Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bruce got the juice - Bruce Willis' Jacket

dr greg

One Too Many
not too distressed

Can I just say that I've been wearing and collecting vintage leather jackets for 40+ years, and I've NEVER NEVER EVER seen any type shape or form of faked or pre-distressed jacket that looked remotely 'right' and I've seen such things going new for thousands at times, so I remain to be convinced that the main hero jacket above is a new leather jacket altered to look old, I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, but no convincing evidence that it can has been presented in this thread so far,..now it would make sense that if a commercial entity made that jacket, then more are available, yet I see none on the site, and I've tried to find a picture of one that ain't on Bruce. Even if that one was custom, I feel that if repro's of that look were attainable, they would sell like the proverbial, but unless there's some other way to appraise them that I don't know of...then they're still in the oven so to speak!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That doesn't really follow at all-

Here's a different but similar jacket, Californian, by California Sportswear,
of similar vintage to the one being disgusted:

front_view11.jpg

front_view21.jpg

front_view31.jpg

Wear and patination in a leather jacket is a unique and wonderful phenomenon.

I'm thinking the film jacket is Californian Sportswear.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I thought it looked familiar- I used to own one.

It's not all my work, a colleague sent me some the pics
I used, above.

I think some folks may have been under the impression that the
movie jacket was a unique design by Mr. Nowak.
Now we can see what it is.

B
T

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My understanding was that the jacket was Nowak's take on a half-belt. I certainly wasn't of the impression that he has created something unique. I have spoken to Chapman about his terrific Californian and I think the pattern he uses is the best I've seen.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
By the way BT excellent work on finding a more or less identical jacket. :eusa_clap I'd love someone to put it to Nowak to see what the official response would be.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many

I think it looks like his own personal jacket.
Look at how it sits on him and how the wear is more heavy on the right
part because its sticking out

The jacket folds the same on both pictures and he uses different clothes
under the jacket so its apparant that the jacket folds like that on him.

There is also more wear on the fold wich is natural.

Offcourse it could be siting the same on someone else, that the jacket
has developed this over time so hard that it will do the same on another person.
This should hovewer be a "proof" that the jacket isnt sewn together
of old bits and pieces.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure it's his own jacket now.
And it would seem, the jacket is older than the man.
I think that strong crease is the jacket's, rather than his.

Although, I guess it would be very interesting to see pics of BW
wearing this jacket before the film was made... considering this thread.
A lot of years of wear there.

B
T

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
dr greg said:
Having started this, I should weigh in again, it looks to me like
A: Bruce has got an original old jacket,
B: this other guy probably whipped up a few copies that would pass muster on stand-ins and stuntmen but not in CLOSE UP, so he can claim to have made 'the surrogate jacket' as a slightly exaggerated but common sales technique,
C: the possibility exists that the HERO jacket as they say, was made to order by the maker FROM VINTAGE LEATHER, which would explain it's undeniable authentic patina.
That should cover all angles...what I want to know is..because it's not readily apparent to me from his website...what does one cost?
It might make far more sense to look for the "real thing" on the bay, they do turn up....

On the band wagon with you. I remember reading how many identical Brioni suits, that Pierce Brosnon went through, on Golden Eye.

The wardrobe people probably found a vintage jacket that Willis liked, and then they had copies made for any wardrobe malfunctions that may crop up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic