Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capes/Cloaks

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
FDR's Cape

This is exactly the sort of cape that Franklin Delano Roosevelt wore at the Yalta conference. He wore it there with a grey flannel D/B suit underneath it. Looked incredibly good. This particular one was made two years before the Yalta Conference.

I am shocked that it went for such a low price on eBay. Did anyone here win it?

The auction was here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Vintage...421370658QQcategoryZ52385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

may17l.jpg

And here are photos of FDR at Yalta. (Thanks, Scotrace!) Note his cape:

fdraty45.gif

a_c_roosevelt-stalin-yalta.jpg
Yalta_Conference.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Heartbreaker

Oh no... that makes me ill. I would have bid to the death for that cape.

The pictures of FDR at Yalta have always held a big fascination for me because of that cape! He looks really great in it and I thought it took some courage to wear it. Few men could have pulled it off - he made it look dramatic. It adds to his legend, I think.

Probably, it was chosen to help disguise his wasting frame, as his health was failing rapidly.

Thanks once again Marc. Who would EVER think that such a thing would turn up? Not even on my radar. I would have eaten toast for six months to buy that cape.

fdraty45.gif

09068.jpg

a_c_roosevelt-stalin-yalta.jpg

stalin5.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
And yes, vintage ones pop up on eBay, but they usually go for much more money. This one went cheap, and its velvet collar is in unusually good condition.

A few years back, the J. Peterman catalog sold reproductions of it for more than $500.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Whoaa!

Should have sold for big bucks then! Army officers could also wear a cape with their evening dress uniforms if they wished.
I have never seen one of those offered for sale anywhere either.
People just overlook rare items at times, not realizing what they are. [huh]
But where was I when this was on the block?! :eusa_doh:

Tony C

New in Town
FDR cape

to Marc, et al: That cape FDR wore at Yalta can still be purchased new from the maker: goes for about $399 I think; you can find it in a google search. I am looking for a US Navy cape, navy blue wool with peacoat buttons (etched anchor motif) on the front, knee length with bright red wool lining, slash pockets and hand-through slits, peacoat-type standup collar. I had one when I lived in SF, 1970, but cannot find one now. Any leads? Please advise! -Tony C

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh blast!

I can't believe I didn't see that. Are we all just blind?

Or was this some secret auction to throw us all off?

Because I could have sworn I'd recently checked vintage on the bay...

Will

One of the Regulars
Tony C said:
to Marc, et al: That cape FDR wore at Yalta can still be purchased new from the maker: goes for about $399 I think; you can find it in a google search.

I don't find anything on Google. Can you add any more information?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Undertow said:
Oh blast!

I can't believe I didn't see that. Are we all just blind?

Or was this some secret auction to throw us all off?

Because I could have sworn I'd recently checked vintage on the bay...

well- it was exactly a year ago that the first post of this thread was made.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
FDR's cape

I cannot believe it! Tonight I just happened to catch a bio on a channel I never watch and there is the history of Winnie in WWII by his ex-bodyguard and there is FDR at Yalta with close ups of the cape! My wife commented on the fancy lanyard closure.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
What's in a name?

It is still in the Navy uniform inventory as an optional item for officers. It's actually called a Boat Cloak and is only available in made to measure as are our Bridge Coats. I haven't made the investment yet. The bridge coat goes for $385, so I don't even want to think about the cloak.

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
Being the new guy here I love this classic cape while walking in Oxford UK I saw someone wearing a cape it looked very smart.

I am tempted to look for one to wear to work.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had one just like that a few years ago. I sold mine on eBay too! I'll have to look around to see if I still have any pictures of it. I posted a picture of FDR on my listing to show how much it resembled his. Somebody snatched it up right away.

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner