Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I’m not really a cap guy but I’m fairly certain that Cordova Caps makes gorgeous caps that have (at least some of them) leather sweats.
I wasn't either, but then I broke my shoulder and started wearing an old cap I had laying around (because I could get the sling over my head without taking it off; fedora was getting in the way). I started realizing during the last 8 weeks that the cap is kind of nice in some circumstances. I look at Cordova!

Does anyone make a good Irish flat cap or patchwork cap with a leather sweat? I seem to remember (years ago when I was more active on TFL) that people liked Hannah Hat's, but they don't seem to offer leather sweat bands.
I have a number of Ami Charnel caps (now out of business) his caps had cloth sweats but if asked he would sew in a nice leather one. I would contact the company and ask....you never know.

AHP91

Practically Family
Excuse the newbie question and perspective: I found a seemingly 1930s/1940s wide 8 panel newsboy hat in gray/blue heavier plain denim twill, longer brim. My size (bigger medium size) good condition with satin lining. Has a U.S. label from a maker I cannot find. Seller wants about 100 bucks for it.

I can’t tell if I’d be overpaying for it. I’m sure the more elaborate designs with the art deco belt buckles ones are more valuable, but I can’t seem to find other authentic pieces of this age in this style. Does this seem like a reasonable price or would I be able to snag one of these cheap? Thank you.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hard to say. A few pictures of the hat and any logos and labels would be helpful.

Excuse the newbie question and perspective: I found a seemingly 1930s/1940s wide 8 panel newsboy hat in gray/blue heavier plain denim twill, longer brim. My size (bigger medium size) good condition with satin lining. Has a U.S. label from a maker I cannot find. Seller wants about 100 bucks for it.

I can’t tell if I’d be overpaying for it. I’m sure the more elaborate designs with the art deco belt buckles ones are more valuable, but I can’t seem to find other authentic pieces of this age in this style. Does this seem like a reasonable price or would I be able to snag one of these cheap? Thank you.

AHP91

Practically Family
Hard to say. A few pictures of the hat and any logos and labels would be helpful.

Of course, here’s the cap. Thank you for any input
8CD21E1E-6562-430C-9C0C-08BFAB8D1ECD.png
965B7869-E3DB-443B-9DFD-5FBF59A5AAAE.png
7BFA89E0-79C5-4499-8A7D-88B41AA2CABE.png
3D5D870A-5372-4C5F-9F36-88594448BC76.png

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
What type of hat most closely resembles this? thanks

View attachment 581337

View attachment 581338
For named models with a wide brim with wide(r) brim binding and wide(r) ribbon you could search for the Stetson Whippet or the Dobbs Hanover Square. Most hats, however, didn't have a model name on the sweatband and/or lining. If you limit yourself to a Whippet or Hanover Square be prepared to pay a premium price. Many more hats exist with these characteristics that don't include the model name. With that wider brim dimension you'd probably want to search for a hat from the 1940s to early 1950s.

What size are you looking for?

AHP91

Practically Family
For named models with a wide brim with wide(r) brim binding and wide(r) ribbon you could search for the Stetson Whippet or the Dobbs Hanover Square. Most hats, however, didn't have a model name on the sweatband and/or lining. If you limit yourself to a Whippet or Hanover Square be prepared to pay a premium price. Many more hats exist with these characteristics that don't include the model name. With that wider brim dimension you'd probably want to search for a hat from the 1940s to early 1950s.

What size are you looking for?

Thank you. My head measures about 22.25 and I tried a 7 1/8 hat and it’s too small. Sizing seems tricky

Sixmitchells

New in Town
I need help IDing a hat. Pretty sure its an Akubra Angler (not 100% sure) also what color is this? Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 2Q4A0131a.jpg
    2Q4A0131a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 2Q4A0157a.jpg
    2Q4A0157a.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 33

The Shoe

One Too Many
I need help IDing a hat. Pretty sure its an Akubra Angler (not 100% sure) also what color is this? Thank you in advance
It definitely appears to be an Angler. Akubra only has them in Loden on their homepage.
https://akubra.com.au/collections/lifestyle/products/angler-loden

The colour looks similar to my Acorn Fawn Stylemaster.
https://akubra.com.au/products/stylemaster-acorn-fawn?_pos=2&_sid=d7a3c640a&_ss=r

Hats By the Hundred offer it in Regency Fawn.
https://www.hatsbythe100.com.au/products/akubra-angler-made-to-order?_pos=2&_sid=d0764d6bb&_ss=r

It looks closer to Acorn Fawn from the photos, but i) it’s always difficult to get a true rendering of felt colours in photos, and ii) they do occasionally change the colours they make certain hats in.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Here's a new one on me. What is "reclaimed felt"?
Did the beaver want it back or what?

View attachment 584359 View attachment 584360

I've seen that in wool garments; it pretty much means "recycled". The original wool fabric is disassembled or shredded down to fiber again and respun and rewoven. The disadvantage is that most of the fibers are now much shorter than they originally were, with less loft.

I assume it may be about the same meaning for felted items as well? But I wouldn't swear on a Bible to that! ;)

Edward

Bartender
I'm not at the point of buying yet, but I've been looking out for some nice straws ahead of next Summer. My favourite is the Stratoliner (not at all easy to find here in the UK - most US hatters seem either not to ship here or charge an exorbitant amount for it - USPS has upped charges considerably recently. Oddly, Stetson.eu doesn't carry it at all, at least currently). I also like the look of the Kendrick in photos, but never seen one in the wild. Does anyone know if it's - as looks possible - basically the same hat as the hemp version of the Temple (with perhaps a fractionally narrower brim)?

milandro

A-List Customer
...Oddly, Stetson.eu doesn't carry it at all, at least currently)....
In a way that isn't odd because Stetson EU is virtually a different company than Stetson US! For the most parts their hats are made, under licence , in countries like The Czech Republic or China but NOT in the US, even when they are they are NOT the same as the models available. I am having pretty much the same problem buying a proper, fur felt, Open Road. The one available through Stetson EU (and that involves on line sales AND their physical shops) are just a pale resemblance of the real thing. Stetson EU has an agreement which prevents any other shops from importing from the US and maintain exclusive control in Europe , SO, the only way is to buy direct which, as you correctly have identified, involves extravagant shipping rates, VAT at the port of arrival in the UK (which will be charged including the shipping as part of the cost, ridiculous if you ask me) + a " handling through customs" fee charged independently from the postal service or courier, making this whole exercise a VERY expensive thing indeed.

Edward

Bartender
In a way that isn't odd because Stetson EU is virtually a different company than Stetson US! For the most parts their hats are made, under licence , in countries like The Czech Republic or China but NOT in the US, even when they are they are NOT the same as the models available. I am having pretty much the same problem buying a proper, fur felt, Open Road. The one available through Stetson EU (and that involves on line sales AND their physical shops) are just a pale resemblance of the real thing. Stetson EU has an agreement which prevents any other shops from importing from the US and maintain exclusive control in Europe , SO, the only way is to buy direct which, as you correctly have identified, involves extravagant shipping rates, VAT at the port of arrival in the UK (which will be charged including the shipping as part of the cost, ridiculous if you ask me) + a " handling through customs" fee charged independently from the postal service or courier, making this whole exercise a VERY expensive thing indeed.

It's a real pity. I don't much mind whether it's made in the US, China or wherever (I've seen a few on the EU site that are made in Italy, straws mainly), but yeah it's frustrating that they don't even try to carry one of the most well known models! I think I might just have to ty and work in a US holiday in the next year or two and take an empty case! Certainly quite a few things I could pick up over there vastly cheaper than they are in the UK - whether that's buying them here or shipping them in.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I think I might just have to ty and work in a US holiday in the next year or two and take an empty case! Certainly quite a few things I could pick up over there vastly cheaper than they are in the UK - whether that's buying them here or shipping them in.
My wife and I did that regularly Edward, we were amateur but enthusiastic, ballroom dancers. Going to The States we often competed in their dance competitions. Very early on we realised that it was favourable to pack just enough for a change of clothes. Despite that, the suitcases always made the return journey bulging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner