Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Good idea, that sleek 180 shape!

I was thinking of a Woolrich or Pendleton jacket like that. I'm allergic to wool, but I'll give it a try. We've got a few stores in NYC where I can try these on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buler

I'll Lock Up
You could find some vintage "180s". These ads are from 1897 American hatter

B

vintage_180s.JPG

vintage_180s_2.JPG

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Haven't visited this thread in awhile, but I have this Old Stetson twenty-five OR that I've been trying to wet and steam some life back into, with general success. However, the sweatband is a tad dry at the inner edge, and beginning to flake and curl.

My frustration is that I can't seem to remove the imprint of the top of the sweatband from the outside of the felt. There's a visible line that goes around the crown where the sweatband ends. Does anyone have a home remedy for this? Or is this more in the send-to-a-pro category? Or am I out of luck altogether?

Is it an "imprint" (I can't think of a better word either) or a discoloration? If the latter, you may be SOL, unless you are willing to change the character of the hat by putting a much wider band ribbon on it to cover that problem spot.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Tony-- Definitely not a discoloration-- it goes away temporarily when I hold the sweatband inward, away from the crown.
photo: apologies for my mug, but the imprint wouldn't show up once I held my kindle camera up too close! I should add that it's still wet in this picture.
ratutase.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if that hat might have been stretched at one point, with one of those quick-and-dirty stretchers (as contrasted with the full-crown type stretchers) such that the sweatband got pushed against the crown felt in a way that left that mark. Is there a "step" inward in the crown felt north of the sweatband height?

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
There certainly is a step, and that might have been me with the stretcher, hoping to press out the kinks in the leather. :D:rolleyes:

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Looks like a nice "wearin'" hat to me. If it were mine, I'd just use it as is and perhaps clean and block it at some later date, after it had acquired other problems to address.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I have several good A-2's and another one is bering made. What kind of hats would go with an A-2 or G-1? I'm not crazy about Fedoras with military flight jackets though I could give it a try. I used to wear military ball caps with these jackets. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I am buying Christmas gifts for little ones already, I can use a small western hat, for a small 4 year old...any ideas, as I am only finding JUNK on eBay...

Thanks!

DTQ

New in Town
I live in NYC. On cold, windy days, my ears get the coldest. How do you keep the ears warm wearing a fedora? (My hat hobby began just this recent summer.) In past years, I'd wear a winter jacket w/hood (Carhartt, Canada Goose, U.S. Navy, etc.). And a baseball cap underneath. Toasty warm, but not a Lounge look!

With a fedora, I imagine earmuffs that are sort of low profile. Any other ideas? If I had to wear a hood and couldn't wear a fedora, I'd like to try a newsboy or flat cap and give the baseball caps a break!

Thanks to all! I never fail to learn something valuable here!

--Greg

I get terrible earaches if I don't stop the wind entering in my ears. If thats your problem as well I would encourage you to try Radians Custom Molded Earplugs, they are pretty inexpensive. However, I too love my 180's and the 180's fold up almost flat.

Landman

One Too Many
Greg;
I use a Buff. They are my helmet liners also

http://www.buffusa.com/wear/ways_to_wear_a_buff
Richard

I'll second these that Richard suggested. They are fantastic and very versatile. I mainly use them to just cover my neck from the cold but they can easily be pulled up to cover your ears. There is a good video on the website showing all the different options for wearing them.

They are very good in hot weather too. When working outside in extreme heat I will dunk them in cold water and wear them until they dry out. Then just dunk them again. Usually in the water from melted ice in an ice box.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Thanks for these suggestions! I have a buff and it's OK, but uncomfortably tight. This reminds me - I have a very good balaclava that is open for the whole face. I can use that and/or 180's!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
What style? Best guesses?

My brother texted me this iPhone photo of a photo of my great-grandparents circa 1940. Any best guesses on the style of hat? I realize it is neither the best picture or the best angle, but I thought I'd present the question to this learned body anyway.

ac_mamie_2_500_zps337d0a01.jpg

Close-up.
ac_hat_zpsa473f9cc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24