do you have a vintage partner? Show us your mate

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by reetpleat, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tempestbella42

tempestbella42 One of the Regulars

:eek:fftopic: Its gotta be down to them....once you show them the basics of where/how you need /wanna be for the music!
    He can easily lead others but as i was used to being in control while showing him we just never got past me leading him...!
    And I NEED a man to take the lead from me at times...
    Thats actually just summed up our whole relationship better than ive ever managed too before......

2. *Schatzi*

*Schatzi* Familiar Face

I find that once they have the basics if you show them how to lead. Like you show them how when they spin you they can use their one hand to guide you to spin in a certain direction or how a gentle tug of the arm will bring you back in. Also, that their hand placement on your back makes it easier for him to guide you in the direction you want. They have to be confidant in their dancing too. Just tell them that you are not judging them but you love a man that leads and let him go to it. Hopefully, he will get it.

3. Elaina

Elaina One Too Many

Ah this is for my son, too. Thanks for the advice.

4. *Schatzi*

*Schatzi* Familiar Face

Aww! That's so great! Just tell him a little confidence goes a long way.

5. epr25

epr25 Practically Family

I know everyone has seen these. But here they are again. We really need some new shots!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

Me and my military man in his DU. Isn't he cute? :D

7. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

Wow, what a great picture! You're a very attractive couple!

BTW, that lamp in the hotel shot is hilarious. "That is... The ugliest lamp... I have ever seen... In my ENTIRE LIFE!" lol

8. reetpleat

reetpleat Call Me a Cab

I blame a lot of the teaching which tells leaders that leading is a suggestion, or some such crap, and never teach real physical connection and physically leading. Leading isn't a concept. it is physical way of moving.

9. Matthew Verge

Matthew Verge New in Town

[​IMG]

This is about as vintage as my wife gets! She did her hair up to surprise me one day. What a gal.

10. Kitty_Sheridan

Kitty_Sheridan Practically Family

Been with my partner for 6 years now...We do WW1 and WW2 Living history. I think we're both drifting more into the vintage lifestyle though...he keeps his hair in the style at work and recently grew a 'tache for WW1 Officer, but I kinda like it!!!
    He keeps asking me to marry him and I keep saying 'I'll think about it...'

I don't think I should put it off much longer! hahah
    [​IMG]

11. Marcus

Marcus A-List Customer

12. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Wouldn't even dare to call the colour of her hair "vintage" - but here she is.
    The love of my life.

[​IMG]

13. chanteuseCarey

chanteuseCarey Call Me a Cab

I think that men are basically afraid to be a strong lead, as the women will find them too "rough" or "controlling" or as reetpleat said here, some such cr**. I need and PREFER a strong lead to be able to "get it" and then I KNOW where to go to with my partner on the floor. When I dance in lessons or at a dance with other gents than my husband or son or men other than those I know and have danced with already, I'll tell the guys that. The lady should be able to take the lesson, learn her part and then forget it all during the dance because she simply follows the lead! With men I talk with at dancing, they often complain that the lady has no frame and they cannot lead her, its like trying to drag a woman around the floor. I tell them that those ladies without a good frame are LAZY dancers, and that the guy should dance with a different gal! A good frame (in social ballroom partner dancing) is KEY! (okay off my soapbox...:)) The first thing I ever said to my now husband when we met in a dance lesson way back in Dec. '91 was, "Thank God, a man who can lead."

14. chanteuseCarey

I wouldn't have asked, JMO. Based on where you are out dancing of course being taken into consideration, a lady should assume and expect that the man will be leading. Most places and dance lessons start with that as a given, pretty much. Why would he not? As said by Scott's ex-partner in the film Strictly Ballroom, "Where the man leads, the woman must follow. I had no choice!"

15. chanteuseCarey

Marry him. 'nuff said girlfriend.

16. Elaina

Elaina One Too Many

I don't lead, I was taught by my father to dance, who did. Now, his back's broken and he's unable physically to teach my son, and his father won't dance, which is where the question came up from.

I don't teach leading as a suggestion, he's a guy and I teach he's to DO it.

It was merely trying to find a suggestion on how to achieve this with a kid, that's all.

17. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

No she's not vintage, but she's great.

However, once or twice a year she'll humor me and dress vintage inspired.

[​IMG]

18. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Chasseur - you are a very, very lucky man!:D

19. Lady Jessica

Lady Jessica One of the Regulars

Good point. I guess from now on I will follow your advice and just assume he'll lead me!

20. Trickeration

Trickeration Practically Family

My husband and I met 23 years ago, and have been married 19 years. He wasn't vintage at first, but got hooked on the music about 10 years ago. When he saw the upright bass, it was love. My kids are also vintage, but for my son it's more of an occasional thing. Chris is 15 and Kat is 18.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]