Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
You know, that’s an excellent point. I have had the great fortune to deal with two of the vendors here so far (Miss Esther Weis/EstherWeis and Rick Walker/ humanshoes of Phoenix Hats), and have had great interactions with both. I would recommend either to other Lounge members.

But I have never been able to find a definite list, as such, of the Lounge vendors. It’s not in the Lounge Guides, not in the empty FAQs section, not in the Merchants section of the Classified forum, and I haven’t found one by searching the weak search engine here on site.

I ask this not to be argumentative of HJ’s excellent point, but because I do think such a list would benefit members and vendors alike and fully support the idea. But, do we have such a list readily available?

Thanks,
Regan

Last edited:
Well, my default answer is Bob at Black Sheep. The wait list is long (I didn't even ask Bob how long the line was, I just sent a deposit). Bob has reproduced a vintage Borsalino Torino of mine for one of his customers...I sent it in for a new sweat, somebody saw it when he posted on FB and commissioned one!
11864990_10154083032126679_1618811803955140916_o.jpg

I like the look of Wellema hats too and was very close to ordering before I decided to stick with Bob. His work is exemplary, and details like custom embossments and European style hat hangers put him over the top, IMHO.
Last time I ordered from Bob at BlackSheep it was the better part of a year before I received a great hat. How long is Wellema's wait list?

You know, that’s an excellent point. I have had the great fortune to deal with two of the vendors here so far (Miss Esther Weis/EstherWeis and Rick Walker/ humanshoes of Phoenix Hats), and have had great interactions with both. I would recommend either to other Lounge members.

But I have never been able to find a definite list, as such, of the Lounge vendors. It’s not in the Lounge Guides, not in the empty FAQs section, not in the Merchants section of the Classified forum, and I haven’t found one by searching the weak search engine here on site.

I ask this not to be argumentative of HJ’s excellent point, but because I do think such a list would benefit members and vendors alike and fully support the idea. But, do we have such a list readily available?

Thanks,
Regan
I compiled one once with their various price points but for the life of me cannot remember which thread. I know I did catch some crap for a few oversights/omissions. It was not a review just a listing with price points. I refrained from reviews as it is such a subjective matter.

We are spoiled for choice in custom hatters. I’ll throw The Phoenix Hat Company onto the list as worthy of consideration. Send @humanshoes a PM if you’re interested. Top quality hats at incredible prices.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is likely of little help to you but I have customs (multiples from some of the hatters) from every US based custom hatter here on the lounge (plus Esther) and a few others not present on the lounge. All at different price points with a wide range of $$$ between top and bottom. I can say that I was well pleased with all of them. Yes, there are differences at the various price points but dollars spent do not represent a linear progression of quality. I think whichever hatter you choose here on the lounge, if you are clear on your wants, you will get a hat you will be proud to wear. Do you want a good hat or are you after a grail hat? Do you want it sooner or are you willing to endure a lengthy wait?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is there a difference between contributing Sponsors of the FL and those who simply post here?

I am most likely all wet, but I assumed Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes (VS) was one of the founding paid sponsors here and one of the few, if only, remaining paid vendors here.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

I have hats from Art, Mike Miller, Michael Gannon, John Penman and I'm at the top of the wait list for a hat each for me and my wife at Bob Jesse's shop. I like having examples of their work in my collection. I'd order more from Esther, Rick, Tim Kane, etc, etc... but I am - again - between jobs, and out of storage space.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Is there a difference between contributing Sponsors of the FL and those who simply post here?

I am most likely all wet, but I assumed Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes (VS) was one of the founding paid sponsors here and one of the few, if only, remaining paid vendors here.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

I have hats from Art, Mike Miller, Michael Gannon, John Penman and I'm at the top of the wait list for a hat each for me and my wife at Bob Jesse's shop. I like having examples of their work in my collection. I'd order more from Esther, Rick, Tim Kane, etc, etc... but I am - again - between jobs, and out of storage space.

Both Esther and Rick have “VENDOR” listed underneath their screen names, so I assumed that meant they were either sponsoring vendors or at least sanctioned somehow by the Lounge? I’m new here and you know how assumptions can turn out, so take this with a grain of salt...

Tukwila

Both Esther and Rick have “VENDOR” listed underneath their screen names, so I assumed that meant they were either sponsoring vendors or at least sanctioned somehow by the Lounge? I’m new here and you know how assumptions can turn out, so take this with a grain of salt...
No, that makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

aihpcfl

New in Town
I'm curious about metal in the Akubra Bajo Patterson hat.

Here is why I ask. I've worn this hat many times through TSA metal detectors. This morning I had an issue and removing the hat (and sending it through X-Ray) resolved it.

I doubt the little emblem on the hat band was the problem, but maybe. I wonder if there is a light metal wire in the construction of the hat band. Is that the explanation? Or good guess?

The rest of the story is this was at DCA. The metal detector was very sensitive. Practically every man was having to remove stuff and go back through the scanner. I do this a lot, and it is the first time I've had a problem like this. Likewise I have been traveling with this hat, and first problem like this with the hat.

Thanks for any thoughts.

The hat band is made from the skin of a fish in Australia, according to Akubra. I can't remember the name of the fish. As far as attachment to the hat, I assumed stitching as well.

All I have to go on at the moment is I didn't trigger the detector when I took the hat off. Later when I'm home I'll send an email to Akubra and ask.

I do hate to leave the hat. I love it. But I really don't like putting it on the belt. It's risky. I had a Borsalino Marco get crushed once. Lucky for me it was a crushable hat, and it bounced right back.

Lesson learned. I will research in more detail on future hat purchases.

As an aside, I travel a lot. In warm weather I wear a Tilley. I have a number of them. Big brass grommets. I've been through TSA metal detectors with a Tilley I don't know how many times, including this one at DCA, many times. Never triggered the detector before.

As someone wrote above, when set to very sensitive they may trigger on a gum wrapper.

Thanks all.

I think that is probably right. When I got home I took a close look at the hat and the hat band. I really can't see there being a wire in the hat band. Why would there be? Doesn't seem necessary, anyway. That leaves just the metallic looking Akubra emblem--the tiny little emblem. I'm more irritated now than I was this morning, and surprised the zipper and metal button on my jeans didn't set off the detector. Ridiculous.

I emailed Akubra around the time I posted last. Received response today.

BEGIN CUT & PASTE

Thank you for your enquiry.

All Akubras other than the Avalon, Traveller and International hats have a metal wire in the leather. This wire keeps the hat crown in shape, and has been traditional in Akubras for decades.

The Avalon, Traveller and International have a “burckram inner” which is a padded cotton sweatband and contains no metal wire.

Basically, if it has a leather band, it will likely have a metal wire in it.

Kind Regards

END CUT & PASTE

So, interesting and useful. I'm happy to have the answer. And Akubra exceeded my expectations with their response.

Just sharing information.

camhabib

New in Town
I'm sure this is a bit of a silly question but, I just picked up a Stetson felt hat (most similar to the Carson). While I love the size of it, the brim is turned up all the way around and is quite stiff. I'd prefer if the front was turned down a bit and was wondering if there is any safe / good way to do this?

Desert dog

Hey camhabib, steam. You can use a tea kettle for steam. You may also use a spray bottle to spray distilled water onto the brim, then steam it until it is soft enough to bend. Go slow, it may take several sessions to get it where you want it. Western hats have stiff brims and require patience. Check out YouTube for hat shaping.
I'm sure this is a bit of a silly question but, I just picked up a Stetson felt hat (most similar to the Carson). While I love the size of it, the brim is turned up all the way around and is quite stiff. I'd prefer if the front was turned down a bit and was wondering if there is any safe / good way to do this?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

camhabib

New in Town
Hey camhabib, steam. You can use a tea kettle for steam. You may also use a spray bottle to spray distilled water onto the brim, then steam it until it is soft enough to bend. Go slow, it may take several sessions to get it where you want it. Western hats have stiff brims and require patience. Check out YouTube for hat shaping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Much appreciated. Would steam help to "break in" the felt and make it a bit less stiff or does that just come with time?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Western hat felt takes a lot of breaking in to lose their stiffness.

In fact, they are not meant to be de-stiffened (is that a word?), especially the brims. Otherwise they would lose their shape in a big hurry. Large brims will do that more and faster than small brims.

But with stream, they can be reshaped. They will then maintain their stiffness, and therefore their shape.

..."All Akubras other than the Avalon, Traveller and International hats have a metal wire in the leather. This wire keeps the hat crown in shape, and has been traditional in Akubras for decades...Basically, if it has a leather band, it will likely have a metal wire in it."...
Interesting. I have six Akubras, a couple of which have been accidentally crushed/squished/deformed, and I would never have guessed there was any wire in them. Thank you for sharing this!

camhabib

New in Town
Thanks for the help! Last question (for now), I ordered a couple sizes and one was a tiny bit too small, the other was a tiny bit too big. I figured the leather would shrink at least a tiny bit over time and the hat would fit spot on, but until then, what's the best material to use to take out just a bit of the space?

Tukwila

folded paper under the sweatband, or you can get foam spacers from some hat shops. Just don't remove the backing so you can remove the spacer in the future.

Which model did you order?

camhabib

New in Town

psklenar

One of the Regulars

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys, thanks for all the tips.

I probably don’t want to wait a year for a hat and am not quite ready to spend $500 plus either. I am considering midnight blue or dark moss beaver felt with a 2 inch matching ribbon, or slightly contrasting ribbon to bring out the felt color, blue or green.
I wonder if a 2-5/8 inch shallow flange brim, with a 5-3/4 inch open crown with a wide center crease and tight pinch would be similar to these vintage Borsalinos:
d9ce16fbdc843fa1016737a81726d72e.jpg

11864990_10154083032126679_1618811803955140916_o.jpg

I welcome any comments or suggestions.
Peace.

Last edited:

Tukwila

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips.

I probably don’t want to wait a year for a hat and am not quite ready to spend $500 plus either. I am considering midnight blue or dark moss beaver felt with a 2 inch matching ribbon, or slightly contrasting ribbon to bring out the felt color, blue or green.
I wonder if a 2-5/8 inch shallow flange brim, with a 5-3/4 inch open crown with a wide center crease and tight pinch would be similar to these vintage Borsalinos:
View attachment 138627
View attachment 138627

I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Peace.
I'd contact some hatters you have in mind and ask them what they think of your idea. Those are my usual requested specs on custom hats. It's hard to tell simply from a picture without anything to go on for reference, but I'd guess that crown is between 5-1/2 to 5-3/4 and the brim closer to 2-1/2... but that's just a guess.

Like @Redfokker , my next custom is going to have a 6" open crown so I can go with a deeper diamond crease, and I've asked for a 2-3/4" brim this time. There's a lot you can do with a tall crown/wide brim fedora.

But I love the pic of that Borsalino you have there. Maybe @jlee562 can chime in with the specs on his Borsalino for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24