Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I completely. I didn't think that the era was correct and all of this seller's prices are ludicrous. It's kind of annoying because he has some really nice hats. I'm tempted to give him a best offer but he won't like it because it'll be under $200 for sure. Maybe even under $100
Listen to those other guys. That's what we all do; they won't steer you wrong. Make sure you share photos of whatever hat you end up with. We all appreciate seeing others hats.

If you have more than a passing interest in hats you will learn a lot here at the Lounge. I'm a sponge and I realize that I know nothing yet but I'm having fun learning.

MatthewPace

New in Town
Listen to those other guys. That's what we all do; they won't steer you wrong. Make sure you share photos of whatever hat you end up with. We all appreciate seeing others hats.

If you have more than a passing interest in hats you will learn a lot here at the Lounge. I'm a sponge and I realize that I know nothing yet but I'm having fun learning.

Well I'm a Retail Management Major, I subscribe to The Gentleman's Gazette, and I've been researching hats and have been obsessed with finding a fedora for years, so I'm fairly willing to learn whatever I can. I truly appreciate the help. I'm gonna think over the Adam fedora for a little bit because I'm slightly unsure of the brim size and wish it came with a box but I may end up getting it

MatthewPace

New in Town
Which do you guys think would be the better buy:

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.10.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.10.52 AM.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stetson-Key...564696?hash=item2a90d5ea58:g:SEMAAOSwb7NZ24MO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pristine-Vi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I like the Stetson as well especially since it comes with a box. It a bit of a darker brown though

I'm not even qualified to speculate. I will recommend that you look through old treads and see hats on real people's heads. I was at first like you in my color preferences, but with exposure I've decided a really like the lighter colored hats. I too wear suits to work and I now find the lighter colored hats match more of what I wear. I also like the lighter colors for casual wear. It's all personal preference so there is no wrong answer, but do spend some time looking around. The forum titled "What Hat Are You Wearing Today" has some wonderful hats on real people. A couple hours looking around there is time well spent.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

if it is the box that sells you on that Stetson over the Adam I strongly recommend you do a little more research on all things vintage hats before you start spending your hard earned money

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
The Adam is the better hat, IMO. And the brim looks to be right about where you want it; certainly more than 2", and closer to 2-5/8" like you stated above.

That thin ribbon Stetson is super nice, too, and has the vintage box and all. In a year... you'll like the thin ribbon hats as much or more than the wide ribbon hats.... at least I do.

Grab that Adam and see what you think. It's certainly better than my first fur felt, or my second....

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
When you see a size tag in a Stetson that shows both the USA size and the European cm size, then it's not so old/vintage. I look for 50's and earlier myself, although I have nice hats from the 60's - 70's also.... the older hats generally have better felt, ribbon, etc.

MatthewPace

New in Town
if it is the box that sells you on that Stetson over the Adam I strongly recommend you do a little more research on all things vintage hats before you start spending your hard earned money

I was merely stating that it was convenient that it came with a box. I prefer the Adam as well due to its lighter color

MatthewPace

New in Town
I purchased the Adam hat. My only hat right now is my Goorin Gonzalez Panama and it has a ribbon of 1 1/2". I do prefer the thinner ribbons. Which means I'll be steering clear of some of the newer fedoras especially in the 60s when they started to get wider, at least so I've observed so far. Thank y'all so much. I'll be receiving it on the 21st and will be sure to post about it here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I purchased the Adam hat. My only hat right now is my Goorin Gonzalez Panama and it has a ribbon of 1 1/2". I do prefer the thinner ribbons. Which means I'll be steering clear of some of the newer fedoras especially in the 60s when they started to get wider, at least so I've observed so far. Thank y'all so much. I'll be receiving it on the 21st and will be sure to post about it here.
Congratulations.

For your original price of $300 you could get one of these too.
fba98badf4e1771e224f3bb540a8602c.jpg
22b4686ad2fe8564f65d91ba6e524762.jpg

Or any other color with any brim width you specify with your choice of ribbon, etc.

I love vintage too, but for what you were willing to spend there are some beautiful customs available. We also need to keep hat makers going because every year there are less of the old gems to be had.

Just one opinion from a fellow novice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MatthewPace

New in Town
For your original price of $300 you could get one of these too.
fba98badf4e1771e224f3bb540a8602c.jpg
22b4686ad2fe8564f65d91ba6e524762.jpg

Or any other color with any brim width you specify with your choice of ribbon, etc.

I love vintage too, but for what you were willing to spend there are some beautiful customs available. We also need to keep hat makers going because every year there are less of the old gems to be had.

Just one opinion from a fellow novice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That white with blue trim fedora is outstanding!! Who's it by?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ribbon width has nothing to do with what decade the hat was made
Your theory on the 60s and ribbon width is completely incorrect

Enjoy the hat and if your interest peaks continue to research ... it will be to your benefit

MatthewPace

New in Town
Ribbon width has nothing to do with what decade the hat was made
Your theory on the 60s and ribbon width is completely incorrect

Enjoy the hat and if your interest peaks continue to research ... it will be to your benefit

Fair enough. As stated it’s simply what I’ve observed some but nice to know that I’ve got plenty of learning to do. One can never learn too much on a subject or ever truly stop learning.

That white with blue trim fedora is outstanding!! Who's it by?
They are both by the Gannon Hat Company and they are shots taken from their website. Gannon has its own thread here and they are incredible, but they are just one maker and there are several others.

Look at some of the Gannons and other hats fellow Loungers wear. It's inspiring. There is a member who goes by Short Balding Guy who not only has some incredible hats he is also a great photographer. Look at his hats and those of several other members and be amazed.

Some of the longtime members can come across as gruff, but in my short experience they all want to help and they are very supportive.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy