Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coral Pink Lipstick, anyone?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
So I'm kinda getting sick of plain old red lipstick everyday! I've been wearing it since 9th grade, so maybe it's time to switch it up a bit.

Today I decided to wear some Besame Red Berry Lip Glaze from a sample I had and I really loved the color, but not the sheer, stickiness of it.

On me it was a kind of coral pink, so now I'm on the hunt for a lipstick version of it, preferably matte. Basically, the color I'm after is sort of like Marilyn's towel:

photo03.jpg

Any suggestions? What are your favorite pink lipsticks, ladies?

Also, out of curiosities sake, was coral lipstick a shade worn in the 40's at all?

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I like NARS Casablanca which they describe as a 'Classic Coral'. I wear it a lot as an everyday lipstick.
I don't think it's what you looking for though, since it's more apricot-y than pink, at least on me. There's also NARS Niagara, they describe that one as a 'Pinkish Coral' so it might be more along the lines of what you're after, but I haven't seen the shade in real life so I can't really tell.
That pinkish shade of Marilyn's towel is beautiful, I wish I could wear something like that on my lips but pink shades just look strange on me.
Hope that helps!

Edit: here's a pic of the Niagara shade! looks very cute
e87e_1_b.JPG

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, I've had the best look taking something into a MAC store and telling them I want lipstick in that color. They've never gone wrong giving me the right shade!

Blondie

Practically Family
Yes, take the book with the pic in it and go to MAC,
they have soo many colours that I'm sure you would be able to find something close if not the same !
I can't wear coral, always goes orange on me,
Also if you find the right shade BUT not matte, Make Up Forever makes a lipstick mattifier that is really good ( at Sephora )

anabolina

A-List Customer
I was thinking about this just last Saturday and went to the MAC counter. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything coral in a matte formula and I own too many lipsticks to buy another one I didn't love, although they had some great corals in other formulations. So anyway, I'm also on the lookout for a good, matte coral lipstick, I wish us luck :D

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I'm pretty sure that I've seen coral pink 40's ads before.

You can try Besame's Camine. It is a orange red shade, that looks pink on some people.

For a really bright coral that is close to Marilyn's towel try Revlon, I think the color is Persian Melon (or next to it on the rack). I get the idea that particular color is late 50's, or at least typical of that era. However, it is a really fun color to try out, and vintage if not exactly 1940's.

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
I can't wear coral pink because of my skin tone :(

I always get excited when I see someone with coral pink lippy because you're right, it's nice to have a change from red sometimes!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips ladies! I'm not really sure how nice coral pink will actually look on me, but we'll see! I just want something a little more summery than red.

Shrinking Violet, that NARS lipstick looks beautiful! I love the color.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
You might want to try La Femme. They have a great selection of colors, they are highly pigmented so they wear well and best of all, they are cheap:D I think Sally's carrys the line, I bought mine here http://www.adiscountbeauty.com//page152.html. Some of the colors are similar to Besame. I especially like the Tangerine shade which more coral than orange, and the Bittersweet which I think is similar to Besame's Carmine (which I love) . Their brow liners and shadows are great too!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Well I found the color! It's "Eager" by MAC. It's not matte, but one of their "lustre" shades. I figure I could tap a little loose powder onto it to make it more matte if I want to though. It's pretty close to the color of the towel, I'm pretty happy!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
Well I found the color! It's "Eager" by MAC. It's not matte, but one of their "lustre" shades. I figure I could tap a little loose powder onto it to make it more matte if I want to though. It's pretty close to the color of the towel, I'm pretty happy!

Oh nuts... I missed you by a day!

I was gonna tell you that you sooooo inspired me to get a coral. After I read your post I was thinking it was FOREVER since I had a coral lippy.

I got MAC Jest. Its a Lustre shade that is "Pink Glazed With Golden Coral". I looked up Eager. It is also a Lustre but it says "Blushed coral".

Both are stunning and I love the Lustre styes.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Matte, true matte is almost impossible to find these days. Most lipsticks have at least some moist shine to them. Good luck finding one!

If you decide a little bit of moist shine or even a tiny iridescence is okay, I strongly urge you to look at Chanel's colours. They have so many pretty coral colors it makes me wish I could wear them!!!

MAC lipstick is very good as well!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:

Too funny... so hubby and I are finishing the kitchen updates. I had a decorator lady come in to "do the colors" when we moved in. She helped to pick the colors for the rooms so they would all flow. Like if I said I wanted a green color she would help me pick from the hundreds of green and then coordinate them to the next room. Well we moved in 2 years ago and I hadn't seen the colors in a while cuz the kitchen is the 2nd to last room to update. Well..... last night we finally got the wall paper pulled off and ready to prime. Hubby opens the paint color for the room and does a test spot.

And its the exact coral that P-toe was looking for. I told hubby and he's like ... great... our kitchen is the perfect shade of lipstick. Hahahahahaaa... poor hubby.
:eusa_clap

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Ooh I bet your room looks lovely Princess! :)

Okay, so here's the picture:

coral.jpg

It's actually MUCH brighter and more vibrant in real life. I don't know why this photo is so washed out. But you get the idea, I guess. I think it works well when I am wearing lighter colors and don't feel like being quite so RED RED RED all the time with my lips! :)

PS. The shirt is on sale at Banana Republic! Run and get one for yourselves, it's super cute and cheap!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Polka Dot said:
I just can't stomach spending $20+ on a tube of lipstick. :eek:

How about some drugstore alternatives?

MAC is about $14, which is still expensive. However, some drugstore brands I've seen go for $9, which isn't that great a difference from $14 anyway! I don't know any good drugstore brands in specific, but my old "perfect red" was by Loreal, so maybe they make some good pinks too!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Some of the Revlon tubes out there are 12, the same with some Loreal tubes, I think. I was surprised the other day. Of course, I could have been in a store that is more expensive all the way around. I didn't realize that MAC was so reasonable!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Oh MAC is totally reasonable. They last so long!

Ohhh.... and do yall know about the buy-back thing? You turn in 6 pieces/containers and you get a free lipstick or eye shadow. Its their recycling program for packaging (check the site for details). Thats how I got my new lippy. I always keep a ziplock baggie in the back of my makeup drawer. Everytime I run out of a MAC product, or clean out the drawer for really old stuff, I bag it. Then when I get 6 I go shopping!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Polka Dot, Walgreens is running a special on Revlon this week. Buy one, get one free on lipsticks, no coupon needed. There are several Walgreens in Philadelphia. Some coral colors are Colorstay Soft & Smooth Creamy Coral, Super Lustrous Kiss Me Coral, and Moon Drops Hot Coral. I have found that they lower their prices for the BOGO sale, so it comes out less than half price, how can you beat it especially if you have manufacturer's coupons. To get a matte look, I simply blot it with a piece of Scott toilet paper. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner