Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foyle's War UK WW II period police drama

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's back playing on the ABC on Sunday evenings here, at last an outstanding show to combat the spate of rubbish the commercial stations have been airing at the 8:30pm timeslot.

I've been thoroughly enjoying it, every week features an interesting plot.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Sis. any chance when you have a spare moment to post a pic of you doing your WW2 bit please? Then we can judge for ourselves what 'this something is' that you have, that gets folk thinking you are Honeysuckle Weeks from Foyles War (and with your permission, I can pop it in our members WW2 gallery too!).

Sorry not to see you at 'the do' in London. Next year maybe? (if you are still 'up over' and not 'down under').

I will try but I don't think I have any pics of me in ATS uniform. I will have to see what I can rustle up. I can try and find one of me in my Civies.... here I am doing a Womens Voluntary Service Emergency Washing Post, but you can't see my face very well (and I am frowning at all the inground dirt!)

wvswashday.jpg

Yes, events conspired against me being at the 'do' (also I managed to be ill on that day) but we will have to see about next time.

benstephens

Practically Family
Mis Sis,

I think a lot of it is actually the way you act. You have that bouncy go to it attitude that "Sam" has.

I think from a quick glance I can see why when ever we go out people say you are her!

Ben

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Sam-aholics

So your favourite song is:

"The only girl who could ever love me ...was the daughter of a preacher man...yes she was...yes she was....whoo hhooo duh duh dah ?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Photo of the REAL Honeysuckle and our very own Sis (you make up your mind)

Just found some photos of Honeysuckle Weeks from Foyle's War and there is a STRIKING resemblance between the two. But Sis wins the in the cute stakes by at least a furlong!! And better still, she's ours :)
Miss Sis said:
I will try but I don't think I have any pics of me in ATS uniform. I will have to see what I can rustle up. I can try and find one of me in my Civies.... here I am doing a Womens Voluntary Service Emergency Washing Post, but you can't see my face very well (and I am frowning at all the inground dirt!)

wvswashday.jpg

MAST__003211_0400.jpg

among04a.jpg

dropping my by now standard piece of devil's advocacy into the Foyle's War thread:

Stories . . . good

Costume . . . pretty good, particularly the gammy-legged chap's suits.

Acting:

Foyle: Miserable, inept attempt at appearing cool-ly decisive. Just doesn't work for me (and i generally like Kitchen, he was very good as the king in To Play the King).

The young driver woman: irritating beyond words, possibly the most useless female character outside of Dickens. Did she base her characterisation on Bob from Blackadder?

Gammy-legged chap: Pretty good.

Blackadder_II_-_Bells.jpg

bk

Mr. Pinstripe Suit

New in Town
Avid Anglophile Agrees About Foyle

I discovered Foyle's war a couple of years ago when I learned it was Michael Kitchen's show. He appears somewhat often in BBC4/BBC7 audio dramas so I'm used to him giving fine performances but didn't know what he looked like or how he behaved on film.

Simply put, he's outstanding. :eusa_clap Also, non-US shows seem to (usually) cast people who can really act and who (astonishingly) look like people rather than all models, so it takes the show up a notch. When looking at any series of FW, I'm always happy that it seems like the experiences of real people in a real period going about a real life. At least more real than normally portrayed on TV.

Like most of you, I'll be looking forward to more as often as they come out. I'll be checking NetFlix to see if they have them prior to KQED (San Francisco) carrying them.

Cheers,

-Kevin

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Foyle's War website for you all to check out

It is, of course, www.foyleswar.com.

The more I see of it, the more I've really grown to love the show. Foyle's dogged determination to uphold the law in circumstances that seem to foster lawlessness, and his integrity make him a very admirable character indeed.

Can anyone shed light on why he is referred to as 'Mr Foyle'? I would have thought, being Deetective Chief Superintendent would have entitled him to be addressed as 'Superintendent Foyle.' I suppose the protocol must have been different in his case.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
benstephens said:
Mis Sis,

I think a lot of it is actually the way you act. You have that bouncy go to it attitude that "Sam" has.

I think from a quick glance I can see why when ever we go out people say you are her!

Ben

The cheek of this man - he is my boyfriend!

I could understand it if someone said that after standing round a bit, but they say it the second they see me.

And Paddy, I thank you for your kind words on finding me the better looking of the two :whistling

I will try to post a better picture at some point.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it's great...

...that we have hubbies and wives, boy friends and girlfriends, families..etc in here as members. I think it says a lot about the Lounge, how it is run and how safe people feel in here too!

If we do ever have any problems....well...we just ring up Ch.Supt Foyle!! oh, and Sam of course!!!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Actually, point to make about the acting, the fellow who plays the Gammy Legged man (can never remember his name), it bugs me that he never walks with a limp when he is meant to have a false leg. I think we all know that false legs weren't easy to wear then!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Actually, point to make about the acting, the fellow who plays the Gammy Legged man (can never remember his name), it bugs me that he never walks with a limp when he is meant to have a false leg. I think we all know that false legs weren't easy to wear then!

In the first couple of episodes he actaully did. Well - maybe not a lot. But he did. In the later ones he did not - but if the series starts in early 1940 and the last one is supposed to be around 1943 - he might have learned a few tricks underway. And afterall - it's only a movie;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now that Ch.Supt Christopher Foyle has left the Force...

What do you think are the options open to him now that he is no longer a Senior Police Officer?

Many of his colleagues who are/were middle to senior ranking Police Officers have been seconded or transferred into other more 'military' services, such as MI5; MI6; RMP Special Investigations; Naval Intelligence...etc, etc.

In fact, I remember that a Detective Chief Inspector was transferred into the RMP (Royal Military Police) at the rank of Major. As Foyle is two police ranks higher than a DCI, well...mmmmmm, I wonder where he could go from here? [huh]

He seems to do things 'his way' which doesn't always endere him to others (especially his superiors), and he gets results (which doesn't always win him friends either [huh] ). Plus he's methodical in his methods (his son who is a Spitfire Fighter Pilot) left his degree course in Maths at Oxford to join up!! guess he got his mind from dad!!

I actually really warm to Foyle's character and it's got me thinking. If YOU were writing the next script for Foyle, where would you have his life going now????

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just caught an episode of Foyle night before last, and am wholeheartedly in the "I love Foyle" camp. I appreciate the heck out of the attention to detail. I am just in the middle of Churchill's WWII, vol 3, and I find it fascinating how well this show depicts the uncertainty of that time. Churchill was just about the only person in Britain at that time who was confident that England would not be invaded, and that if it was, the Germans would be annihilated. In 1941 an Allied victory was not a foregone conclusion. Look at the map, and realize that until June 1941 Britain was ALL ALONE fighting the Nazi juggernaut. The thin red line was never thinner.
One thing that does bug me a little is their speech. English English has evolved a lot in the last 70 years, and what passes for good educated speech now would have been considered almost Cockney then. This becomes more pronounced (sorry) the further back you go. Can't be helped, I suppose, but the letter L has all but died out in Britain, and many other changes have taken place, that make me wish I could hear 1940's diction along with all the other wonderful period details in this show.
And I must agree about the female driver, she has less to do than even Saber of London's little American sidekick back in the early 50'. (Anyone remember Saber of London? Great early detective show.)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What's Sam (Miss Sis) going to do now that Foyle has gone?

Maybe Sam might be recruited into SOE (Special Ops) and be dropped over France? (She's got the beret for it!!!) what do you think her future now holds?

(As you all know, we have our very own Sam in Miss Sis, who would run rings around Honeysuckle Weekes!! and beat an Invasion of the English South Coast with one hand!!)

wvswashday.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
As there's more to come, I don't think they allow him to retire! I think top brass will not accept his resignation and force his hand by giving him a promotion.

I don't think a move to MI6 would suit the show. An MI5 / M.O.D job? Mmmmn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran