Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Lock & Co are probably the most famous hat company in the UK, after all, they have been around since 1676. What is it in a hat, from their London store, that puts it at a price of £800? That's well over a $1,000 US.
https://www.lockhatters.com/products/sloane-dark-brown-fedora I'm a believer in: "You pay your money, you take your choice," so I am not getting my arm twisted. My curiosity comes from the fact that most of my hats are custom made and can be expensive, but nowhere near eight hundred pounds.

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Brim repair for a 60s Borsalino ( guess; paper liner tag long gone)

Good evening.

I’ve looked through a few postings on FL but am unsure if

Attachments

• IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5109.jpeg
    IMG_5109.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5112.jpeg
    IMG_5112.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 33

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Am so sorry…the rest of my post disappeared..at least the photos are still there..

I’ve looked on several posts on FL but am unsure if anyone still does basic work on brims and hat cleanings. I know Art no longer does and Optimo, I believe is only refurbishing their own brand.

Appreciate anyone’s guidance and Tks for for your help.

Edward

Bartender
My wife and I did that regularly Edward, we were amateur but enthusiastic, ballroom dancers. Going to The States we often competed in their dance competitions. Very early on we realised that it was favourable to pack just enough for a change of clothes. Despite that, the suitcases always made the return journey bulging.

I'm definitely overdue a trip to the US; I've been to Vegas (2000), Boston (though only for about three days for work) in 2002, New York on holiday in 2004 and most recently DC in 2011, for a work conference but managed to fit in three days' sightseeing. Been meaning to get back since but between one thing and another (not last the pandemic, and finances), it's not happened. Mrs Marlowe has never been at all, so I'm hoping to get us to New York at least within the next few years. Chicago is also on my hitlist, and I'd *adore* to see Deadwood, South Dakota, old Hollywood, Route 66.... Time. Time and money! NYC is a good place to start, though. Ideally, fly there, a week or ten days in town, then take the slow route back on a cruise ship to relax (and go to dinner in nice new threads!). Theboat tends to be less restrictive about luggage weight too.... ;)

Lock & Co are probably the most famous hat company in the UK, after all, they have been around since 1676. What is it in a hat, from their London store, that puts it at a price of £800? That's well over a $1,000 US.
https://www.lockhatters.com/products/sloane-dark-brown-fedora I'm a believer in: "You pay your money, you take your choice," so I am not getting my arm twisted. My curiosity comes from the fact that most of my hats are custom made and can be expensive, but nowhere near eight hundred pounds.

I've no doubt a lot of it is to do with them making back their overheads - being in St James can't be cheap. Then there's paying for the Brand Experience. There's the (intangible) factor of them being so established.... and the only place you can buy a bowler from the folks who invented it... And, to be fair, their aftersales care is outstanding. A friend bought a used Lock's bowler on eBay and dropped in with it one day to ask them about it. Not only were they more than happy to give him some info about likely age and so on, but they also put it through the conformer for him then and there - and refused to accept a single penny for it. And that on a hat about which he was perfectly open with them he was not the original purchaser.

There's no way I could today justify spending on a hat the sort of money they command, but if the big lottery win ever came in, I suspect I'd buy just the one, for the experience. I imagine most of their clientele are the sort of folks who have never needed to ask the price. I mean, a wool beany *starts* at £145, rising to £275 at the top end.... Against that, the price of their beaver felt fedoras starts to look great value!

Edward

Bartender
Question on the Stetson Kendrick (brown hemp). Does anyone have one? I'm curious as to what it looks like head on, and whether it bears any resemblance to the Stetson Temple in shape. The temple used to be available in a milano weave hemp, but doesn't appear to be any longer.

I'm definitely overdue a trip to the US; I've been to Vegas (2000), Boston (though only for about three days for work) in 2002, New York on holiday in 2004 and most recently DC in 2011, for a work conference but managed to fit in three days' sightseeing. Been meaning to get back since but between one thing and another (not last the pandemic, and finances), it's not happened. Mrs Marlowe has never been at all, so I'm hoping to get us to New York at least within the next few years. Chicago is also on my hitlist, and I'd *adore* to see Deadwood, South Dakota, old Hollywood, Route 66.... Time. Time and money! NYC is a good place to start, though. Ideally, fly there, a week or ten days in town, then take the slow route back on a cruise ship to relax (and go to dinner in nice new threads!). Theboat tends to be less restrictive about luggage weight too.... ;)

I've no doubt a lot of it is to do with them making back their overheads - being in St James can't be cheap. Then there's paying for the Brand Experience. There's the (intangible) factor of them being so established.... and the only place you can buy a bowler from the folks who invented it... And, to be fair, their aftersales care is outstanding. A friend bought a used Lock's bowler on eBay and dropped in with it one day to ask them about it. Not only were they more than happy to give him some info about likely age and so on, but they also put it through the conformer for him then and there - and refused to accept a single penny for it. And that on a hat about which he was perfectly open with them he was not the original purchaser.

There's no way I could today justify spending on a hat the sort of money they command, but if the big lottery win ever came in, I suspect I'd buy just the one, for the experience. I imagine most of their clientele are the sort of folks who have never needed to ask the price. I mean, a wool beany *starts* at £145, rising to £275 at the top end.... Against that, the price of their beaver felt fedoras starts to look great value!
2014 to end of 2019 we toured the western USA covering all states save for Kansas and Nebraska (tornadoes dissuaded us). The US west is magnificent and words cannot describe accurately the beauty and wonder. That so much wide open space still exists in America is a true wonder. I think that (at the risk of ruining the place) everyone should visit the west at some point......to miss it is missing something spectacular.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Going to pick the collective the brain here, if I may. One of my oldest Cowboy Action Shooting hats has no headband, and never did. It was "as-is" when I bought it from a vendor at a match about 20 years ago. What it does have, on its very faded lining, is an image of a cowboy SIMILAR to the Resistol cowboy, except that instead of holding his hat to his head, his non-reins hand is waving his hat in the air. Does that ring the slightest bells with anyone?

Going to pick the collective the brain here, if I may. One of my oldest Cowboy Action Shooting hats has no headband, and never did. It was "as-is" when I bought it from a vendor at a match about 20 years ago. What it does have, on its very faded lining, is an image of a cowboy SIMILAR to the Resistol cowboy, except that instead of holding his hat to his head, his non-reins hand is waving his hat in the air. Does that ring the slightest bells with anyone?

Any chance you could add a photo of the liner?

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Mind if I jump in with a question or two?
I'm needing to replace the wind trolly on my Borsolino. I'm having a hard time finding one. Any good retailers y'all could point me to?

Dotneck

One of the Regulars
Hi y’all. Do any of yall know where to get a pugaree? I’m looking for something colorful maybe in a pattern you might see in the fifties. I’ve seen some in Google searches but nothing strikes my fancy. I wouldn’t think they’re hard to make from the right fabric.

I’ve got an old black Stetson Panama I want to restore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR