Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Savannah.

I'm hoping some of your expertise might assist.
I recently purchased a black Stetson Pinnacle. While it may not be as fine as some customs I am fortunate to own, it is nonetheless a very beautiful hat. All beaver, well-made, and nicely shaped--the hat is quite nice.

Is it possible to reshape the crown? And is it possible to do so without sending it to a hatmaker? in short, can I reshape the crown at home?
It is currently a center dent. I prefer a teardrop or diamond crown.
The current center dent looks good. Its just not my preferred shape.

Nonetheless, I do not want to ruin either the hat or the shape by attempting to perform something complicated that only a professional should do. I have shaped some brims (felt and straw) with steam etc but that is it. My hat "repair" skills are not even limited. I'm a cassette guy in a streaming world.

Welcome your suggestions and guidance.

IMG_4973.jpg

I recently purchased a black Stetson Pinnacle. While it may not be as fine as some customs I am fortunate to own, it is nonetheless a very beautiful hat. All beaver, well-made, and nicely shaped--the hat is quite nice.

Is it possible to reshape the crown? And is it possible to do so without sending it to a hatmaker? in short, can I reshape the crown at home?

Nonetheless, I do not want to ruin either the hat or the shape by attempting to perform something complicated that only a professional should do. I have shaped some brims (felt and straw) with steam etc but that is it. My hat "repair" skills are not even limited. I'm a cassette guy in a streaming world.

View attachment 574474
I don’t have too much experience with modern felts…. But With plenty of steam you should be able to reshape however you like. Pretty sure the pinnacle is fur felt… so shrinkage shouldnt be much of an issue. Just the time and patience and steam

Altiori

One of the Regulars
I don’t have too much experience with modern felts…. But With plenty of steam you should be able to reshape however you like. Pretty sure the pinnacle is fur felt… so shrinkage shouldnt be much of an issue. Just the time and patience and steam
Yes. It is all beaver. A thick felt. Very nicely made.
Thank you for your recommendation.

Yes. It is all beaver. A thick felt. Very nicely made.
Thank you for your recommendation.

I'm going to somewhat disagree with Joe, here. The Pinnacle is factory precreased with stiffeners added during manufacture. Steaming it to open crown and reshaping those hats can be a challenge.

In addition, it's likely blocked to take that crease, so you may wind up trying to recrease a hat that fights your new crease.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I'm going to somewhat disagree with Joe, here. The Pinnacle is factory precreased with stiffeners added during manufacture. Steaming it to open crown and reshaping those hats can be a challenge.

In addition, it's likely blocked to take that crease, so you may wind up trying to recrease a hat that fights your new crease.
I believe the Pinnacle is also based off the Temple if I remember correctly. I had a temple before and there isn't a lot of crown to work with there, it seems like a diamond or teardrop crease is going to take up more of what little crown is there.

Altiori

One of the Regulars

I appreciate Blare's suggestion as I do yours. I think that given your most recent recommendations, I'll stand down. I'll enjoy the center dent rather than "dent" it further.

As an aside, I haven't posted in a bit but have remained an avid reader of the Lounge. It is a great forum not just for these questions and replies but also to enjoy the company of fellow lovers of lids.

Thank you.

Superman

New in Town
Has anyone heard of and/or shopped with BellyHat? I ordered a hat from them and shipping shows that it's still in Ireland despite the site mentioning Signapore as its base of operations. I hope I haven't been scammed. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 574474
That it has a centre dent is a big plus. When I am creasing a Ccrown, diamond or teardrop I start with the centre dent and then work outwards. Unless this hat has inordinate amounts of stiffener you should be able to crease it to your likeing. A light spritz of water and copious steam and you should be able to manipulate it easily to your desired crease. I would use a handheld clothing steamer.

Edward

Bartender
I'm looking ahead to next Summer and keeping an eye out for deals some nice straws - specifically, Stratoliners and the Dobbs Rosebud. I see that both come in florentine and hemp. In both cases, the hemp is about forty bucks more expensive. Is there an appreciable difference in durability? In particular, is hemp better if caught in rain? (Conversely, if a nice Florentine came up, would I regret not springing for a hemp, even if that meant a different colour?)

I'm looking ahead to next Summer and keeping an eye out for deals some nice straws - specifically, Stratoliners and the Dobbs Rosebud. I see that both come in florentine and hemp. In both cases, the hemp is about forty bucks more expensive. Is there an appreciable difference in durability? In particular, is hemp better if caught in rain? (Conversely, if a nice Florentine came up, would I regret not springing for a hemp, even if that meant a different colour?)

I’ve had a couple of the “Florentine Milan” Dobbs hats and I don’t like them. As far as I could tell they are plastic and they don’t breathe.

Has anyone heard of and/or shopped with BellyHat? I ordered a hat from them and shipping shows that it's still in Ireland despite the site mentioning Signapore as its base of operations. I hope I haven't been scammed. Thanks in advance.

I haven't heard of them before, but their website has the same appearance as a lot of "fly by night" distributors who advertise on Facebook. A lot of the photos of "their" products I've also seen on any number of websites, some like Sterkowski Caps and Hats from whom I've never received a bad product or bad service. Unless someone else here has good things to say about BellyHat, I'd suggest you steer clear and not risk dealing with a website that might no longer exist in a couple of months.

Granville

One of the Regulars
I’ve had a couple of the “Florentine Milan” Dobbs hats and I don’t like them. As far as I could tell they are plastic and they don’t breathe.
Thanks for the heads up. I like the look and had one on my radar, but I've read too much about how modern "milan" is very plastic-like. I already have a very plastic Panama-style straw (a Larry Mahan "royal shantung" manufactured by Milano Hat Co). I dig the look/shape, and it has vents and a leather sweat which help make it comfortable, but... one plastic lid is enough

Superman

New in Town
I haven't heard of them before, but their website has the same appearance as a lot of "fly by night" distributors who advertise on Facebook. A lot of the photos of "their" products I've also seen on any number of websites, some like Sterkowski Caps and Hats from whom I've never received a bad product or bad service. Unless someone else here has good things to say about BellyHat, I'd suggest you steer clear and not risk dealing with a website that might no longer exist in a couple of months.
Thank you! That's what I'm thinking as well. Something is definitely off.

Thanks for the heads up. I like the look and had one on my radar, but I've read too much about how modern "milan" is very plastic-like. I already have a very plastic Panama-style straw (a Larry Mahan "royal shantung" manufactured by Milano Hat Co). I dig the look/shape, and it has vents and a leather sweat which help make it comfortable, but... one plastic lid is enough
I have a few vintage Milan, likely made from the original Italian wheat straw (hence the name Milan). If you are patient they can be had for reasonable money. Wellema out of LA is one of the few modern hatters still making the sewn Milan straw hats. His prices are not bad at all.

It is one of those FaceBook scammers. This is a time the axiom holds absolutely true...."If it appears to good to be true.......then it very likely is". What are the chances a $70 hat (including shipping) is going to be wearable?

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Does anyone make a good Irish flat cap or patchwork cap with a leather sweat? I seem to remember (years ago when I was more active on TFL) that people liked Hannah Hat's, but they don't seem to offer leather sweat bands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy