Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Sometime last night it started snowing and in less than 12 hours we got about 5 inches of really heavy, wet snow. No chance of getting out of the driveway today, although about 15 minutes drive away they got almost nothing. Here's some pics taken first thing this morning. It will all melt tomorrow. Hopefully that's the last of it!

HPIM2800_-_Copy.jpg

HPIM2801_-_Copy.jpg

I just realized I forgot winter is supposed to look like that...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After losing our power (and air-conditioning) last week during the storm, and having to either sit in a sweltering house or sit outside and get eaten alive by mosquitoes (and every other kind of bug in creation), I'll never complain about the cold again. I'd like to get myself a Viking helmet, move to Iceland, find myself a rock somewhere, and sit there forever.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
After losing our power (and air-conditioning) last week during the storm, and having to either sit in a sweltering house or sit outside and get eaten alive by mosquitoes (and every other kind of bug in creation), I'll never complain about the cold again. I'd like to get myself a Viking helmet, move to Iceland, find myself a rock somewhere, and sit there forever.
Good thing you didn't lose the house completely.

Lots of empty space up north in the Rust Belt, or in southern Canuckistan. We even get high 80s F in the summer with 100% humidity, so you can sort of feel like being back in Florida. Good jacket weather for a full 6 months of the year.

OK, I officially no longer hate you guys/gals for posting jacket pics. It's getting cool enough now for a nighttime or early AM jacket. Commence!

Hal

Practically Family
Your part of the world has really been clobbered, and it's good that you have come through it well.
I agree that cold is easier to cope with than high humid heat, but there are, I'm afraid, millions of midges, gnats and mosquitoes living well to the north of you in all continents, and I'm sure Doctor Damage knows this about Canada!

-9F/14F in Chicago. No signs of getting above freezing for the next ten days. Frantically searching for a cheap sheepskin, if such a thing exists...

powersci

One of the Regulars

My dog isn't putting up with this weather. He won't go on walks; he'll only go in the backyard. Looking forward to next weekend when we're back in the 20s. And the new D-1 arrives by 1/4. I'll let you know how it fits.

-9F/14F in Chicago. No signs of getting above freezing for the next ten days. Frantically searching for a cheap sheepskin, if such a thing exists...

Good luck with that! There are a few at the Rosemont outlet, but even with the discounts, they're thin for what you get and the craftsmanship is kinda spotty. I picked up a cheap B-3 style jacket for $400 there last year and returned it that same week. Pales in comparison to Aero and even Cockpit or Schott.

Stay warm!

My dog isn't putting up with this weather. He won't go on walks; he'll only go in the backyard. Looking forward to next weekend when we're back in the 20s. And the new D-1 arrives by 1/4. I'll let you know how it fits.

Good luck with that! There are a few at the Rosemont outlet, but even with the discounts, they're thin for what you get and the craftsmanship is kinda spotty. I picked up a cheap B-3 style jacket for $400 there last year and returned it that same week. Pales in comparison to Aero and even Cockpit or Schott.

Stay warm!
I'm thinking about one of these ala @Worf
I won't look as good in it as he does but ******** it. It's painfully cold
IMG_7465.JPG

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
It was -24 degrees F when I left northwestern Mn yesterday. But the coldest I've been in was many years ago in northern Wisconsin when it got to -55 F. Now that was cold.

Michael

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
It was -24 degrees F when I left northwestern Mn yesterday. But the coldest I've been in was many years ago in northern Wisconsin when it got to -55 F. Now that was cold.

Michael
-55F is ouch, I've never seen it that cold (which is fine with me). I remember my dad talking about his early days out of college when he had a job with a mining company in Thompson, Manitoba, and it would regularly get that low. I'll add my usual reminder: -40 is where the F and C scales match!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking about one of these ala @Worf
I won't look as good in it as he does but ******** it. It's painfully cold
View attachment 100316
Hey they can be had CHEAP and they're hella warm. But today it was -12 with Wind Chill and never got above 9 degrees Fahrenheit so I went with some heavier gear.
image1%201_zpsbt6zs3kf.jpeg

Good Wear ANJ-4 I had made last year. I barely survived. Shoveled a little bit this evening and thought I was back with the 2nd Inf. Div. at Camp Castle Korea... or worse yet up with B Co. 2nd Engineers on the Imjin River. My Lord it's cold out there today/tonight!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner