Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

g.durand

One Too Many
I've been watching Perry Mason episodes from the 50s lately, and characters are just as likely to wear thin ribbons as wide ribbons. The shows I've been watching were set and filmed in L.A. in 57-59, so the division between country and city hat was already fading. At the same time, a few months back, an older gentleman commented on my "casual" fedora, a mid-50s blue Stratoliner, so the perception. Still lingers. Isn't it odd?

Aaron, that's an interesting comment and perception. I saw a promotional film about San Francisco a couple of years ago that was filmed in 1955. There were a lot of street scenes. Most men were wearing suits and just more than half were wearing hats, many of which were light-colored thin ribboned hats like Open Roads. The interesting thing for me is if I wear an OR in San Francisco these days I feel like I'm wearing a hat more closely associated with rural or small-town life. But since there aren't any firm hat-wearing trends or unwritten hat rules these days I don't care.

Why are larger ribbons considered more dressier? It's interesting that function dictates fashion.
Considering the ribbon on a hat serves no practical purpose other than to improve the hat's appearance, I'd say it's a case of fashion dictating function.

wear whatever , whenever & wherever with whatever else you have on ... who cares!!

it's not 1950 ... I wear wide ribbon hats with T shirts and jeans and I wear thin ribbon brown hats with a suit

anyone standing by these "rules" you are speaking of is not someone you should listen to in the first place

look in the mirror.... do you dig it ?... cool, wear it

it is 2015 ... there is no city and country hat
Preach it loud, brother! :thumb:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've been watching Perry Mason episodes from the 50s lately, and characters are just as likely to wear thin ribbons as wide ribbons. The shows I've been watching were set and filmed in L.A. in 57-59, so the division between country and city hat was already fading. At the same time, a few months back, an older gentleman commented on my "casual" fedora, a mid-50s blue Stratoliner, so the perception. Still lingers. Isn't it odd?

That is actually pretty interesting.
I assume there are a number of people still around from the days of heavy tradition .
My father in law is one... He is in his 80s and firmly believes in the whole ... You should only wear this with that... Type thought process .
I also remember my grandmother . Who passed in 2000... Yelling at me for wearing a hat indoors and telling me that a gentleman only wears a hat indoors in a train station , a lobby , or a crowded elevator .
A strange as that sounded to me to this day I sort of honor those rules sometimes when I think of her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, being a city guy, I wear both my wide and thin ribbons wherever I want, as well, and with whatever I'm wearing. I'm not above wearing a fedora with a t-shirt or shorts, in fact I pretty much always do. I do, however, practice hat etiquette whenever practical. Most of those guidelines are borne of respect for the other person, and to me, that attitude is paramount, as we serve ourselves best when we serve others.

Besides, there are rules - this ain't 'Nam!!

Hats shrink. This has been fairly well established. Anyone have any experience with synthetic milans? I just got bit by the curse of the mail order. I bought my usual size but its pretty generous. Sending it back for a smaller size is a crap shoot, because sizing is so all over the place these days, and if there's any chance of shrinkage this one will probably fit fine. For what it's worth, the sweatband is leather-ish. The hat is made by Dobbs, but I would assume all synthetic is pretty much equal.

Hats shrink. This has been fairly well established. Anyone have any experience with synthetic milans? I just got bit by the curse of the mail order. I bought my usual size but its pretty generous. Sending it back for a smaller size is a crap shoot, because sizing is so all over the place these days, and if there's any chance of shrinkage this one will probably fit fine. For what it's worth, the sweatband is leather-ish. The hat is made by Dobbs, but I would assume all synthetic is pretty much equal.

Both of my Stetson Florentine Milans, the Andover and the Strat, are very generous. Both of them have padding. Frankly, I think I would have been happier with a size down from my 7 1/4.

I have one Dobbs I picked up at the Outlet last January. It has no tag, but I pulled it off the 7 1/4 rack - it's a bit snug, but much better than the Stetsons.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

I think that u should keep it and as u said "hats shrink." I've 2 Milan Hemps. On Stetson the other Dobbs with what is possibly a similar sweat. It does tighten up a bit. If not enuff u can probably take other steps to bring in down to size...

Thanks for the input gents. I'm just gonna keep it. It's hot down here and it'll get sweated up plenty good. A little too loose beats too snug when its triple digits anyway.

etsyvintageribbons

New in Town
Hi,

Im trying to understand the difference between fur felt hoods that were made in Europe back int he 1930's-1940's vs today's fur felt hoods. The thing I notice is that the ones we have uncovered in our boxes of stuff, is that they are much lighter in weight than new ones. Can someone explain why that would be a plus? or if it even is a plus?

example: The smallest ones we have are Width: Approx. 15" laying flat, Height: approx 10" - 10.5" laying flat, and Weight: 55 grams / 1.94 ounces grams

and then they get larger width wise up to about 19”-20” laying flat and about 12.5” tall (weighing about 65-70 grams)

We would appreciate any knowledge anyone can provide to us, we are not hat makers, we generally sell ribbons and know NOTHING about these things.

Thanks so much,
Sal

ingineer

One Too Many
Welcome Sal,
We need a ribbon professional here.
Esp if you have some of the vintage hat ribbon
Until the experts chime in :
The old felts are very desirable.
The big difference is in the "hand" or feel of the felt.
The older felts used a different means of carroting to interlock the fibers.
Maybe even mercury which raised the barbs on the fur.
Look down the page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felt.
makes me think of the use of a Jordon in the pulp & Paper industry to make softer paper
a lighter hat is very desirable.
please send us some pictures

etsyvintageribbons

New in Town
Hi Richard,

Thanks! As far as being a ribbon professional...ehhh, not exactly, although we (myself and my siblings) are learning everyday, mostly from customers!!! All of our ribbons are vintage from 1930-1970's really being the latest, and most are from France.

Thanks for the link to some very informative literature! Since I haven't felt other fur felt hoods (new or old), I can't really say if the "hand" is any better or worse but I will take a couple pics and show you. Be back in a few .... BTW, thanks so much for responding!!!! I can't say Ive posted any questions on hat forums, but there have been many forums that I have posted questions, and I never, ever got a response...YOU ARE THE VERY FIRST!!!!

-Sal

etsyvintageribbons

New in Town
LOL!!!

I just took some pics and of course...for some reason I cant get them to transfer to my laptop. as soon as I figure out why my laptop keeps freezing evertime I try, Ill get the pics up..Thanks!

etsyvintageribbons

New in Town
the thing is, one of our customers wants to buy some,and she wants them now, but I dont feel like Ive done enough homework to even price them out...I dont want to quote a high price, but I dont want to find out later that I sold them for nothing either :-(. I see hoods for 18.00, 25.00, 30.00, 35.00, 40.00, 50.00 and up and I have no idea where these would fall????

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
INDEED! And some of us are more different than others... :D
And some are even more different that that!
the think is, one of our customers wants to buy some,and she wants them now, but I dont feel like Ive done enough homework to even price them out...I dont want to quote a high price, but I dont want to find out later that I sold them for nothing either :-(. I see hoods for 18.00, 25.00, 30.00, 35.00, 40.00, 50.00 and up and I have no idea where these would fall????

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
the think is, one of our customers wants to buy some,and she wants them now, but I dont feel like Ive done enough homework to even price them out...I dont want to quote a high price, but I dont want to find out later that I sold them for nothing either :-(. I see hoods for 18.00, 25.00, 30.00, 35.00, 40.00, 50.00 and up and I have no idea where these would fall????

Time is on your side. We have hatters as members who may be interested and offer fair market.

Tom D.

RJR

Welcome Sal,as Richard says we have several member hatters and I'm sure they will jump in with answers/questions for you and probably interest in vintage ribbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot