Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DTQ

New in Town
I'm hoping someone can help me with this question: I have a Stetson Open Road with the Western crown but I really dislike the standard OR brim shape so I have rolled the brim up in back and down in front. What is the common thought on this combination?

Landman

One Too Many
Most of my Stetson Open Roads have a Cattleman's crease and I like to wear them with the front brim turned down. I get a lot of compliments on my hats but I do live in a part of the country where the Cattleman's crease is the norm. One thing I find interesting is that I have friends who don't really like the Open Road because of the short flat brim but when I turn the front brim down they like it.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question: I have a Stetson Open Road with the Western crown but I really dislike the standard OR brim shape so I have rolled the brim up in back and down in front. What is the common thought on this combination?

I like mine that way, down in the front with something close to a pencil curl to the back of the brim....
vintageOR3.jpg

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Thanks, Landman. I'd found that link too. It would be cool to have a NYC get-together, even an informal one!

Actually, that would be a good excuse to go to NYC even for us folks that don't live there. I could probably manage a New York trip more easily than I could one of the Southern California events.

Thats encouraging, being new to hats and after reading the Fouquet thread I wanted to make sure I wasn't committing a sacrilege of some sort. ;)

No way you're doing anything but 'styling'! My grandfather wore his this way; he called it a snap brim & always snapped the front down.
This one was shaped by Jimmy The Lid...OR Style Stetson 100
1001.jpg

Thats encouraging, being new to hats and after reading the Fouquet thread I wanted to make sure I wasn't committing a sacrilege of some sort. ;)

Will you be creasing the hat fedora style with front pinches as in the photos Tom posted? A snap brim works better with this crease than with a traditional cattleman crease, in my opinion. But don't worry about sacrilege. There are no sacred cattle.

DTQ

New in Town
Will you be creasing the hat fedora style with front pinches as in the photos Tom posted? A snap brim works better with this crease than with a traditional cattleman crease, in my opinion. But don't worry about sacrilege. There are no sacred cattle.

Not soon, but I may at some point. I'll just wear it like this for awhile and see how I like it.

edit:

Changing the crease is re-blocking, correct? That needs to be done professionally right?

Changing the crease is re-blocking, correct? That needs to be done professionally right?

Changing the crease in a felt hat does not always require re-blocking. It will depend on how the original crease was applied. In later hats (1960s+) evidences of the original crease might be harder to remove and the felt will be less moldable when applying a new shape. Steam and brushing will help.

DTQ there's a thread around here somewhere dedicated to just Open Roads. You'll find plenty of pics of all kinds of brim and crown styles.

And, no, decreasing doesn't necessarily have to be done professionally. I've learned a lot about shaping hats reading through the FL. You definitely can kill a few evenings here digging through the mountains of information.

And I'm also a huge fan of western creased Open Roads.

Ds5160

New in Town
Sorry to ask a stupid question, I have tried searching, is there a post in proper fit? I have a hat that feels good, but it rides higher than my other hats. The crown at the back hits the back of my head while it doesn't hit the front of my head. Does this mean the crown is too short? Or is this just a means for the hat? Any like is to fit that I can us to make sure the hat fits well?

Landman

One Too Many
Ds5160, some types of creases lower the crown more than others. I try not to have the crown touch the top of my head but I like to wear my hats lower on my head and can't avoid it with some hats. If your hat has a teardrop crease you probably can raise the crown up a little by steaming it and telescoping the center of the teardrop up. The picture gtdean48 posted of the Stetson 100 above is a good example of a telescoped teardrop.

DTQ

New in Town
I think I dig this hat! Thanks for your input everyone. And if I understand the terminology and nomenclature correctly; this is a size 7 1/8 Stetson 4x Open Road in Bullet with a Cattleman crown and a rolled brim. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks again.
uploadfromtaptalk1407254916107.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24