Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
so, I've got an Akubra Bushman.
View attachment 16039

Has anyone ever got and/or used the "chin straps" that can be attached to this and other Akubra hats? Will they keep the hat on in a high wind? Or to hang the hat from?

They work real good
snowonslouch2.jpg

Jeff

fedoracentric

Banned
Wool does not hold its shape well over time most especially after getting wet a few times. A good fur felt hat won't change too much (if well treated and stored). You can make a hat water resistant with certain sprays and treatments, but not really water proof, exactly. Still, in my experience a good fur felt isn't really damaged too badly by water. Not sure if others agree with that or not, but...

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Comparing wool and fur, which is more rain resistant? It it possible to make your hat waterproof?
They have tried to waterproof wool hats for years. Never really did the job. You can spray it to death then you lose the softness of the wool and end waring a
plastic hat. Its the nature of the fibers of the wool and the fur. Wool is a kinky fiber and fur is flat.

I think my example proves it's possible to make a quality soft felt wool hat. I much prefer fur felt or some type of blend (many old Euro hats had some wool content). I think wool works better for stiff felts like this old German one made of Negretti wool (very smooth finish plus light weight). One problem is lint collection (see photo).

4796482610_67424523dc_b.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/58-negretti/

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
How about bowling shirts and hats?

I'm still new to the hat thing. It seems to me that besides Hawaiian shirts, retro 50s and 60s-style bowling shirts would also go well with hats. I'm thinking of the kind of shirts that are sold by Daddyo's. There are probably better places to go - but I like that style of shirts!

--Greg

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm still new to the hat thing. It seems to me that besides Hawaiian shirts, retro 50s and 60s-style bowling shirts would also go well with hats. I'm thinking of the kind of shirts that are sold by Daddyo's. There are probably better places to go - but I like that style of shirts!

--Greg

It's a look I like and wear often together in the summer. Daddyo's has some great looking shirts. Sears carries a line of cheaper priced Bowling style shirts if you just want to try the look out.

Of course looking through my selfies I can't find a single pic of me in one of the 3 bowling shirts I have.

Clawhammer

New in Town
A question for you all: I'm planning to spend a year in West Africa and need a hat that will a) keep me cool, b) provide decent sun protection, c) be fairly durable, and d) not look horrible. I can't stand most of the "outdoor" hats I've seen...they're fine for hiking, but not for living somewhere and maintaining a modicum of dignity. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott

--Greg

Yes!! They look great together. Also Mexican wedding shirts (a.k.a. guayaberas) look darn sharp with a good hat.
And when the weather's warm there's always the old standby thrift-store vest an T-shirt look, too.
pu5a5ete.jpg

ingineer

One Too Many
A question for you all: I'm planning to spend a year in West Africa and need a hat that will a) keep me cool, b) provide decent sun protection, c) be fairly durable, and d) not look horrible. I can't stand most of the "outdoor" hats I've seen...they're fine for hiking, but not for living somewhere and maintaining a modicum of dignity. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott

I'd pack a Tilley LTM6IS, Malaria is no fun.
Richard

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many

Thanks!
Scott

Hi Scott.

If you want a fur felt hat then checkout Akubra hats. They are tough as nails.

http://hatsdirect.com

If you want a tough straw hat then look at Sunbody Guatemalan hats.

http://www.sunbody.com

FiftiesMan

New in Town
Hi Guys,
I need some expert opinions/advice. I am very new to the hat world and recently acquired a 1940's Stetson Royal Stratoliner in a medium brown, size 7. The headband was stamped from 1224 Chestnut Ave. Philadelphia, PA. I took it to a Master Hatter, Vince Corvelli in Bethesda, Maryland, who did a wonderful job re-sizing it to a 7 3/8 and blocking it to a teardrop. The hat is pretty much as close to pristine condition as I can tell as a novice. My question is, I did not have Mr. Corvelli retain the old headband (although I did take photos) and I was wondering how much this alteration de-valued the hat, if any. I do want you all to know that I purchased it to wear and not to keep in a box so if the value is zero I still think the hat is one of the most beautiful hats I have ever seen. I just know that there is tremendous knowledge on this site and that I would get the right answer here.

Thanks in advance.
Fiftiesman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy