Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experiences with Aero´s oil pull horsehide

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi gents,

I´m thinking about ordering a jacket from Aero in their oil pull hh. Most of my jacket are in fqhh and I would like to have something different.

For my uncertainty I read that the oil pull is sensetive and will fade to things like carseats or other things getting in contact.

I can not believe this, so please tell me your experineces.

So long

Olli

...It is true...especially when damp or wet. Also oil pull has the tendacy to be somewhat suedy rather than an allover smooth finish...enough to pick up lint. My brown oilpull HalfBelt had a nice worn finish from the beginning...but there is a downside to this hide..in my view. I tend to wear it only occasionally for these reasons.
HD

Cooperson

One Too Many
I would send for a sample and have look at it first. The sample I received seem to change color when creased, leaving light crease lines in hide - for this reason I decided against it.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have a Highwayman in mid-weight oil pull horsehide. I really like the looks of the leather. The main issue I have noted thus far is that it seems to scratch and scuff pretty easily. I guess on the plus side that helps it to gain patina more quickly. Mine does not have a suede texture at this point. The leather is not particularly supple and has required some break-in. Overall, I'm very pleased with it. I've had it since Christmas.

Mike

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I have not stained anything with my OilPulled A2. At first I was uncertain if I liked this type of leather, but after a year of allmost continuous wear I think it was a very good choice.. It was my first leather jacket ever, and I have no regrets..

The leather gets scuffed easily, this could be considered a downside.. but if you want a nice, broken-in, 'vintage'-look in a new jacket fast, I think you can't miss with Aero Oilpulled HH..

JanSolo

Practically Family
Different batches of oil-pull can vary in appearance depending on how much they have been stuffed (that's what Horween calls it). I have seen very dark oil-pull with a very slight pull-up effect and I've handled leather that almost looked like suede right out of the box.

Here's the A1 I purchased for my father. It's made from a recent batch, but I don't know if the colour and surface texture are still representative. (It's too short for me I know.)

3028923287_e18e94c453.jpg

3028925329_ed9b80f91a.jpg

3026543285_02ef85e414.jpg

3026540585_62990cbddd.jpg

3027370478_1656548fa6.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
It's not my jacket but due to the fact that the leather is buttery soft it's very easy to open and to close. The buttons are also sewn with a little "stem" to accomodate the the thickness of the leather.

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks, I will do that. Does bodylength include the elastic waist? I never had a jacket like an A2 or A1. And, are there other options what would be a good addition to the jacket? Maybe inner pockets or would that be too much? I like a place to put away my wallet and cell phone safe...
Andy

JanSolo

Practically Family
I think all Aero jackets are measured without the knit (sleeves/body panels).

The original spec for the A1 did not include leather facings on the inside which could accomodate a M422a style pocket. But Aero will include leather facings on special request and add a pocket as well. A friend of mine ordered his jacket this way. Leather facings also make the jacket look a little neater when worn open.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I'd like to share some pictures of my Aero A2 in OilPull HH. I own this jacket for a year and some months, and it is my allmost everyday-jacket (except for when it's too hot outside offcourse):

A2-1-1.jpg

A2-2-1.jpg

A2-3.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Wow, Diego, that's what I call character! Your jacket looks like you've beaten the hell out of it. Love the high spots and how the pocket flaps are slightly deformed by heavy use. Great jacket that has gained a lot of individual character over the last year.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
Wow, Diego, that's what I call character! Your jacket looks like you've beaten the hell out of it. Love the high spots and how the pocket flaps are slightly deformed by heavy use. Great jacket that has gained a lot of individual character over the last year.

I agree Jan! I just love this jacket!! it's a comfortable and strong jacket, very manly.. It's just normal everyday-wear, nothing special, but, unlike some people, I use the pockets for what they're made for: putting stuff in it.. this explains the warped pocket-flaps.. This jacket is gaining character by the day.. I would recommend everyone interested to own at least one oilpull jacket..

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
HighandDry said:
Nice looking jacket!

How's oil pull do in the rain?

at first I was afraid of rain ruining the leather, but Amanda assured me that a bit of rain only contributes to the break-in process.. The leather holds up well in the rain.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Old thread for Aero oil pull A2

djgo-cat-go said:
at first I was afraid of rain ruining the leather, but Amanda assured me that a bit of rain only contributes to the break-in process.. The leather holds up well in the rain.

By the way, Diego, I located your old thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39761

It's interesting to see the amount of changed in the jacket over this brief period. I have to get myself something in oil pull...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy