Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Folding and rolling a Fed IV Deluxe for travel.

Hi folks.

I'm travelling from the UK to Zarragoza in Spain tomorrow. I'd dearly love to take my Fed IV with me as I'll be doing a little adventuring in the mediaeval walled city of Albaracin while I'm on my travels. Since I'm flying to Spain by a budget airline, and cabin space is at a minimum, I've been thinking of folding and rolling my Fed IV Deluxe and stowing it in my suitcase. All going well, my journey will take about 6 and a half hours door to door. Is this advisable? Would it do the hat any harm? I don't mind adding a little "travel-weary character" to it, but I don't want to ruin it entirely. I know Feds have a reputation for toughness, but I'm also aware that it isn't really designed as a "foldable" hat. I have experimented and have been able to fold and roll it neatly, but I've never risked it over long periods of time. I did successfully try do this with a Christy's Adventurer a couple of years ago, but it was much thinner, softer felt.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Cheers!:)

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I don't fancy having to wear it for the whole flight really (I assume high-backed airline seats and wide-brims don't mix well), and anyway I'm one of those people who won't wear a hat indoors. The overhead storage compartment isn't an option.

Last edited:

James71

A-List Customer
I just flew to Queensland with my campdraft. I kept it on my lap or put it under the seat in front of me.

When I make the 30 hour trip to the states I pack it in my suitcase filled with socks. Upside down and padded around with clothes to hold it's shape.

I wouldn't roll up a fed iv.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I just flew to Queensland with my campdraft. I kept it on my lap or put it under the seat in front of me.

When I make the 30 hour trip to the states I pack it in my suitcase filled with socks. Upside down and padded around with clothes to hold it's shape.

I wouldn't roll up a fed iv.

Thanks for the tip! I'd have tried that if my girlfriend hadn't announced to me last night that I'm now going to be carrying a bunch of presents for her family! And I thought I'd be travelling light... I'm not sure I could put it under the seat in front of me. The airline I'm travelling with is very strict about what you can carry on and where you can put it... Looks like it'll have to be the lap, though I was hoping to leave room for drinks there. ;)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I usually, after take off, just open the little table and put the hat there the duration of the flight. Back to my lap/head when eating and landing. Simple.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Worth Walden Hat Company Dallas TX
IMG_0947.jpg

So hat is known about these people? The hat seems very Hatcoish.

Jeff

Pinkcoke

New in Town
modern or older? light brown Echtleder fedora with london label but made in france

I liked the look of this hat but the different labels confused me, so I thought I'd ask here if anybody knew about Echtleder and or the age of this hat?
vintage001.jpg
vintage004.jpg
vintage003.jpg
vintage002.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Worth Walden Hat Company Dallas TX
IMG_0947.jpg

So hat is known about these people? The hat seems very Hatcoish.

Jeff

They were a Dallas, Texas hatter that used to be on Jefferson St. in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. Mr. Walden closed up the shop about 6 years ago but he is still alive and living in Dallas. My father bought sveral OR styled hats from them back in the '50s and '60s and I still have the last one he bought back around 1969 and it will be on it's way to Peter Bros. in Ft. Worth to be referbed this fall. They made good hats both stock off the shelf as well as custom. I don't know wher they got there bodies from but Hatco or Beyr-Rolnick at that time would be a good guess.

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
Caveat Emptor?

This brings a bad taste to my mouth and I feel I must say something, but I want to do it the right way. So before opening my pie hole and needlessly embarrassing anyone I'll ask the following question. When a sale between two FL members goes pear-shaped what is the accepted practice on this board? Are other members warned about the bad actor? Does a bartender discretely contact the both parties asking that the situation be rectified?

A little background. Six weeks ago I paid for a hat I saw in the Classified section. I contacted the seller at the time of the sale, one week later and two weeks after that. Each time I was assured that the hat would ship out as soon as possible. It has been three weeks since that last contact.

At this point I would like either the hat or my money back but I don't expect either. I understand that caveat emptor applies in all transactions and further, I do not hold FL in any responsible. I have read hundreds of gracious and heart warming posts in the short time I have been an FL member. That a sour transaction could happen here never occurred to me.

Any advise will be appreciated.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After several years of posting photos I don't seem to be able any longer. Does any one have an idea as to
why this is. Copied link from photo bucket used to be fine however now a blue oversceen comes up and if I
choose from my computer it says I am not authorized or if I go direct url it say it is unrecognizable or too
large. has some thing changed? Any recommendations?

T Rick

Practically Family
After several years of posting photos I don't seem to be able any longer. Does any one have an idea as to
why this is. Copied link from photo bucket used to be fine however now a blue oversceen comes up and if I
choose from my computer it says I am not authorized or if I go direct url it say it is unrecognizable or too
large. has some thing changed? Any recommendations?
Testing... random hat shot, my Nostalgia

standard.jpg

ETA: Works fine for me (and that was PhotoBucket). I'd suggest trying to clear your computer's cache', and then log back in and see what happens.

...Does a bartender discretely contact the both parties asking that the situation be rectified?

A little background. Six weeks ago I paid for a hat I saw in the Classified section. I contacted the seller at the time of the sale, one week later and two weeks after that. Each time I was assured that the hat would ship out as soon as possible. It has been three weeks since that last contact.
Any advise will be appreciated.

The Bartenders should be your avenue for getting this addressed. We are mostly "on our honor" here when it comes to Classifieds. Hopefully, they'll keep everybody honorable....

T Rick

Practically Family
I don't do any of that. I simply copy the entire code (including the tags) from the place on PhotoBucket. But I just realized something.... (Duh!) My pic above WASN"T PhotoBucket (oops!). It was Fototime, a second host service I use (this one costs $25 a year, but I like it better). Let me try a PhotoBucket image (I need to upload a hat pic there, they are all on Fototime).

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/terrellfd/m_051.jpg

m_038.jpg

Well, THOSE are from Photobucket. Again, simply copied the entire code from their site and pasted it into the post.

Last edited:

guitarman

New in Town
Hat is too big-what can I do??

Hi friends; Havent been on for awhile. Heres my dilemna. About 15 years ago, my wife bought me an oilskin hat,, high crown, 4 inch brim-your basic cowboy of Australia oilskin hat. At the time, I had WAY more hair than I do now, so its loose and falls down to my ears. I dont want to sound stupid, but is there anything I can do to tighten the hat up so it fits like it should? I tried stuffing paper towels under the sweatband, but that really didnt do the trick. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran