Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nidan48

New in Town
ewbie questions about hats.

On hat treatment. My Akubras have survived 25 plus years of weather and mistreatment and have softened up and developed an attitude. I got a couple of Borsalinos last year. Can they handle the rain and snow or do they need to be babied? I picked up an Optimo on ebay. Their website would indicate that their hats are made to be "worn." Will they be like the Akubra? And if/when I get a Stetson, are there days when I look at the sky and pick another hat? It would be nice if they all can protect me from the elements instead of me having to worry about which hat can take the days weather.
I'm 65 now so I've got limited time to beat them.

Anyone care to opine?

Nice to see a member from Lon Gisland... welcome!

It makes sense to have a hat or two that you reach for when you expect to be out in foul weather. I don't own an Akubra but I do have a nylon Tilley hat that I can flatten and pack. It travels with me on most adventures. It can also be machine washed.

Fur felt hats are durable and will stand up to rain and snow. In pouring rain, it makes sense to carry an umbrella.

nidan48

New in Town
Thank you.
To me the hat was originally supposed to replace the umbrella. Then you know how it is, it took over my life. My Akubra Drover has served as a great umbrella at kids soccer games in the pouring rain. My wife got me a Tilley but it has no style. It acquires a teeny bit of character as it gets beaten up. It conveniently squashes between the visor and the car roof. For a ventilated hat it doesn't seem to breathe well for me except in very windy conditions. As a high wind hat it is superb.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
I want to buy a new hat (don't we all[emoji1]), probably in navy. I currently own four hats, one panama and three fedoras (brown, beige, lightgrey) and was thinking about getting a homburg.

The navy hat idea is inspired by James Spader as Raymond 'Red' Reddington.

f6c65e3979e79d37f478f48bebf06911.jpg

9dfa62ffb72d87ebb2627af246ab0b00.jpg

Should I get a fedora or a homburg? What would you wear more?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Should I get a fedora or a homburg?

Only you can decide that. ;)

What would you wear more?

Neither if they were blue..:D.......I have an old French Homburg & although I don't have the 'bank manager' look I thought they looked pretty cool as a casual hat on folk who had enough Boho-chic to carry them off.......well I don't think I do & I've never really got on with it. It's in pieces at the moment awaiting it's final destination. I was hoping to use it on a scarecrow this summer to keep the birds off the vignes but it wasn't to be as rats ate every grape. :(
I don't know why I'm boring you with this dribble except maybe to say that a fedora is always easier to wear & more versatile than a Homburg.

Last edited:

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many

Neither if they were blue..:D.......I have an old French Homburg & although I don't have the 'bank manager' look I thought they looked pretty cool as a casual hat on folk who had enough Boho-chic to carry them off.......well I don't think I do & I've never really got on with it. It's in pieces at the moment awaiting it's final destination. I was hoping to use it on a scarecrow this summer to keep the birds off the vignes but it wasn't to be as rats ate every grape. :(
I don't know why I'm boring you with this dribble except maybe to say that a fedora is always easier to wear & more versatile than a Homburg.

Well, it's an entertaining story and it would make for a very well dressed scarecrow [emoji1]

I suppose a fedora is indeed easier to wear.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Lol! +1. Fedora.

You can wear a fedora with the brim snapped down in front or curled up. Test the waters and see which you prefer.
+2. There are some members here who can wear their hats with the brim up or down--Bob Roberts, Moontheloon, and DH66 come to mind--and look good either way. Me, with the brim up I look like even more of an idiot than I usually do.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Plz dont OVERESTIMATE your ability to look like an idiot... :) I think you could quite easily pull it off. But I do understand it's all a matter of preference.

Shirley Films

New in Town
I have a question.

A while back, I got a "Vintage Dobbs Grey Fedora" from eBay. Of my 10+ fedoras, this one has become my favorite. I would really like to find another one of the same model, different color - but I don't even know what kind of hat it is. The eBay listing was not informative.

The tag is still inside the hat. It includes the following info:

R20 RS051 7 1/8 20.00
044 DAWN F56191

Can anyone tell me which of these is the "model number" that might help me search for more of this hat?

Also, if anyone is a Dobbs expert, can you tell me what year this hat was made?

I dream of one day finding the same hat in BLACK. Dream, being the operative word.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Photo1: http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/shirleyfilms/photo 1-5.jpg
Photo2: http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/shirleyfilms/photo 3-3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana