Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foyle's War UK WW II period police drama

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Foyle's War

For those in UK, the final series, the first of three episodes this year, shows tonight at 9pm on ITV. (Sun 06JAN)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm jealous RAF Man. Absolutely my favourite thing on the telly. I'm going to have to splash out on all the DVD sets so I have the whole thing. Sad in some ways it's coming to an end but it's been magic.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
At least it's great news, that they've produced new episodes. We've had them all on Danish TV - so I only hope the new ones will launch soon.
A truely great series.
As Smithy I am tempted to buy the whole box.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I've seen advertisements for it many times, while watching other programs on PBS, but never watched it. I thought it was a soap opera of sorts. I'm going to give it a try now.;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Can't speak for the latest episodes but I have seen a fair number of the previous episodes and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

Corto

A-List Customer
I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you're in the States, you can get Foyle's War on Netflix.

I also stumbled across another WWII tv drama, "Danger UXB" about bomb disposal units in Britain. I haven't seen it yet. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Corto said:
"Danger UXB"

Now there's a blast from the past! I saw this when it was on telly back home in the 80s and although the mind's a bit fuzzy, I remember this as being pretty good and exciting. If it's on the goggle-box give it a go.

Corto

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Now there's a blast from the past! I saw this when it was on telly back home in the 80s and although the mind's a bit fuzzy, I remember this as being pretty good and exciting. If it's on the goggle-box give it a go.

Thanks for your two cents!
I've been curious about it, but it keeps getting bumped back further and further in my Netflix queue.

(To US viewers, "Danger UXB" is also available on Netflix.)

Windsock

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
"Danger UXB", stars Anthony Andrews, of "Brideshead Revisited" fame.

It was good.

B
T

Was a favourite of mine at the time too.

Watched "FW" on the weekend-it was the episode where the Son (sulky Fighter Pilot) gets a little friendly with the driver (sorry for not providing names but i don't know it that well). One minor thing that bothered me through the entire episode was the way Foyle junior's Peaked cap was scrunched down on his head- it's generally flat, lack of shape reduced the cred a little for me. I found it surprising in a show where to my eye it's mostly spot on but this one just looked like a costume. I also recall another episode where his Irvin also failed to convince...

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
And all the fighter pilots we see have their top buttons done up!

I've been catching up with this at some pace and, with a few very small caveats, enjoying it immensely. Why do I so often miss the good things on TV? :rolleyes:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]And all the fighter pilots we see have their top buttons done up!
[/QUOTE]

Haha! That was something I noticed as well when I saw an early war episode with Foyle's son.

Corto

A-List Customer
I just saw "The German Woman".

At first I felt it was too slowly paced, but then my interest seemed to deepen.

One of the big reasons I liked it was because the murder wasn't too difficult to figure out (but not exactly easy), and was relatively easy to figure out with logic. I absolutely hate murder mysteries where the killer is someone you don't suspect at all, or the methods and motives are completely gonzo.

I thought it was well done, (if a bit slow).

Plus Honeysuckle Weeks is...uh...a honey...

Corto

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
I've seen that one, not bad but not the best episode of Foyle.

I'm going to go through them chronologically.
I think it's a fine show.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
My mum got me into Foyle's War. It's quite good-especially the costumes!
Off topic, but i'm enjoying watching Agatha Christie's dramas on the ABC as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran