Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some cold weather would be nice, it’s rained for days in the UK and ‘soggy’ would describe the going underfoot alongside ‘muddy’.

SilverKast

New in Town
Wow - wasn't Calgary just breaking heatwave records six months ago with temps hitting 96°F/36°C?

We've gone from +35c to -35c, although we could get a chinook at any time during the winter and it will go to +10 literally the next day (and then back again).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The good thing about western and north-central Canada getting this extended period of extreme cold is it will kill all those beetles and whatnot which have been slowly devastating pine forests.

Yep it's cold here - definitely parka weather. Biggest problem is car batteries being dead in the morning, along with pipes freezing and all that sort of fun stuff. It's manageable if you dress for it, we're all going out tonight to an outdoor light show at the zoo :D
I forgot the year 2011 or 2012? I was in Calgary for work the week that Calgary was the coldest spot on earth at minus35 with the wind chill it dropped well below 40. I thought the hood on my parka would snap in two as it was frozen stiff.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It was cold for Vancouver standard earlier this week, -10s. It has warmed up a lot today.
IMG_8544.JPEG

I don't know how it works given the lower latitudes and longitudes, but parts of southern Alberta and northern BC always have more extreme weather than in the any other parts of Canada. I try to avoid travelling to Calgary in the winter months. When it gets cold, it gets really cold, fast.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I hope all of our members in the US are getting ready for Friday's big whatever-the-fkk weather system/storm. I saw something about -70F wind chill in Montana... oy vey. And someplace else a drop of 40 degrees F over the course of the day. Oddly enough, predictions for us here in SoOnt are a drop of a few degrees and a bunch of rain then snow. Potentially nasty, but nothing like what's being predicted for large swathes of the US.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Further to that post of mine... We got a blast of snow in November which melted in 24 hours and nothing since, with freakishly warm temperatures for this area for this time of the year. However, that appears to be changing this week...

456t45.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Arctic outflow they say. Vancouver felt like a meat freezer last night. Things are warming up just as fast as it cooled down. Not as much snow this time though, just cold. Back to rain next week I think.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Arctic outflow they say. Vancouver felt like a meat freezer last night. Things are warming up just as fast as it cooled down. Not as much snow this time though, just cold. Back to rain next week I think.
That's gotta be unpleasant for Van residents who aren't used to serious cold. Prairie people, and norther Quebecers, on the other hand...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Environment Canada website, today: Flurries or local snow squalls. Local blowing snow. Local amount 5 to 10 cm.
Me, looking out window, today: "Oh look, it's sunny and clear."

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We are at last getting some cold weather in the UK with artic winds. Minus 5 coming up which is chilly for us. Have actually got to wear the N-3B I purchased in the summer.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Those are insane numbers. I haven't experienced anything colder than -30C wind chill, and around -23C actual temperature. On the positive side, a couple weeks of those temperatures should kill the pine beetles which have been devastating forests in the Canadian west. Invasive species don't like serious cold!!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I am always hesitant to go to Alberta in the winter months. It’s not the snow or ice, but how fast the temperature drops there. Going out to dinner feeling good, and after coming out of the restaurant it’s like day after tomorrow, and the wind would peel a layer off my face. The interior has some very harsh winters for sure. I’m staying on the coast.

Nacho

Practically Family
I am always hesitant to go to Alberta in the winter months. It’s not the snow or ice, but how fast the temperature drops there. Going out to dinner feeling good, and after coming out of the restaurant it’s like day after tomorrow, and the wind would peel a layer off my face. The interior has some very harsh winters for sure. I’m staying on the coast.

Last Friday was brutal. I can’t deal with -14C. My hands froze. My balls shrank. And I don’t like that lol.

The temp picked up today, eh? But they said it’s gonna snow next week. I hope they start salting the streets now. Feel like the COV didn’t learn from what happened last year.

One bit of snow and the whole city goes haywire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner