Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Granville

One of the Regulars
Some folks use water and some use steam. I predominantly use steam.
I've used the steam to soften the felt for stretching a hat, but this hat is soft enough. I'm trying to get the dents to stiffen/fix. But also I'll be reluctant to use any starch/spray (hair spray?) on it. Right now I'm creasing/pinching along the top ridges of the center crease above where I want the dents, and that seems to be working. I'm just looking to add small divots, nothing too dramatic.
As always, thanks for the advice and support.

I've used the steam to soften the felt for stretching a hat, but this hat is soft enough. I'm trying to get the dents to stiffen/fix. But also I'll be reluctant to use any starch/spray (hair spray?) on it. Right now I'm creasing/pinching along the top ridges of the center crease above where I want the dents, and that seems to be working. I'm just looking to add small divots, nothing too dramatic.

Steam is what I’d use to do just what you’re after. Steam the dents and hold them in place with your fingers for 30 seconds. Repeat as needed. It’s really helpful if you have a source of steam that you can direct to a certain spot. Jiffy hat steamers work great, but a kettle can certainly be used too.

Steam will do the job you are after. If it is obstinate try holding the pinches in place after you have steamed. Hold in place allowing the felt to cool. It should set up for you.

@carouselvic

Or anyone else. I have always associated this style Stetson script & nomenclature with the Stevens era. Is that an accurate assumption? Or could it be from one of the other 14 foreign licensing agreements Stetson had at the time leading up to Stevens?

If accurate I find it intriguing that Truman left office in 1953, the Truman library was built in 1957, yrs before the Stevens era. And although the hat case has a small Presidential seal the nomenclature does not refer to "President".

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_9351.JPG

dkstott

Practically Family
No question in this. Just a shout out to Delmonico Hatters.

I live within a 30 minute drive of the store. But due to Covid & weather, I haven't been able to get there in well over 6 months.

Not long after I walked in the store, Ben Delmonico greets me by my name. He asked how the hats that I've purchased from him are holding up. ) Akubra Banjo Patterson, Stetson Beaver, etc. )

I asked him about a few things I've seen on his website. He runs down to the basement/ warehouse and comes back with several items IN MY SIZE.

I love doing business with small businesses.

FyI I purchased a few caps today. He added a 15% discount to the prices.
20220510_112336.jpg

Question: is there much of a difference between a 2 1/2” brim and 2 5/8”? And more specifically, would a 2 5/8” brim still be considered in the “formal” range, i.e. worn with a suit or sport coat?

In my opinion, small differences do make a significant difference in the feel of a hat. I don’t consider the fedora a particularly formal hat, but I do agree that those with brims in the 2 5/8” range look better on me when dressed up. A lot of the t has to do with proportions. A 2 1/2” brim can look fairly wide on someone who wears a size 6 7/8, but it looks rather small on my at 7 3/4. Unless I’m going for a stingy brim look, my lower limit is a 2 5/8” brim. I also think the wider 2 3/4 to 3” brims look good dressed up.

Brims widths changed over the decades, and different widths were worn with the same type of attire. A 1920s-‘30s fedora will probably have a more modest brim width. A 1940s to early 1950s fedora will often have a more generous brim. Those made in the later 1950s through the ‘60s often had brims even narrower than those of the 1930s.

There are a lot of components that add to a hats formality. A hat that is pristine in shape and condition automatically looks more formal. Wider ribbons are more formal than thinner ones. The colors of the felt and ribbon and the contrasts between them changes the formality. The right fedora with a 2 5/8” or even larger brim can certainly pair well with a suit or sport coat.

In my opinion, small differences do make a significant difference in the feel of a hat. I don’t consider the fedora a particularly formal hat, but I do agree that those with brims in the 2 5/8” range look better on me when dressed up. A lot of the t has to do with proportions. A 2 1/2” brim can look fairly wide on someone who wears a size 6 7/8, but it looks rather small on my at 7 3/4. Unless I’m going for a stingy brim look, my lower limit is a 2 5/8” brim. I also think the wider 2 3/4 to 3” brims look good dressed up.

Brims widths changed over the decades, and different widths were worn with the same type of attire. A 1920s-‘30s fedora will probably have a more modest brim width. A 1940s to early 1950s fedora will often have a more generous brim. Those made in the later 1950s through the ‘60s often had brims even narrower than those of the 1930s.

There are a lot of components that add to a hats formality. A hat that is pristine in shape and condition automatically looks more formal. Wider ribbons are more formal than thinner ones. The colors of the felt and ribbon and the contrasts between them changes the formality. The right fedora with a 2 5/8” or even larger brim can certainly pair well with a suit or sport coat.
Also, the fullness of the crown plays a part. I like full crowns, no taper and found that the 2 5/8" brim is more my sweet spot than my previous of 2 1/2".

LEOSTARK

New in Town
My head size is about 2mm above 57cm, and when I ordered a stylemaster from hatsdirect, they were incredibly helpful and sent me a 58cm on the smaller side with some sizing strips. 1 sizing strip in and it fits very well!

When I ordered another colour stylemaster from hats.by.the.100, I gave the exact same information and they sent me 57cm hat. It fits a little more snug than the one from hatsdirect without any sizing strip, but still comfortable.

Is it justified to pay for shipping and exchange the smaller hat for 1 size up to accommodate for shrinkage over age? Or am I thinking too much about it? Thanks.

My head size is about 2mm above 57cm, and when I ordered a stylemaster from hatsdirect, they were incredibly helpful and sent me a 58cm on the smaller side with some sizing strips. 1 sizing strip in and it fits very well!

When I ordered another colour stylemaster from hats.by.the.100, I gave the exact same information and they sent me 57cm hat. It fits a little more snug than the one from hatsdirect without any sizing strip, but still comfortable.

Is it justified to pay for shipping and exchange the smaller hat for 1 size up to accommodate for shrinkage over age? Or am I thinking too much about it? Thanks.
I am not a heavy sweat guy so the leather sweat bands in my hats don't get saturated. I think from that I have not had much of a problem with shrinkage in my Akubra hats. There are many folks here that do experience shrinkage. I think the amount of wear, the level of sweat it absorbs goes a long way in determining the shrink rate.

So I fished a hat out of the 'Bay this morning, and it's made from Polypropylene "straw". The brim is juuuuuust asymmetrical enough to annoy me, so I'm hoping someone here can verify that hot tap water will soften this stuff enough for me to put the brim back into it's original shape and hold that shape as it cools, because I don't have a way to apply steam. Or if there's a preferred method (again, no steam) I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

I do feel it when I put it on, then my skin gets used to it. It's not painful or anything, but it does leave a few red marks on my forehead, specially that wrinkle at the front.

Good to see you, Brent! :)
If it is leaving marks I suggest the hat is too snug. The wrinkles in a hat that fits shouldn't pose a problem as the wearing them smooths them out whilst on your head. But the short answer is that I don't know of a way of eliminating the wrinkles short of replacing the sweat band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ