Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Surely someone with far more experience than I have can answer this, but I wonder if snapping the brim up and down every time you wear a hat would somehow weaken the felt or the flange and eventually lead to the brim becoming "floppy"?
Not if if flanged correctly with a proper amount of stiffner. Well, maybe after 50 years but I'll be long gone and wont care.

jamesmac1801

One of the Regulars
Got a new hat. A Hombourg . Can anyone help me date it? The crown is fairly tall about 6 inches I think.
1c64be62e0dfada5eef7586fa9e0d527.jpg

8978e71ac8d33013672137780a607ecb.jpg
b12a663b88d03ecbc58be5355b1c52c2.jpg

08af36c02e3a4f279c39517de1f1f081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not if if flanged correctly with a proper amount of stiffner. Well, maybe after 50 years but I'll be long gone and wont care.
Art Fawcett told me to snap my brim back up when not wearing my fedora's. That was over a decade ago and I have done it ever since. No, the brims do not get floppy. At least not any floppier then they do with regular wear. The only fedora I did not snap up all the time (A federation III) the front of the brim came down sharply while the back maintained the original snap. The sides developed an almost cowboy curl. Think Indiana Jones Last Crusade Venice scene with the front coming down farther. Being it was an Indiana Jones style hat I was fine with that but I would not want my works of Art doing that.
my two cents
Johnny

Is it recommended to snap the brim of a fedora back up every evening when not wearing it to preserve the brim flange or is this just recommended for long term storage?

I always snap mine up out of habit.

I always snap my brims back too......seems to keep the whole brim in good shape. There are even a few 40's movies that show people doing this and placing their has on a table brim down. My favorite is one where a guy come out on a porch and replaces his hat, then runs his hand along the front of the brim snapping it down. My wife even commented.....he did just what you do........
Made me smile! ;)
Best,
M

Got a new hat. A Hombourg . Can anyone help me date it? The crown is fairly tall about 6 inches I think.
1c64be62e0dfada5eef7586fa9e0d527.jpg

8978e71ac8d33013672137780a607ecb.jpg
b12a663b88d03ecbc58be5355b1c52c2.jpg

08af36c02e3a4f279c39517de1f1f081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NICE LID!! I am unfamiliar with the brand.....if you can carefully look behind the sweat ( check only if the leather is in great shape and soft) there may be more clues with the blocking labels....
M

EdwardM

New in Town
Have you found Stetson sizing to be consistent over the years?

I have a straw Stetson purchased at least 25 years ago. It is size 7 and 1/4 and fits me very well. I would like to get another Stetson in a different style but am a bit reluctant buying online for fear todays hat in that stated size may differ from the older product.

I'm probably overly concerned but I have found some items - most notably shoes - can differ dramatically in sizing (although less so from a given maker among their styles).

Thank you.

Ned

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you found Stetson sizing to be consistent over the years?

I have a straw Stetson purchased at least 25 years ago. It is size 7 and 1/4 and fits me very well. I would like to get another Stetson in a different style but am a bit reluctant buying online for fear todays hat in that stated size may differ from the older product.

I'm probably overly concerned but I have found some items - most notably shoes - can differ dramatically in sizing (although less so from a given maker among their styles).

Thank you.

Ned

I have gone to the Hatco (where the Stetsons are made) Outlet Store several times. I think I wear a 7 1/4. I say think because sometimes I need at 7 3/8. But most of the time 7 1/4 is perfect. I have found that I can take several hats of the same model and size and they all fit just a little different. Of course that may be why they are in the outlet store but I don't think so.

Scooterz

Practically Family
When using a horsehair hat brush on the strat in my avatar is works great on the felt but it grabs and pulls tiny fibers up on my brim binding. Anyone else had this issue? Guess I will try a really soft poly brush or something? I have a lint roller or painters blue tape I can use but i can't brush the brim with my hatbrush without it grabbing the ribbon on the edge. I have not noticed this on other hats at this point, just this one.

Yes, the Drifter is very stiff. I ride a motorcycle every day. Rain or shine. So my hat of the day is always in my right side saddlebag until I get to where I'm going. This isn't a problem for my crush hats and being that the bags on my Indian are quite large, I haven't had an issue with any of my other hats. Except the Drifter which is simply to large to fit in the bag.
I have a vintage Resistol that I've converted to an outback look, teardrop crease, 2 3/4" brim, black leather band, that rides in the left saddle bag of my Road King. The right bag is the "hot" bag on an Harley, left is cooler cause of less exhaust running thru that side. I don't have true duals. The only one that would do hat work at the HatCo place in Garland was at the Outlet store & I've heard Dave retired. I also use a helmet bag that came with my wife's full face Shoei to wrap my lid so it doesn't get too scuffed up in the saddle bag but it is a beater to start with. I like the shape of the Drifter but handled one in a western store & was not too impressed with the buffalo felt. It was stiff & a very coarse hand. Bet it would do better after a few soakings by the rain like an Akubra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112