Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I thought I’d have to make hundreds of hats—and at least own a flange—before getting compared to Nick Fouquet. Ha ha.
I thought I’d have to make hundreds of hats—and at least own a flange—before getting compared to Nick Fouquet. Ha ha.

That was a textbook example of damning with faint praise. :) You are probably already a better hatter than Nick.

I will give Mr. Fouquet credit for being a decent businessman. Poorly made hats made quickly and with minimal skill or time and charging (and getting!) a huge premium. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Does anyone remember or have the reference for when the printer’s mark or bug on the a United Hatters union label shifted from parallel to diagonal? Was it mid-40s? I have cited the post and written about it myself but can’t find my own reference!

If someone has the info handy it will help me out; I’ll search a little more all the same.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Researching more on my question:

The Lounge has a couple posts and lots of pics that show the United Hatters...International label printer bug parallel is from ‘34 to about ‘46.

I found my own comment in the Noble Schoble pointing to the change from parallel to diagonal in about ‘46, I think that is based off the ‘46 “1817 to 1823” change in Mallory hats that also show the printer bug change. According to Brad Bowers ‘46 is also the date these labels started appearing in HCA hats.

This post is the closest I found to establishing a date:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/look-for-the-union-label.59329/page-2#post-1553831

I anyone has other references to refresh my memory on how I reached the about 46 date, I’d be thankful to read more. Sometimes I forget where I read this stuff!

Does anyone remember or have the reference for when the printer’s mark or bug on the a United Hatters union label shifted from parallel to diagonal? Was it mid-40s? I have cited the post and written about it myself but can’t find my own reference!

If someone has the info handy it will help me out; I’ll search a little more all the same.

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Hey Guys,
I recently ordered a Beige100% cotton Doria Drivers Cap, for the warm Summers here in South Side Türkiye on the Mediterranean, from a high end online clothing shop here.

What arrived was a beige 100% cashmere Doria Drivers Cap. It was the right size and looks like a work of Art. But I'm afraid it won't be my answer for this Summer.
Although, it is lighter than air and fits like a dream, so I'm keeping it. So maybe it will be a good Spring Golf Hat?

I am absolutely unfamiliar with cashmere Ivy caps.... What should I expect?? Any thought?

Its super lite! Could this be an all year cap? And will it handle a shower or not?

I usually iron my tweed flat caps when wrinkled, I'm thinking I should maybe not touch the cashmere with an iron, thoughts?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While softer to the touch than wool, cashmere is not super delicate. A light to medium warm ironing should be fine imo. And if its thin and light it may very well breath well enough to be cool on your head except in direct summer sun.

Light showers should be fine. Getting any cap soaked runs the risk of losing its shape, but setting on a rounded hat stand will help as it dries. Ironing is also an option.

I was actually hoping you were looking to sell it! Do you have pics to post, and does the shop have a website?

JamesC

Familiar Face
Can someone please date this hat for me my wife picked it up at a estate sale she knows I am 7 3/8 but for some reason she pick this one up which is a 7 3/4 :)
IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko