Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capes/Cloaks

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
FDR was quite ill by that time. It's rather astonishing to learn the extent of his illness well before the elections of 1944. Roosevelt had advanced heart disease, about which they could do little at the time but keep an eye on him. No one within his immediate circle expected him to live through 1945, and few who saw him believed he was at all healthy or vigorous.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Your obervations mirror some of Churchill's comments. Churchill found his mind to be cloudy and slow at the time and his logic far from spot on. Perhaps it was an omen of things to come. Perhaps he should have sent someone else in his stead. [huh]

Indded. There is a whole story on leaders making decisions that are crucial to international security whilst in thr throws od a serious illness...JFK and his Addison's Disease comes to mind....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
cookie said:
Indded. There is a whole story on leaders making decisions that are crucial to international security whilst in thr throws od a serious illness...JFK and his Addison's Disease comes to mind....

Queen Elizabeth the First had a terrible toothache as the Spanish Armada was sailing toward England; and Napoleon suffered terribly (in a urinary way) during key moments of Waterloo.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
FDR's cloak

Hey

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a cloak similar to the one Pres. Roosevelt wore to the Yalta Conference?
If not a cape or cloak similar to Roosevelt's, any sort of dress cape or cloak (preferably new produced, not vintage) will do.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Navy boatcloak?
09-900.jpg

Sold here:
http://www.marineshop.com/boatcloak.aspx
Picture's from Marlow White, but I can't find it for sale. [huh]

Bingles

A-List Customer
I owned an old clerical cloak which was very similar to the navy style one Roosevelt wore. I LOVED it.. but ended up selling. Sadly, when was I ever going to wear it???? I wish capes for men came back into fashion. We don't get many dramatic accessories to wear.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
When I...

...was a cadet, and we'd parade in full dress, the Army officers would wear dress blue. The three star in charge would wear a dress cape on the cold days. The comments in ranks were brutal.

Many of those old styles worked better in the eras they were designed for. I think a cape would be in the way constantly in a modern world.

Can't beat the look though.

Edward

Bartender
scotrace said:

I love this photo. Three world leaders, three very different cultures with three very different experiences of the war.... in many ways about as different as three men could get. But look at them - look at how they're interrelating. Whether they liked each other or not, it seems to me that there's a genuine connection there, that they saw each other as individual human beings, "warts and all" as Cromwell would have said, and not some faceless opponent. I find that really interesting.

I'm keeping half an eye out for a deal on a claok to wear with white tie. Incidently, my ministers at church all have them for wearing over their cassocks in cold weather - lovely, heavy, plain black wool, though theirs have the "slots" so they can get their hands out through them without opening the cloak. nice alternative to the military designs.

Tony C

New in Town
still looking for naval pea-cape

It's been a coupla years now, still no closer to finding navy cape. If anybody can help, here are the specs: it's navy blue (duh!), wool, with red wool lining, has collar and anchor-logo buttons on front, about knee-length, with slash through-pocket on each side. Has all the characteristics of a pea-jacket, but it is a cape, you see. I had one in SF back in '71 but have not seen another since! Help! -Tony C;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've been known to at the renaissance faire!

WIZARD.JPG

Also, I had a couple of custom-made black opera capes back in my teenage magician period. Of course, that was (geez!) 40 years ago!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a modern re-enactor wearing a Roman paenula, the standard hooded cloak worn by Roman soldiers, and many civilians too. It was big to fit over everything and had a few loop-and-toggles on the front to partially close it.

235830598.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Nurses of course often wore short capes and I have some photos of good examples which I'll post but here's some old photos. If anyone has more photos along these lines, I'd like to see them.

11226f738b054f3826aaa94b544b948e.jpg OIP.g-EvP5eSXCqRa5rp-78M3wHaJ6.jpg R.0c8cc1c43c93db0bba6e6d7bf0117d99.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko