Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing a Look

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry if there are any similar threads to this one, if so feel free to merge.

I started thinking about this as I posted the thread about the beautiful sky blue swing dress. I love it, but my husband really doesn't. He said if I wear it he fully expects me to bake him a pie lol And while lately I'm finding myself attracted to very light and innocent clothes, my personality is somewhat... not. So it got me thinking, what if you have an outfit or article of clothing, and your mood makes you just want to tweak it a bit? What are your tips for making a very "sweet" dress more "femme fatale", and vice versa, or dressing down a formal dress, or dressing up a casual outfit? Or making modern clothes look more vintage, vintage more modern, etc?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Ooooh, this is one of my favorite things to chat about ;) I find that, if there's something that's not quite right with an outfit, a little accessorizing works wonders. What about pairing your sky blue swing dress with vampy red heels and a red lace slip? If it's your thing, add a red bra or cami and let it peek, or a snug red bolero. Do your hair and makeup a bit on the showy side - now you're not a blushing virgin anymore ;) For dressing down something formal, what about adding a plain cardigan and flats or keds? I found some hair flowers recently that really grabbed me - feminine colors, both bright and soft, with Day of the Dead skull buttons in their centers - definitely a bit unexpected! I guess that's what I really like, the unexpected. Would love to hear from others about their takes, too!

Tatum

Practically Family
Gracie, I hoped you'd reply to this, and glad you did! ;)

Penny, I have the same problem. Here's what I found helps. Challenge yourself. Be open to trying new styles/colors/whatever. Once you step out of your comfort zone a little, it gets easier each time. Having a friend to encourage you really helps as well, I hate shopping by myself now, I love when I have a good, honest friend to keep me in check and challenge me to try something new. All of a sudden, I am wearing colors, where I used to only wear a lot of black and white, mostly black. Today I still had on black espadrilles with a black handbag, but otherwise a red on white polka dot dress with a red cardigan and a black bee pin.

By the way, I love the dress in question, and maybe the whole pie comment was because he thinks it's sexy! ;)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I guess I'm the polar opposite: I've always loved the innocent, dreamy dresses and aesthetics of the 1910s, 1920s, and 1950s. It was only this winter that I bought my first black dress, and now I have four, all from the 1930s and 40s... much more art deco and femme fatale (respectively) than I've ever gone before. While my heart is still true to antique lace and pastel colors, it's fun to experiment. Tatum said it so well; think of it as a challenge, and jump right in!

I loooove that blue dress you're thinking about. Frankly, I think it would be tricky to make femme fatale-ish; it's so fairytale looking! But I think a sleek, chic, minimalistic Grace Kelly sort of look would suit it nicely without veering into little girl/prom territory (definitely a hazard with those 50s full skirted gowns ;) ). Simple accessories, if any, keeping the emphasis on the dress, and perhaps setting it off with bold Dovima-style hair and makeup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy