Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foyle's War UK WW II period police drama

I've been getting the DVDs and VHSs from my local library for a little while. Though the stories are adequate and some of the acting quite commendable, i must say this: The guy who plays Foyle is abominable. Truly the epitomy of 'one-trick-pony'. His driver is one of the most irritating characters i've seen on a British TV series recently. I sometimes wish they'd just careen around the Isle of Man TT circuit and go through a wall in that damn car - killing both of them instantly (but miraculously leaving the car untouched). i don't quite know how i'd script them onto the Isle of Man, but it's a possibility. Then we could focus on:

His assistant (the dude with the aluminium leg), who is a good actor. And his wardrobe is *vintage*. Not vintage inspired. *Vintage*. They must have had a whole bunch of suits lying around in his size in the BBC wardrobe department.

It is a BBC production, right? Actually the filming looks more like ITV, but the BBC may have cut costs too since i've been over here.

bk

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I have seen the first 3 seasons and I'm waiting to get the fourth from netflix, they have all bee quite good. I like MIchael Kitchen's delivery of dialouge, very forward and dry.

Baggers

Practically Family
Are new ones running on A&E? How did I miss this? I've been watching the earlier ones via Netflix, and really enjoy this series. I particularly like Michael Kitchens. He gives a new definition to "subtle performance." I subscribe to the theory that most acting is in the eyes and it's fun studying his face while he works.

How many eps have I missed?

Cheers!

maisie

Practically Family
It is a BBC production, right? Actually the filming looks more like ITV, but the BBC may have cut costs too since i've been over here.

No its an ITV production, they have quite alot of period drama's, like Miss Marple and Poirot.

The new series is over here at the moment, on Sunday evenings, and I personally think its quite good! I love the civvy costumes they have in it and the story lines are interesting too!:)
The lastest series shows the Yanks in a small English village, but I don't think the story, (in the first episode of this series) is as good as some of the previous ones!

Baggers

Practically Family
Nick Charles said:
my mistake thats season 3 I'm waiting on. Season 4 episode2 is on Jan 22 on PBS, I missed the first episode.

I think I just finished up season two, if the last episode was "Funk Hole."

FYI, you do know that Kitchens played Denys Finch-Hatton's friend who died of Black Water Fever in "Out of Africa," didn't you?

I'll be there Sunday night!

Cheers!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I liked him as Barkley Cole and thats what drew me to the series. I hope its on in you neck of the woods, I can't find it in the listings here. Its supposed to be Masterpiece Theatre.

Doh!

One Too Many
I quite enjoyed the handful of episodes I saw on PBS ch. 58 here in Los Angeles last year. They used to be on Saturday nights, but haven't been on for a coupla months now.

The lead reminds me of a sort of British Columbo (not a bumbler, but by his softspoken manner), and I find his driver... adorable.

maisie

Practically Family
In the latest series there is only two episodes, whereas there is ususally four in eash series!:cry: But anyway the second episode is definalty better, with a more interesting story line!!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Foyles War is truely a great series. Intelligent and wellplayed. Very, very british. Refreshing when you have seen too many american look-a-like crime series.;)

Only one thing that really irritates me, is the bad reproductions of Irvins.
Besides that - and if one can live with that - it's the tops!!!!:eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I've seen it a couple of times and quite enjoyed it. I THINK I first saw it in England in 2002, but not sure.

There are a few detective shows from over there that I enjoyed and miss, though most of them are set in contemporary times.

Cheers,
Tom

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went to the PBS website www.pbs.org when this show aired because there were some confusing parts in each episode. [huh] No luck with the company blahblah but upon reading the message boards I found out the scoop: the tv shows were edited for time when broadcast, cutting out some nuances in the plot. Well, I never. So I borrowed the whole DVD set from the public library and I love the show. I like the plots, the acting, the setting, and the costumes.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
It's my favourite of all British TV dramas from the 40's. Very well acted, superbly styled on the era. Any errors can be forgiven and Honeysuckle Weeks makes me go wobbly at the knees. So typically British, what.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Strangely, I am often accused of looking like Sam when doing WW2 events, even when not in a uniform which I rarely ever wear. Needless to say, I don't. I don't have red hair or freckles for a start! People literally come round corners and say "Sam!" or "Honeysuckle Weeks!" at me. Most peculiar.

I liked the first two series but managed to completely miss all the others. Must catch up.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Honeysuckle Sis, our favourite Kiwi WVS gal!

Sis. any chance when you have a spare moment to post a pic of you doing your WW2 bit please? Then we can judge for ourselves what 'this something is' that you have, that gets folk thinking you are Honeysuckle Weeks from Foyles War (and with your permission, I can pop it in our members WW2 gallery too!).

Sorry not to see you at 'the do' in London. Next year maybe? (if you are still 'up over' and not 'down under').

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Strangely, I am often accused of looking like Sam when doing WW2 events, even when not in a uniform which I rarely ever wear. Needless to say, I don't. I don't have red hair or freckles for a start! People literally come round corners and say "Sam!" or "Honeysuckle Weeks!" at me. Most peculiar.

I liked the first two series but managed to completely miss all the others. Must catch up.

Dont worry about that, Miss Sis....she's lovely.
In or out of uniform...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails