Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Acetone is not ideal... it evaporates very quickly and can leave a lighter area on light colored felts. A dry cleaning solvent like Picrin might be a better choice for spot cleaning. I remember RLK mentioning having had good success with K2R spot remover.

falonofthetower

New in Town
The Great Hat Hunt

My mother had a hat (technically a series of the same hat) for the past 13 years. It was blue, it was iconic (within the family) and there is in fact a drinking game. There was recently a tragic accident and one of things lost was the hat. We have been hunting around trying to find someone who can replace it. Right now I have found
one place that should be able to replicate the color/style (they are in Africa until tomorrow apparently). I'm trying to see if I can dig up some more places that can do a good job. I don't need it to be in an ultra high content of beaver (my understanding is that rabbit might be softer if not as ideal for a hat). The hat that was lost was made out of what was probably cheap felt, but was worn constantly and replaced three times just from use. Our hope is to get a custom made hat of higher quality that will last the remainder of her life.

momshat_zps63d0e47d.jpg

If you know of anyone who has that color (or near that color available) please let me know. I don't really know how that works on this site, but if you make hats send me a quote/questions :)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Major Moore at Buckaroo hatters should be able to do a good job on a hat like that. His focus is more western styled hats as compared to some of the other custom hatters on here. Art Fawcett or TonyB have also made some nice hats that are western styled.

100% beaver is the best feeling felt. It's soft while still holding its shape. Rabbit fur will still be soft but will be a bit less smooth and water resistant as compared to beaver. Rabbit is still a good felt but if you're looking to get the best then beaver is a better material than rabbit. A western weight 100% beaver should last for a very long time and hold its shape well. Dress weight will be more flexible, comfortable and lighter but may not hold up as long as western weight.

falonofthetower

New in Town
Major Moore at Buckaroo hatters should be able to do a good job on a hat like that. His focus is more western styled hats as compared to some of the other custom hatters on here. Art Fawcett or TonyB have also made some nice hats that are western styled.

100% beaver is the best feeling felt. It's soft while still holding its shape. Rabbit fur will still be soft but will be a bit less smooth and water resistant as compared to beaver. Rabbit is still a good felt but if you're looking to get the best then beaver is a better material than rabbit. A western weight 100% beaver should last for a very long time and hold its shape well. Dress weight will be more flexible, comfortable and lighter but may not hold up as long as western weight.

Okay, I'll check them out. I have actually found a couple of hatters who have expressed no issues with making that style of hat. It is the color of felt which seems to be the issue...Thanks for the suggestions.

Acetone is not ideal... it evaporates very quickly and can leave a lighter area on light colored felts. A dry cleaning solvent like Picrin might be a better choice for spot cleaning. I remember RLK mentioning having had good success with K2R spot remover.

K2R was a life saver for me in college! I can tell you that it doesn't work well on water-based stains (coffee, tea, whatever) but is great on oil-based ones. The currently available spray form of K2R is effective, but not nearly as good as the no-longer-available paste-like product contained in a squeeze tube. My guess is that is was discontinued because it was so difficult to keep from evaporating to an unusable state.

phebus

One of the Regulars
I'm currently working on making my own newsboys. I'm on my third prototype and more or less pleased with the results, but was wondering what I should use for the top button? I found some button kits that sandwich the fabric between the button and the backing. These buttons have a loop on the back where it can be sewn to the hat.
I'm looking for a button that is maybe press fit to the cap (like a snap) to make it more secure and not wobbly.
Those of you out there making your own caps, what do you use for buttons??

Landman

One Too Many
Falonofthetower,

Akubra and any of the custom hatters already suggested are good options. I noticed you are in Texas, if you are anywhere near Lockhart, Texas then you might want to stop into Texas Hatters. I'm sure they could help you out. Just take that picture with you.

Falonofthetower,

A friend of mine runs this company & used to source her western stock hats from another hatter. She mainly does the decorating but has considered making the hat from scratch. She should be able to help with the color you're looking for.
http://www.soulsisterhatcompany.com/About_Us.html

Also, Shorty was written up in Western Horseman this month.
She has fushia so blue shouldn't be too hard...
http://shortyshattery.com/Hats/HatStyles

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've noticed the modern Stetson Stratoliners are listed on most sites as a custom order lid. Can one specify that they want it open crowned, or do they just stamp 'em out and send 'em on with a factory crease only? I'd ask a shop, but honestly, if I discover that it's not possible, I don't want one, and I'd hate to bug a seller without knowing if I'd buy or not.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
The modern Strat is stamped lid no open crown.
An they do not like to change their pressed in bash. Get a Akubra Campdraft you will be glad you did. http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=15&returncat=Akubra+Hats&returnpage=1

You will be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It's as I figured, thanks!

Oh, I've owned a couple of Campdrafts, great hats! Was just thinking of giving a modern Stetson a spin.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Simonds

Vendor
Does anyone have any info on the Optimo newsboy cap or a picture of one? I have read about them but not seen one. Any help much appreciated.

Dronak

Familiar Face
This question was in my latest post in the new hat thread, but it seems to have gotten overlooked (as did the post in general, it seems). I noticed the stamp below on the inside of the Stetson Retro fedora I bought recently; a larger version is in the new hats thread.

stetsonretrostampcrop2.jpg

Parts of it are missing/unclear and this is the first time I've seen one, but I think this says "Made in Ecuador" around the circle and "Panama Hats" through the middle. Am I correct? If not, what does it say? And is there any special meaning or significance to this besides the obvious (where it was made)? There was also a "Made in Mexico" sticker inside the hat (or something like that, I already put it in the garbage), so were different parts of the hat made in the two countries? If anyone could clarify, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help!

masiaka

Familiar Face
Help a colorblind guy out. My da bought a western hat for me in a warm, slightly yellow version of silverbelly. Think real vanilla ice cream or heavy cream. (It's a Quigley II from Rand's Custom Hatters that we found at an antique store for next to nothing. Happy birthday, me!) I love the felt weight, crown height, nap, and color of this hat but not the generous 4" brim dimensions or the leather spiraling around the edge. Plus, my Akubra Bushman is already the perfect outdoor hat for me. I want to cut it down to 2 5/8" and have Optimo replace the leather hat band with a wide ribbon. The dilemma? I can't differentiate between different shades of red, green, or brown (but I can tell which one I am looking at). My wardrobe is blue, gray, and black heavy but still contains a fair ammount of every color. What color ribbon should I ask for to make the hat as versatile as possible, and what does a warm silverbelly pair best with?

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dronak,

I have one of those Stetson Retro hats and it is a grade three Panama. It was woven in Ecuador and blocked and assembled in Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass