. Problem is, her opinion changes slightly faster than mine.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I have one of the new Akubra Campdraft Deluxes and to my eye, the felt looks much rougher (fussy) then most of my other hats, but since this is a new and sorta expensive hat for me anyway, I don't want to mess it up. However, I am thinking about sanding it down to make it smoother, and I could use a little direction.

What Grit should I use? Sand paper or emery cloth? Should I sand it with the felt dry or should I wet the hat down first? What are resonable expectations, for my efforts? I would love to get it down to the smoothness of my Stetson 25 or at least anyway, closer to the average $100.00 Resistol or Stetson cowboy Hat.

I am just refreshing this again, trying to get an answer or two.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Hello gentlemen,

I am relatively new to hats. I'm just starting to feel comfortable with them on my noggin. I have one of Art's works in Milan and thinking about another in felt. I was going to go with pecan until I saw a posting of a VS in dark moss. That color looks very nice to me, on a computer screen that is. This hat would be a everyday type of hat. Something I will wear casually. Please, some input about this color as opposed to pecan.

Thanks Wojo

I've got one of each and am waiting for a Dark Moss feather weight to be completed. If I could only have one of them and never get another color I'd probably go with the Dark Moss but I really like my Pecan too. If you check the VS Family Portraits thread you can see a Dark Moss and a Pecan right next to each other in the same picture. That may help.

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I say leave it alone. Sanding down an entire hat in an attempt to change the way the felt feels just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Enjoy it for what it is.

You may be right, I was not really worried about the feel, as much as appearance. I was looking for a smoother, slightly dressier, less fussy look, and I had read on here comments, about maybe sanding a hat, but not much did is see on how to do it.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Hello gentlemen,

I am relatively new to hats. I'm just starting to feel comfortable with them on my noggin. I have one of Art's works in Milan and thinking about another in felt. I was going to go with pecan until I saw a posting of a VS in dark moss. That color looks very nice to me, on a computer screen that is. This hat would be a everyday type of hat. Something I will wear casually. Please, some input about this color as opposed to pecan.

Thanks Wojo
I personally plan go with a pecan, tawny or sand color. Then go with a rust or red wine colored layered ribbon. Do a search on the Art's classics hread and check out all the different variations. Some of the ribbon treatments are insanely sharp!

You may be right, I was not really worried about the feel, as much as appearance. I was looking for a smoother, slightly dressier, less fussy look, and I had read on here comments, about maybe sanding a hat, but not much did is see on how to do it.

Why not buy another hat for those smooth felt occasions?

At Ace Hardware they sell 3 packs of these in Medium, Fine & Superfine. I pounced all the new Campdrafts I bought, did it dry, used Fine first against the grain & then Superfine with the grain. You'll get a nicer finish but never approach a Stetson 25. The 25 is dead felt where CD's aren't. Takes time for to get that feel, nothing else. You can get closer to the Westerns you speak of, maybe better.
You have to be careful not to rough up the ribbon & bow too.

Forgot the link = http://www.shop3m.com/60980020865.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-Sanding-Sponge

Last edited:

garryowen

New in Town
Thank you all for the posts.

Originally Posted by hatophile
garryowen,
The folks in the know believe it is from 60's or later, which is born out by the black sweatband. I would vote for at least early 60's based on the price. The No. 1 Quality was the lower end of fur felt for Stetson. To me the style looks like it could easily appear as older, thus my comment about being a good "Cavalry" hat.

Originally Posted by T Rick
I also think 60's or perhaps even later (the shape of the size tag). The black sweatband may be the telling factor at this point. Is there a union label printed on the opposite side of the size tag? If so, tell us what it says, as there were some union changes at various times, that may give us a boundary year.

Originally Posted by carouselvic
I have a 1961 catalog in hand as I type. It has at least a dozen #1 quality Stetsons, their prices range from $14.95-18.00. Royal Stetsons for $11.95, Royal Deluxe for $13.95 and 3X open roads for $15.95 and up. Size and style help determine price. TLH

Originally Posted by zetwal
There you have it. Without more data, I would have thought the 70s more likely. But now that we have the price tag (along with everything else) the 60s certainly look like your best bet.

Did anyone besides Civil War reenactors use this kind of hat at that time?

What style do you think this is?
The paper tag gives the code of 370 (could be 870 or even 970 as it is a bit unclear).

The print on the paper piece looks fairly modern to me, although I am most likely wrong.
What do you think of it?

I will check the back of the size tag as soon as possible.

Just refreshing, hoping to get some more comments regarding my questions.

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
At Ace Hardware they sell 3 packs of these in Medium, Fine & Superfine. I pounced all the new Campdrafts I bought, did it dry, used Fine first against the grain & then Superfine with the grain. You'll get a nicer finish but never approach a Stetson 25. The 25 is dead felt where CD's aren't. Takes time for to get that feel, nothing else. You can get closer to the Westerns you speak of, maybe better.
You have to be careful not to rough up the ribbon & bow too.

Forgot the link = http://www.shop3m.com/60980020865.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-Sanding-Sponge

Thanks,
That's information I might be able to use. I just think if I can knock the fuzz down a little, I will like the hat that much better.

Wojo

Familiar Face
I have been through ALL the posts on Art's Hall of Fame. Problem is, I can't remember seeing many I didn't like.
I think I will have to go to Plan B, a coin toss.
Or Plan C, one of each.
Don't think I would go wrong either way.

This hat thing could be bad for a person with a bit of a complusive personality, huh?

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I have been through ALL the posts on Art's Hall of Fame. Problem is, I can't remember seeing many I didn't like.
I think I will have to go to Plan B, a coin toss.
Or Plan C, one of each.
Don't think I would go wrong either way.

This hat thing could be bad for a person with a bit of a complusive personality, huh?

I'm opting for plan C

T Rick

Practically Family
Another I think would make the year 'round cut is the Champ Featherweight (the one I have is unlined and quite lightweight). I expect the Playboy (when it gets here in a few days) will be very similar. My Stratoliner might be a bit later in the 1950's, it is lined and while a lighter weight felt, not sure it would qualify for year 'round use.

I'm opting for plan C

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran