Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
What I can't understand is how a hat that is clean when I put it down, by the next morning has a spot on the brim. No kids in the house, no food near the hat. Cats don't go on that table. Pixies?

The hats I'm looking to clean are at least 55 years old, and I'm thinking these stains may not want to come out. They've been there for years, and are quite happy there.
It's Gremlins :) Pixies steal socks out of the laundry :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
What I can't understand is how a hat that is clean when I put it down, by the next morning has a spot on the brim. No kids in the house, no food near the hat. Cats don't go on that table. Pixies?

It could be a small deposit left by an insect.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Can someone tell me if there is a thread about repairing a crack in panama straw hat? Or has anyone tried this before? I bought a nice 40s Stetson Panalite and there is a 1/4 inch crack in front on brim. I was thinking of trying to get some thread the same color and carefully weaving it in.

Van De Laak

New in Town
Hi all, yesterday I received a Bailey lite felt "Jamison" hat. I love it already, but the box was squashed and the brim was a bit crooked on one side as a result. I steamed it a bit (i use a egg boiler for that, works perfectly, it has one of those little steam escape holes) and tried to reshape it. The unwanted bend is more or less gone now, but i would like to make the brim a bit stiffer again, so it get a nicer curve. Just like the correct side of the brim, which is stiffer.

Is there any household trick to do that? I read a bit about hair gel, hair spray and such. The hat is brown by the way, I don't want to get any color changes of course. Anyone has any experience doing this? Thanks.

TugboatTony

New in Town
New and ready for the real deal...

Hello gentlemen, my name is Tony and I have just recently fell in love with fedoras. I started out with two cheap ones and have progressed up from there. The best I have at the moment is a Stacy Adams Sinamay High Kick, which I think is a good summer hat, but I want a good hat, or two, to suit the fall and winter months. I have found the looks that I like but now I need quality.

In the hat hunt, what should I be looking for in online adds? I could go by the idea that you get what you pay for, but then I will never know if I am getting a good deal. Also at department stores, what are some tips when getting hands to know that a hat is going to last and not be looking bad after one season of wear.

I'll. leave it there cause I could go on for a while. I just wanted to introduce myself and let y'all know that I am here. Take care.

job

One Too Many
Hello and welcome to the Lounge. The advise I would give you is to read, read, read. This is the fun part about this site. Check out Akubra, Stetson, Biltmore, Beaver Brand. I could go on but that is a good starting point.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Tony the best thing to do is to read the forum daily for a while to become familar to what style of hats you like from the ones posted here.
eBay is a place most here use to get vintage hats that meet their standards. Akubra and Stetson still make great new fedora's that you should look into if you want to get a nice hat at a reasonable price.

TugboatTony

New in Town
Thanks for the list of stores thread and the quick info. I at least wanted to let myself be known. I am a wall flower when on a forum... Always reading and pondering... With a job like mine, I have plenty of time to read. So gents, thanks for the info. I have reading and searching to do.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Homburg question- I just bought my first berg and wondering if I don't like it could it be turned into a regular style fedora?
Not certain since it has that curled brim edge if it can be straitened out easily enough or not,
Any one with experience re this dilemma please give your thoughts.
Thanks

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Bond, Brad Bowers believes that a Cavanagh I have used to be a homburg, but was just a lump of felt when I found it. I gave it to a local hatter, and it now looks like a reasonable fedora. I am thinking of having it returned to its original shape.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
On my Akubra, the ribbon sometimes rides up the crown just a tad, so that you can see the sweat stitching. Irritates me - I pull the ribbon down, but it hikes itself back up after time, showing the stitching.

Today at lunch I'm in a local hat shop, looking at a Guerra I'm considering purchasing, and I noticed the exact same thing.

Is this a common occurrence? Any way to keep the ribbon down over the stitching without tacking the ribbon over and over?

Perhaps I'm just being too fussy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy