Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dkstott

Practically Family
Kevin from JJ hat's just announced on his YouTube channel that JJ hat's was sold about a month ago. A European conglomerate bought the company.

Reportedly they're going to bring in new lines of hats ( Stetson Europe) models and others.

As part his announcement, he told us that he was laid off after 20+ years of working there.

Kevin from JJ hat's just announced on his YouTube channel that JJ hat's was sold about a month ago. A European conglomerate bought the company.

Reportedly they're going to bring in new lines of hats ( Stetson Europe) models and others.

As part his announcement, he told us that he was laid off after 20+ years of working there.
Oh wow.. that is really unfortunate. He is a guy that really cares about the hat business. Keeping in a bit of history with the modern. Sad to hear that.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

Kevin seems to have gone above and beyond for that business. It's a real shame for him to be let go (from my extremely limited perspective). He really left a legacy behind - I hope he lands on his feet.

Alexwood

New in Town
This seems to work on other sites, so I figure that it deserves a shot here.

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Here's one to break the ice.
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCards.jpg
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCardsback.jpg

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Alexwood

New in Town

Does anybody know if all vintage Biltmore Imperial Homburg hats made in Canada were made of rabbit fur felt. I was asking a seller on eBay if felt meant rabbit felt or wool felted they did not know. I cannot see anything that says fur felt, from the research I have done it seems Biltmore Canada would have used only rabbit felt in their hats. I have been on a steep learning curve since I have never owned a fur felt fedora just felted wool.

Does anybody know if all vintage Biltmore Imperial Homburg hats made in Canada were made of rabbit fur felt. I was asking a seller on eBay if felt meant rabbit felt or wool felted they did not know. I cannot see anything that says fur felt, from the research I have done it seems Biltmore Canada would have used only rabbit felt in their hats. I have been on a steep learning curve since I have never owned a fur felt fedora just felted wool.

I don’t “know,” but I’d be shocked if it wasn’t fur felt.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
If you are exactly 59 then I would order a 59. If you are between 59 and 60, then I would order a 60.

My Balmoral is slightly too big for me because I bought it when I had long hair, but it is still comfortable and secure on my crown. Better a little big then too small IMO because I don’t know how easily those things stretch (Akubra felts stretch all day long, but the hemp is not as easy).

If you’re going to be sweating in it, then the sweatband should shrink a little as well.

blewnote

New in Town
A new to me, but I think from the early 40s, Knox Homburg arrived at my house today. It is a very dark blue, either midnight or dark navy. When handling the hat my fingers started to stain blue. None of the other vintage hats I've bought recently seem to have this effect on my skin.

Is this something peculiar to hats that are on the older side? (I think all my other vintage hats are from the 1950s/60s) Or is it indicative of some kind of issue with the hat? Is there anything I should do to stop this from continuing, seeing as I don't wish to have my skin or clothes dyed a dark blue?

A new to me, but I think from the early 40s, Knox Homburg arrived at my house today. It is a very dark blue, either midnight or dark navy. When handling the hat my fingers started to stain blue. None of the other vintage hats I've bought recently seem to have this effect on my skin.

Is this something peculiar to hats that are on the older side? (I think all my other vintage hats are from the 1950s/60s) Or is it indicative of some kind of issue with the hat? Is there anything I should do to stop this from continuing, seeing as I don't wish to have my skin or clothes dyed a dark blue?

I’ve never experienced anything like this. Could you add several good photos of the hat, including the inside?

blewnote

New in Town
I’ve never experienced anything like this. Could you add several good photos of the hat, including the inside?

Post in thread 'The School of Hard Knox' https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-school-of-hard-knox.18386/post-3036420

After I made the post in the Knox thread I saw a comment Brad Bowers made about a size tag similar to the one on mine, and now I am wondering if it's actually from before the merger with Hat Corp., which would put it pre- 1932.

Edit: Am curious to hear what you think since I know you handle a lot of these hats.

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

I recall reading about an old technique hat refurbishers used to use. Colored powder was worked into the felt to refresh and even out the color when the felt was sun-faded. Maybe this was done to your hat at some point in it's journey tbrough time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot