Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

etsyvintageribbons

New in Town
Thank you. I hope so!!! I think I posted the same question in two places here.. is that wrong? and can you tell me, when I respond, am I supposed to click reply to thread, or just reply?

Last edited:

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Thank you. I hope so!!! I think I posted the same question in two places here.. is that wrong? and can you tell me, when I respond, am I supposed to click reply to thread, or just reply?

Either will work. AFAIK, "reply to thread" is a general reply to no post in particular. "Reply" and "Reply with quote" reference a specific post. There's also the quick reply area which is like "reply to thread", but without the advanced edit options.

I hope you hang around a bit. You have some beautiful vintage ribbon on Etsy.

Roger

The shop is called VintageRibbons

WHat's you etsy name? Maybe you have bought from us...

And thanks Roger for the compliment on our stuff!!!

Indeed, I purchased some great vintage 2" Merlot ribbon from you way back in February. I haven't used it because I eventually went with something else on my hat, but I've been itching to use it. It's good stuff.

ingineer

One Too Many
Sal; i think your logic is wrong
my father
He told me that the secret is not to worry about i could have made X more dollars
out of one one sale but to have a LOT of customers doing repeat business,
As long as you make a 50% grossmarkup and repeat sales you will last in your field, till he died the phone never stopped ringing
That seemed to work in my field, when people came running back for more even when i was top bidder
You need to upgrade your description of materials
Burns clean and slow does not let us know if it it is Rayon /cotton or poly
poly smells like wax when lit, cotton turns to ash
We like the old stuff the ribbon that will " swirl: when heated to conform to a hat

etsyvintageribbons

New in Town
Hi Richard,

Nothing we have is polyester for sure. I guess I should revise listings, I thought when I say burns clean...it means to ash (like cotton and rayon) vs. melting or sparking and dripping, etc... and slow vs fast would mean most likely a blend of cotton and rayon rather than straight up rayon which burns "clean" but kinda fast, and then if it burns real slow it would have more cotton, and if it self extinguishes...silk (plus that stink of hair). At least that is what I think I have learned so far (uhoh, please tell me now how right or wrong what I have learned is) The first 500 or so listing we put up, I dont even have a description about fiber content :-(...learning as we go along..., and need to find the time to actually burn and add info.

The thing is, about prices...our mom gave us these and she bought them all many years ago from a woman who had a vintage ribbon shop and was closing, that woman had gone to France in the early 80's and prchased a full container, all of vintage ribbons and trims from mills that were either already closed or closing, ...Our mom had hopes of opening her own trim shop, but that never happened, so they sat in storage until she gave them to us.

All the money we make is paying for our college tuitions and my little sister school too, and books, gas, etc....as much as possible. Since everything we have can't be re-ordered or on many items, not even made or duplicated ...it's hard to price things out. We need it to be our steady income because as is, we all work regular full time jobs besides the ribbon stuff, and go to school full time and cannot make ends meet, even with the funds raised from VintageRibbons ... but we are growing, and posting, and opening one box at a time!

When I try to figure out prices, it's not really a matter of ..oh..I could have made x more, but rather our supply is not endless, and we need to get fair asking prices and be steady if the ribbons and hats and trims will carry us through until we are standing on our own. Our mom is disabled from a brain tumor and we have to think about her and my little sister too, so it's important that we dont "give things away for too low".

I need to get with my brothers and we do need to revise the listings to show more detail, please, please do let me know if what I think I have learned is incorrect, please...I dont want to misrepresent anything we have, it is super important to me that I never misrepresent items, even on the dates..I see so many people say 1930, but in reality, from research on a certain pattern, I will have found that the pattern was produced from 1930-1960 or 1970 and then the pattern was discontinued, so how would someone know which year it was made? ANd if the fiber content is not clearly written on a roll, Im scared to say with certainty what I think it is, cuz...what if Im wrong :-(

ANy wisdom you have please share with us! It will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My only thoughts are "they don't make vintage ribbons anymore" so get what ever the market will bear. The ribbons could be worth alot more a year or two (or more...) from now. Yes more buyers at lower prices makes sense if you have a unending supply of product that can be easily replenished... but not so in the long run, if you have limited avaliabilities.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
looking to find a general date , maker or any info on this hat

and if anyone has heard of Layton's in Brooklyn

I can tell there used to be a sticker on the tip ... and the word Windsor makes me think Biltmore... but I really have no idea

here are some pics .... and info is greatly appreciated

ca292b7c8ba3d67f350ff2067dd1a414.jpg

f2bfd078336f32da10328c3fc908c1ad.jpg

7c34a882b06f485cc20b2c804261c8e5.jpg

f493358cf8a0868e6e36d9827a8d5385.jpg

c1ab85cbb47d6caca5919550d06030b6.jpg

db9e20029f38657a6b4d5bf34d0c6d06.jpg

d88e58b2f11a41ce243af70c3b96721c.jpg

a40fc40423fc0cf00328de566a52e79e.jpg

No guesses on that but it is intriguing to see the straw Panama imprint on the union label. There has been discussion on this previously in the union label thread. The straw is imported - whether the braids are sewn into a hat body in the U.S. or overseas, I'm not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24