Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Where does everyone get their grosgrain and Petersham from? I have a couple of nice hats I'd like to change out the ribbon on but not sure where to start. Also any good tutorials on the art of bow making? TIA

Petersham is a type of grosgrain (I learned that the hard way). The finished edge grosgrain is what most of us want in men’s hats and not petersham. Etsy is a decent place to buy it, but plan on spending for the good stuff.

Where does everyone get their grosgrain and Petersham from? I have a couple of nice hats I'd like to change out the ribbon on but not sure where to start. Also any good tutorials on the art of bow making? TIA
FiniRibbon on Etsy, VintageTrims on Etsy & Ebay are two good ones. Word of caution...Petersham is used by milliners on hats for ladies. Woven edge grosgrain is for men's hats. Both are called 'grosgrain'. Make sure you buy the woven edge. (straight edge) Petersham has a scalloped top and bottom edge and looks strange on a men's hat. Also for your own sanity stay away from polyester grosgrain....it is a bitch to work with. Buy vintage cotton/rayon ribbon....you will thank me.
It is important to 'swirl' the ribbon (google it) to get a tight top edge. There is a pictorial somewhere here in theLounge on ribbon/bow work...try on Google..."Fedora Lounge, making a bow"

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get mine from Etsy. I have seen a few men’s fedora’s with petersham but by far the vast majority are straightedge.

petersham
IMG_4058.jpeg

strightedge
IMG_5828.jpeg

Michiganiac

New in Town
Marking leather sweatbands?

How do you guys mark your hats, so as to inficate ownership?

Embossing? Stamping? Or do you just scribe it on there with a stylus/awl etc.?

I think Herbert Johnson's offers up to four letters embossing on their leather sweat bands. Pretty sure thats limited to ones you order from them though.

I don't bother in case I tire of it and want to move it on. It certainly won't stop it being stolen or help it being returned to me should L leave it somewhere. To me it just mars a good hat and lowers its resale value.

Marking leather sweatbands?
How do you guys mark your hats, so as to inficate ownership?

Embossing? Stamping? Or do you just scribe it on there with a stylus/awl etc.?

I think Herbert Johnson's offers up to four letters embossing on their leather sweat bands. Pretty sure thats limited to ones you order from them though.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Question:
Has anyone been having trouble the last 3 or so days with the Lounge loading when accessed? Being very slow when changing threads or accessing quotes? Slow to no image loading?
I’m on an iPhone and haven’t changed any phone settings nor Lounge settings and sometimes it just times out.
Even when successful things seem very slow to respond.
Pretty frustrating.
Anybody else??
B

Question:
Has anyone been having trouble the last 3 or so days with the Lounge loading when accessed? Being very slow when changing threads or accessing quotes? Slow to no image loading?
I’m on an iPhone and haven’t changed any phone settings nor Lounge settings and sometimes it just times out.
Pretty frustrating.
Anybody else??
B

YES! It’s been very frustrating.

Robieman

A-List Customer
Question:
Pretty frustrating.
Anybody else??
B
Yes! It’s aggravating!

So I am very new to hats and I have found a 100% beaver hat, made in USA by a brand called Miller Hats. Does anyone have experience with this hat brand? how comparable is the felt to stetson rabbit fur felts?

link: https://millerhats.com/store/Beaver-Fedoras/078_The_Belmont

Thanks!!
Miller is a 'brand'. As far as I know they do not make hats but get other hat manufacturers to private label hats for them. I have a rabbit hat by them..It looks like a Biltmore to my eye. Not a bad hat, decent quality for the price I paid but definitely not top drawer. But if it is the style you like $300 is not a bad price for beaver.....$50 to $100 less than a custom beaver hat

Question:
Pretty frustrating.
Anybody else??
B

Maybe a bartender can let us know what’s going on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy