Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faux Roosevelt - From Orvis

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Orvis is introducing a new "TR Collection" for fall. I think I have mixed feelings about the stuff. Much of it is just re-badged standard Orvis product. The coat and canvas vests are interesting, but what of those pockets? Kinda droopy, especially as the leather wears. The one thing I like is the Bandanna.

The whole business to get you set up to go off Rough Riderin' will set you back about $1,700.00 US.

What do you think of the Orvis Theodore Roosevelt Collection?

07R5G6FH.jpg
18YRFHkhaki.jpg
29E1L6FH.jpg
26PLL6FH.jpg
20R8F6FH.jpg

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Got my Catalog today!!

I thought it was interesting, but its not really in my league. I really like the vest with the large pocket flaps (ammo I guess?). I MISSED the bandanas tho, better go have another look. So I guess when I win the lottery I might get dressed up like TR and give everyone a laugh. I noticed they have a felt fedora for about 150.00. I think we could all do better tho!!!!!!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Right up my street almost-

In name only from the looks- not so authentic to the garments of the era or useage.

A shame but interesting nonetheless and a step in the right direction.

I'm slowly gathering true-to-era adventuring items.
Ones that are useable and sometimes unique.

Gimme a year and I'll have several full vintage ensembles for different genres of adventuring.
I'm working on my 1930s Tyrolean Alpine/Climbing/J?¶ger outfit right now.
The North African khaki gear is on the way to it's fruition.

I've been enjoying the reenactor images in the Spanish Civil War thread.

Closer but no cigae/banana.

It seems clothing vendors are getting into an area where WE have an interest. How did that happen..?

Thanks for the heads-up, Scott.

B
T

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think that stuff looks... well, Bully!

I love the shirt. It is perfect for an Alan Quartermaine looks as well. I think I will have to get one of those. The vest could be Hemingway's. Remember, Teddy was a hero of Ernest's.

Good stuff and a move in the right direction. ;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:

I love the shirt. It is perfect for an Alan Quartermaine looks as well. I think I will have to get one of those. The vest could be Hemingway's. Remember, Teddy was a hero of Ernest's.

I concur on the shirt, but it doesn't come in tall. :mad: I also like the twill pants, and may have to score a pair of those down the road. The sweater and canvas jacket are OK, though nothing extraordinary. The leather vest and jacket are a no go for me. The styling cues are questionable, and the price is too high. I did really like the Canvas Adventurer's Vest, but at $198, I'm afraid not! It's not that great!

Baggers

Practically Family
I got that catalogue this week as well, and unfortunately, most of those offerings didn't really light any fires for me. I like the leather jacket, but the saddlebag pockets were a disappointment, along with the price point. Weren't they also sized S-M-L too? I really prefer actual chest measurement sizing as I take a 42 and most everything from Orvis is too baggy on me in a size large.

Speaking of Alan Quartermaine, I'd really like a good copy of the leather vest that Sean Connery wore in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Very snazzy, and period looking as well.

Mojave, a good alternative to those trousers that might have a more period look would be a pair from a company that makes clothing for the Single Action Shooting crowd. Perhaps something that has a high waist with a split V waistband along with a size adjusting tab and buckle in the back. Suspender buttons as well. About three weeks back, we had the pleasure of being on a twilight tour of Cliff House at Mesa Verde NP for the centennial celebration which was led by a professor from the University of New Mexico, and he was wearing a pair. He was doing living history as Richard Wetherill, the first white man to see the ruins, and it was very effective -- as long as I didn't look at the modern brown leather hikers he was wearing.

Cheers!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I thought the leather vest was kinda cool, but definately not in my price range. The bandana is intriguing, but I have lots of those. The trousers I'm not really into, but the shirt is something that kinda piques my interest.

@Mojave and Baggers: check at Cabelas. I don't have a link, but they have a decently priced leather shooting/safari style jacket that you could remove the sleeves from. When you get there, go to Hunting, then Safari Gear or something along those lines. I think the jacket is something around $200.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Dirty Billy's says this is the Rough Rider hat, $125 in Nutria blend:

us41.jpg

I've got that one bookmarked, waiting for the day I have the spare cash... Nutria, but at least the shape and everything is accurate.

Kodiak, is this the one you were thinking of? Leather Bush Coat That's a good candidate, but I think I have to get some good wear out of it before taking the sleeves off for that price! It would be a sharp vest, though. Connery's is a lot like a jerkin with pockets, a collar, and bullet loops. I like his long duster with the leather collar, too. Another good shot of his vest.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Filson has an interesting new vest-the Mackinaw wool western vest. i have their "regular" wool vest, and I may pick up one of these also.

RBH

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:

I got the shirt awhile back, I really like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner